Acusense and basic motion detection

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a DS-2CD2086G2-IU (8MP bullet with Acusense) and it runs on firmware V5.7.3 Build 220216. Recording is done by Synology Surveillance Station.
The camera is mounted outside and has a challenging scene for motion detection (plants, birds, clouds, shade etc...) so I hoped the Acusense technology could help me out.

First I set up the Smart Event Intrusion Detection.
I selected an area, configured min and max size, set sensitivity and enabled the "Human" checkbox. At this point the camera did exactly what I wanted it to do. It only triggered on human movement. If I disabled the "Human" checkbox, the camera triggered a lot more because of waving plants etc.. So the Acusense seems to work quite good. The only downside of Intrusion Detection is that the camera only triggers once if movement is detected from outside the area to inside. As long as the person keeps moving within the area no new trigger is fired. This causes a recording stop on the Synology so I end up with a recording of a few seconds around the trigger.

To overcome this issue, I switched to a Basic Event Motion Detection.
In Normal mode I selected the area, set the sensitivity and also checked the "Human" checkbox (which btw is not available in Expert mode?!?). The camera seems to ignore the "Human" checkbox at this point. It triggers on almost every change in scene. So waving plants, sun/shadow changes etc... all of them causes the camera to trigger. There is no difference when I disable the "Human" checkbox.

Is it correct that Acusense should be working in Basic Motion Detection mode and if so, did it work in older firmware? As this is my first Hikvision camera that has Acusense technology, I can't verify if this feature works differently on other camera's.
The end goal is to record human movement for as long as there is movement in an area without too much false alarms.

stevedh42

n3wb
Reaction score
I was having the same problem with a rebadged 8MP Hikvision Camera.
Read that this human detection feature needs to be supported in synology, so decided to do some tests.
Removed the camera from surveillance station and set it up to send recording to a synology share (which also allows it to log properly) and also to ftp to the synology.
I also setup the alarm server to trigger a php script and write the xml in it to a file.

fiddled a bit, and now.
FTPs very accurate human detection.
Motion detection in log also very accurate.
Event recordings (using phone app) for some reason have a few rogue recordings.
Non event recording.. no idea how they are triggered, but quite a few not related to any noticible motion.
alarm server also seems to be sending rogue motion events that are not logged and don't trigger ftp.
so ftp and log accurate... but event recording and alarm server not... (otherwise I could use the alarm server to trigger recordings).

So seems the camera is capable of good human detection (at least in the location I have this camera mounted), however not sure how to get this to work properly with synology yet.

Reaction score
I connected the camera's to Synology surveillance station, but configured the motion detection to be done by the camera. If I change it to surveillance station, I get a lot of false detections because of exposure changes or day/night switch.
Synology does support smart events so it will start a recording if a smart event is triggered, but in my case the trigger comes from the camera.

Smart events do work quite well with the Acusense Human option.
It is basic motion detection that trigger a lot of false motion. Even with the Human option selected it triggers on birds, leafs and even when a very large surface changes from shade to sun or the other way around. Not even similar to human motion.

stevedh42

n3wb
Reaction score
This was with basic motion detection (my camera doesn't have smart motion detection) and even though I ticked the use camera settings, while connected ticking and unticking human detection made no difference. With it not setup on the surveillance station it for the last 4 days has only triggered on humans (for ftp and log) and ignored dogs and cats etc.

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was going to create a new thread, but came across this thread that seems to describe the issue I'm having with my new Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL. I'm trying to both trigger notifications and record to local SD card ONLY for Human and Vehicle detection. When I check the Human and Vehicle checkboxes, I only get notifications for Humans and Vehicles correctly, and the app Notifications section only lists motion detection notifications for Humans and Vehicles, however when going t playback in the web interface, I see the camera still records all day long to the local SD card from trees and other objects moving around in the wind.

What's interesting is the Dahua 4k-T camera I have will do the same thing if I have the sensitivity for the motion detection region at anything other than 0. For basic motion detection, the Dahua cameras have a separate sensitivity setting for Human and Vehicle detection where you can set it to High, Medium, or Low. The Hikvision cameras do not.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was going to create a new thread, but came across this thread that seems to describe the issue I'm having with my new Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL. I'm trying to both trigger notifications and record to local SD card ONLY for Human and Vehicle detection. When I check the Human and Vehicle checkboxes, I only get notifications for Humans and Vehicles correctly, and the app Notifications section only lists motion detection notifications for Humans and Vehicles, however when going t playback in the web interface, I see the camera still records all day long to the local SD card from trees and other objects moving around in the wind.

What's interesting is the Dahua 4k-T camera I have will do the same thing if I have the sensitivity for the motion detection region at anything other than 0. For basic motion detection, the Dahua cameras have a separate sensitivity setting for Human and Vehicle detection where you can set it to High, Medium, or Low. The Hikvision cameras do not.
For Dahua cameras, you should set up IVS rules and record based on that and do not enable MD or SMD and then it will only record based on human or vehicle triggers.

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj The problem I have with IVS rules is that, with the way I understand they work nd from experimenting, is that they won't continuously record for a human and vehicle within a region like basic motion detection will. So, if it's 3 am and someone does someone is roaming around in the view of the camera, I'd like to continuously record what they're doing.

I've seen a lot of people wanting to do exactly what I want - record for Vehicles and Humans in a large area, including the street and sidewalks, so you don't miss anything that goes on in your neighborhood, however only trigger notifications on Humans and Vehicles on your property. In the case that one of your neighbors is a victim or suspect in a crime and the police come by asking if you happen to have any video between two time ranges of a certain area, you don't want to be empty handed.

The Dahua cameras work perfect for this:
To make this work you can use basic video detection combined with SMD to record all humans and vehicles in the entire field of view of the camera. In order to only record on Humans and Vehicles, the trick is you have to set the sensitivity to 0 for the motion detection region, otherwise the camera will still record on ANY motion that hits the sensitivity level, not just vehicles and humans with SMD enabled. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.

Anyhow, on top of this, you then add IVS intrusion rules to trigger upon intrusion onto my property, and send email alerts as well. In the DMSS app, you can then only enable push notifications for Intrusion Alarm, and not SMD.

For the Hikvision cameras, you can do the same thing. However you cannot only have motion detection record on vehicle and human. It will always record on all motion even when human and vehicle is selected. The thing that's MUCH better about the Hikvision cameras is that you can disable the push notifications through the camera's web interface itself by unchecking the "Notify Surveillance Center" linkage method. What's more important is that you can easily change this option with home automation systems.

So, when I need to mow the lawn, do other work outside, or other times where I don't need to get notifications for people on my property, I just click a widget on my phone to put my home automation system into "Home Mode", in which I have an event that fires and tells the Hikvision API to turn off the "Notify Surveillance Center" linkage method for Intrusion Detection. I have other modes such as "Away" and "Night" that when fired tells the Hikvision API to turn on the "Notify Surveillance Center" linkage method for Intrusion Detection. It works great and I don't see why everyone wouldn't want the same capabilities.

To get a similar type of behavior with the Dahua with automation, you have to completely disable the IVS intrusion rule in "Home" mode via the API.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or you set up two IVS rules - one for the bigger areas you mention thst you want recorded but not notified and then an IVS rule for the area you want an alert for and tell dmss which one to alert you for.

Or with a more robust VMS system than the camera on board system you can accomplish what you want regardless of camera brand....

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So you only want the events recorded to the SD card and not continuous? Did you change the recording schedule to events only?

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj Regarding the two IVS rule method - I tried that at first, but in DMSS it doesn't let me choose which IVS rule I want to receive alerts from, it's either all or none. I wish it did. The only option I see in DMSS Intrusion Alarm is "IPC". I spent several days struggling with this when I first got the camera because I thought I had seen a screenshot from someone's app that showed you could select which IVS rules to receive alerts from in DMSS, but that's not the case for me. I have two IVS rules built below is what I see in DMSS. Does this look the same for you?

I've had a Blue Iris license for 10 years, but currently don't have anything to run it on (I will be looking soon). I also read a lot of people saying Deepstack doesn't work very well. So, I would probably rely on the camera's vehicle and human detection and notification and recording, and rely on Blue Iris and Deepstack just for off property recording. Does that make sense?

I'm still struggling on which of the color 1/1.2 sensor cameras I have that I want to continue with - the Dahua 4k-T, Dahua 4k-X, or the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL. They all have major pros and cons. I'm going to start a new thread at some point here for comparing them.

Push0.jpg

And under the Intrusion Alarm IVS notification settings:

Push1.jpg

Last edited:

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So you only want the events recorded to the SD card and not continuous? Did you change the recording schedule to events only?
@Vandoe Yes, my schedule is setup to event only.
If I go under Basic Event > Motion Detection, check Human and Vehicle, the Hikvision camera records on any motion, not just vehicles and humans, however I only get notifications in the app for vehicles and humans.

This is from last night - pretty much all just shadows and trees moving around triggering motion. I can even see the dynamic analysis squares showing it kicking off recording on trees and shadows. When it does pick up a vehicle or human, I see the box surrounding the Acusense object as well as the basic motion detection squares around the object. I've been in touch with the seller about this, and tried an unreleased firmware version a couple of days ago, but the issue still persists. There's also a new bug in the firmware I got that as you can see periodically recording stops altogether. (It's now 09:30 and you see there hasn't been anything recorded). Thankfully I didn't get this camera direct from China (learned not to do that a while ago) and have at least some leverage until my return window is up to get this fixed before I'm forced to return it. Hopefully they have a decent relationship with Hikvision.

Just a note regarding Hikvision vs Dahua Vehicle and Human detection: They both work decent, but Dahua's seems to be better. One example of this is 2 nights ago I had headlights trigger intrusion detection in my Hikvision Acusense intrusion detection region and I got an alert for it. The car wasn't even close to my intrusion detection region. I've also had it where Hikvision has misses. A lot of people think their camera's Vehicle and Human detection works great because that's all they're getting alerted to. However, they aren't thinking about what vehicles and humans they're NOT getting alerted for. I wouldn't have known if I didn't have 3 different manufacturer cameras all pointed at the same target area (with the human and vehicle detection sensitivity on very high ranges).

Acusense-Recording-All-Motion.jpg

RecordSchedule.jpg

Motion Config

MotionConfig.jpg

Last edited:

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Vandoe
You only use that drop down box to select what you're going to apply to the schedule when you build the schedule out, the result of which shows in the schedule below. The purple bars you see in the schedule show you that the camera will only record on an event during those time frames (refer to the color coded legend on the right).
Also, if a camera was set to continuous recording, there would be no breaks in the timeline.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since you are under the motion screen and have selected the human and vehicle (and not smart event) have you changed the recording schedule to motion?

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Motion detection is considered an Event (see screenshot below - motion detection is under "Basic Event"). You can see from the playback timeline that it does record on motion events. Sadly, when you check of vehicle and human, it still records on any motion. However, there are long breaks where no video is recorded at all with this latest firmware. For 5 hours this morning the camera did not record at all, then suddenly decided to start recording again on any motion.

1668617124272.png

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’m trying to assist away from home at work so can’t log in right now, just trying to think of ideas. But I am now curious as to why you can’t get it working. When I get home I will go to web settings and see if anything stands out and may play around with it some. I record to the NVR and an SD card.

Did you draw a box and use the min and max or did you just leave the entire camera view as the detection area?

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Vandoe Do you have an Acusense camera with the same configuration options as mine where you can choose Vehicle and Human under Event > Basic Event > Motion Detection?
It would be good to know if someone else's camera is also recording to SD card for all motion, not just vehicle or car when these checkboxes are checked.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Vandoe Do you have an Acusense camera with the same configuration options as mine where you can choose Vehicle and Human under Event > Basic Event > Motion Detection?
It would be good to know if someone else's camera is also recording to SD card for all motion, not just vehicle or car when these checkboxes are checked.
yes I have the exact model as you but in 4mp. That’s why I was going to play around and see if I could help you out.

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh perfect. What NVR do you have by the way? I've had a license for a long, long time for Blue Iris, but I currently don't have a nice low power system to run it on. If I have Blue Iris, I think it would help workaround some of the limitations I'm running into.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh perfect. What NVR do you have by the way? I've had a license for a long, long time for Blue Iris, but I currently don't have a nice low power system to run it on. If I have Blue Iris, I think it would help workaround some of the limitations I'm running into.
I have the acusense NVR as well. It’s a new system though so I am learning on it as well. I record it to the NVR and the SD just for a back up.