Acusense 2.0 and ColorVu 2.0

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Someone here gets it.

I've been dealing with video for years, both in my time as a police detective and via my side business.

It's amazing how many people--both industry professionals and enthusiasts just don't get it. That extends to people here as well.

In general, video is useless if it cannot identify people and vehicles. If you can't resolve faces and license plates, all the system is doing is showing you that something happened. Which you already know because something is gone, damaged, etc.

The one exception to your statement is if you hear a bump in the night and want to quickly assess whether or not it could be a home invasion in progress. For that reason, well designed systems will have a few overwatch views.

But if you have to choose, choose zoomed in views that give up situational awareness in exchange for capturing evidence.

Probably the only thing that displays more incompetence is the use of IR illumination outside of LPR or other special situations. Lighting is higher priority in a security plan than cams. You are always far better off with the possibility of deterring a crime than capturing it.

This is more important than ever in certain areas like NY where in general, nothing happens to criminals, even if they get caught. Between bail reform in NY and the state of CT doing nothing to juveniles, the criminals are more concerned with getting caught in the act (and being victims of violence themselves) than getting arrested later.

Agree 100%
I’m forever advising folks to focus on getting the money shot. Think in terms of choke points to get facial ID and or License Plates. I learned long ago that’s really the only things LE can make use of.

Overview cameras can also help with vehicles to match the plate to the color/make/model as well. That’s why all 3 of our HOA LPR cams have companion overview cams covering the capture area.

Unfortunately most homeowners simply want wide views and won’t understand until AFTER the event.

J5TECH

n3wb
Reaction score
Agree 100%
I’m forever advising folks to focus on getting the money shot. Think in terms of choke points to get facial ID and or License Plates. I learned long ago that’s really the only things LE can make use of.

Overview cameras can also help with vehicles to match the plate to the color/make/model as well. That’s why all 3 of our HOA LPR cams have companion overview cams covering the capture area.

Unfortunately most homeowners simply want wide views and won’t understand until AFTER the event.
I'd be curious to see how you have your LPR camera installed along side your other camera.

Also which cameras are you currently using for LPR and standard wide view camera?

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Typically a Z12 for LPR and a 5442 for overview, though I also use a PTZ as a 3rd LPR cam as well.

1) Entrance to our neighborhood has a pole with both overview VF 5442 bullets and the PTZ/LPR cam. The PTZ does double duty as a human tracker at the entrance as well as LPR on exiting vehicles. (see PTZ review here)

IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2088.JPG

The 5442 pointing towards the entrance gets the overview for exiting vehicles. (I use the other 5442 pointing into the neighborhood as a spotter to tell the PTZ to zoom into the exit to catch plates of exiting vehicles.
Spotter cam - car passes tripwire and tells PTZ to Zoom to the exit

The 5442 always aimed at the entrance/exit gets overview
HOA Entr_IP PTZ Camera_main_20201223075500_@3.jpg HOA Entr_Entrance_main_20201223075458_@3.jpg

2) Out of sight mounted on the back of the brick wall facing into the neighborhood is a Z12 for LPR for vehicles entering the neighborhood. The 5442 aimed that direction (that's also the same spotter cam above) gets overview.
HOA Entr_EntrTag_main_20201223095119_@3.jpg HOA Entr_StreetView_main_20201223095119_@3.jpg

3) Same at the cul-desac, we have another Z12 for LPR and a 5442 3.6mm bullet for overview mounted on same type of pole
HOA Rear_Tag_main_20201223130855_@4.jpg HOA Rear_Overview_main_20201223130851_@4.jpg

Last edited:

Bulat

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. Why do you need 8mp?
I have a 50-foot fence in the front and a 90-foot fence in the back, and I was thinking about using an Acusense camera with light and siren to trigger an alarm if someone tries to climb over my fence.
This is the reason why I wanted to use 8mp as it has a longer operating range.
And maybe I'll use a ColorVu camera to monitor the area in front of my gate and fence.

What do you think of this arrangement? Is this still overkill?

I need your advice guys, I want to use the minimum number of cameras. This is my first CCTV setup.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a 50-foot fence in the front and a 90-foot fence in the back, and I was thinking about using an Acusense camera with light and siren to trigger an alarm if someone tries to climb over my fence.
MP isn't going to help you with that. You need zoom or a tight focal range

gecko

n3wb
Reaction score
Typically a Z12 for LPR and a 5442 for overview, though I also use a PTZ as a 3rd LPR cam as well.

1) Entrance to our neighborhood has a pole with both overview VF 5442 bullets and the PTZ/LPR cam. The PTZ does double duty as a human tracker at the entrance as well as LPR on exiting vehicles. (see PTZ review here)

View attachment 77644 View attachment 77645

The 5442 pointing towards the entrance gets the overview for exiting vehicles. (I use the other 5442 pointing into the neighborhood as a spotter to tell the PTZ to zoom into the exit to catch plates of exiting vehicles.
Spotter cam - car passes tripwire and tells PTZ to Zoom to the exit

The 5442 always aimed at the entrance/exit gets overview
View attachment 77652 View attachment 77647

2) Out of sight mounted on the back of the brick wall facing into the neighborhood is a Z12 for LPR for vehicles entering the neighborhood. The 5442 aimed that direction (that's also the same spotter cam above) gets overview.
View attachment 77648 View attachment 77649

3) Same at the cul-desac, we have another Z12 for LPR and a 5442 3.6mm bullet for overview mounted on same type of pole
View attachment 77651 View attachment 77650

Awesome!

n3wb
Reaction score
^ See the specs, look for "Depth Of Focus", if availabe for the camera You are looking for. For example, this is for 4 K ColorVu Fixed Bullet Network Camera DS-2CD2087G2-L(U) the shortest focus will start from 13 meters with 6 mm lens, and so on. With 4 MP cameras the focus begins usually at shorter distance than 8 MP.

Depth Of Focus
2.8 mm: 4.5 m to ∞
4 mm: 7 m to ∞
6 mm: 13 m to ∞

For some reason seems like the "Depth Of Focus" information is not available for every Hikvision camera. :confused:

n3wb
Reaction score
4 MP ColorVu Fixed Turret Network Camera DS-2CD2347G2-L(U)

Depth Of Focus
2.8 mm, 2.5 m to ∞
4 mm, 3.5 m to ∞
6 mm, 7.5 m to ∞

See alos DORI (detect, observe, recognize, identify) distances if availabe.

• DORI
    2.8 mm, D: 65 m, O: 21 m, R: 13 m, I: 6 m
    4 mm, D: 72 m, O: 28 m, R: 14 m, I: 7 m
    6 mm, D: 109 m, O: 43 m, R: 21 m, I: 10 m