Acusense cam comparison: DS-2CD2146G1-IS vs DS-2CD2T86G2-2I

Reaction score
I've now got my hands on a US-spec DS-2CD2146G1-IS and a UK-spec DS-2CD2T86G2-2I. These are obvious different form factor cameras, but I think its still worth comparing because both are Acusense cameras. The DS-2CD2146G1-IS is one generation older than the DS-2CD2T86G2-2I, but the DS-2CDXX46G1-XX is the best fixed lens Acusense camera type available in the USA right now. I haven't had much time either camera yet and the 46G1 is current at another location not installed. Here are my comments thus far:
  • The 86G2 allows both Basic Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection to operate simultaneously. With the 46G1, its one or the other.
  • The 86G2 kicks butt on Smart Event detection. It detects motion way faster than the 46G1.
  • More later...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got some more testing time with the 86G2. One odd issue I found is that Intrusion Detection doesn't work well at 15 fps with 4K resolution. At 12, 16, 18, and 20 fps, the 86G2 readily captures entry into the box, but at 15 fps, I can walk right through without triggering. I tried all frame rates a bunch of times, and 15 fps routinely does not detect.

Another aspect I assessed was video resolution vs encoding conditions. I found CBR to produce a slightly better image when matching CBR bit rate to VBR max bit rate. And there wasn't that much of a data savings using VBR, so I'm not sure I see a reason to use VBR. At 4K resolution in CBR at 15 fps in moderate light conditions, resolution was pretty good all the way down to 6144 kbps. 16,000 kbps is definitely better resolution, but I'm not sure that running that high would help with say something like license plate identification. 8192 kbps is probably a nice middle ground between resolution and data volume.

This camera has a fast processor. The web interface, especially switching to Live View, is very quick - definitely quicker than the 46G1.