Adapter to send VGA feed from HIKvision DVR to Charter-Spectrums COAX line for TV live feed?

Reaction score
Hi, first post here, I'm a technician out in Hawaii for a Fire and Security company, did a install of a HIKvision system in smaller size condo, and their old system had a COAX line that was supposingly used to pull a video feed from the old DVR and feed it over to the cable company (Charter-Spectrum here), so that the residents could watch the feed on their TV's. Bossman picked up THIS to adapt the open VGA video port on the DVR to the BNC terminated COAX cable, but we wern't able to get any video from this. I'm not too familiar with this kind of setup, but I'm suspecting that this adapter box we got is outputting a wrong kind of signal over the COAX for this kind of setup? I still need to call the cable company to find out exactly what kind of signal they need for this feed to work, but was wondering if anyone else is familiar with this setup and any input on what kind of adapter we need to be looking for. Really appreciate any help!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you must have an RF modulator to combine the cable signal with the outcome of the DVR. Maybe something is missing from the original setup

ShadowFox

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running into a similar situation with a jewelry store I put cameras in. They have 5 monitors in the office, and their setup with the old DVR was BNC OUT from DVR into a 1x8 BNC splitter. The BNC splitter then sent signal over coax to each TV, then the BNC was adapted to RCA and plugged into the video in (Yellow RCA) of the TV.

Their old setup is analog. Analog out of the DVR and Analog in to the TVs. What you did with that VGA to SDI converter is send a digital signal over the coax. I bet at the TV they are plugged into an Analog source, thus it can't display the sent signal. Pick up an SDI to HDMI converter, plug the end of the coax at the TV into the SDI port, then run an HDMI from the converter to the TV and see what you get

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is like creating your own dedicated channel (camera) to be combined with the signal of your cable company. In the old days, the analog signal was combined within the cable signal and decoded in a UHF (CH-68) channel to watch the video signal (camera). But with DTV tuners and some cable boxes using exclusively HDMI outputs, is better to consult the cable company.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
actually, I don't think the cable company will help. First talk to the condo administration, on how the tenants access/or use to access the camera signal. If unknown, try visiting an apartment, and figure out how the signal (video cam) was received. If no cable box was needed in the past, maybe it was through a VHF channel. Investigate if cable box is needed today (may ask cable company if a cable box is required, some are only needed for premium channels). I understand a composite (Video Out BNC) modulator, instead of a VGA, but depending on the apartment TV signal requirements, you may need a different modulator (RF, Composite, HDMI). Good luck