Accessing NVR via DMSS on WiFi overloading internet connection

potsiea

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2/L with one IPC-HPW2831S-S-S2 connected to it. I have it setup with a Tripwire Alarm that comes through to DMSS on an Android phone. If i access a Tripwire alert in DMSS via the Home Wi-Fi network, it causes my Router (4G Wireless) to lose internet connectivity and no devices can access the internet until i reboot the internet or if I show some patience maybe 10-15 minutes (i normally just reboot). The only way i can avoid this currently is to force the DMSS App to only use mobile data, even when at home and connected to the local network.

DMSS is set up to only play the sub stream from the NVR.

Any ideas on what maybe causing this behaviour and what i can do to fix it?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2/L with one IPC-HPW2831S-S-S2 connected to it. I have it setup with a Tripwire Alarm that comes through to DMSS on an Android phone. If i access a Tripwire alert in DMSS via the Home Wi-Fi network, it causes my Router (4G Wireless) to lose internet connectivity and no devices can access the internet until i reboot the internet or if I show some patience maybe 10-15 minutes (i normally just reboot). The only way i can avoid this currently is to force the DMSS App to only use mobile data, even when at home and connected to the local network.

DMSS is set up to only play the sub stream from the NVR.

Any ideas on what maybe causing this behaviour and what i can do to fix it?
HI @potsiea

hmm ... Perhaps try a better WiFI Router?
( some routers are better for video streams than others .. so I am just guessing at this point .. )

Note, this is one reason why I prefer not to have security camera video stream over my internet router.

potsiea

n3wb
Reaction score
HI @potsiea

hmm ... Perhaps try a better WiFI Router?
( some routers are better for video streams than others .. so I am just guessing at this point .. )

Note, this is one reason why I prefer not to have security camera video stream over my internet router.
Thanks. I've tried three different routers so far and all had the same behavior, so I expect it is a problem with all routers using the "my default" network settings for the NVR & Router. Maybe those settings need to change.

Bizarre thing is it is only a problem when accessing the NVR from within the LAN, with external access no problem

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I've tried three different routers so far and all had the same behavior, so I expect it is a problem with all routers using the "my default" network settings for the NVR & Router. Maybe those settings need to change.

Bizarre thing is it is only a problem when accessing the NVR from within the LAN, with external access no problem
I have a NVR 5216-16P-I/L (from Andy) and use DMSS I dont log into the app I just use as is using the S/N QR code to set it up and I have no isses with my phone (iPhone) either with the sub stream or the main stream over my LAN. I have a AX router and the iPhone is new enough to use WPA3, but your router should be able to do the job, is it your own equipment or a ISP device? Have you set DMSS to use Hard Decoding? I found that on some phones that can help. Also how new is your Android phone? Modern phones iOS or Android vevices both have stupidly fast CPU's and should be able to cope. I have my phone set to use the 5Ghz band as that has more bandwidth than 2.4Ghz. also I have dMSS set to 10 seconds vido length which is more than enough. What are your settings can I ask?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a NVR 5216-16P-I/L (from Andy) and use DMSS I dont log into the app I just use as is using the S/N QR code to set it up and I have no isses with my phone (iPhone) either with the sub stream or the main stream over my LAN. I have a AX router and the iPhone is new enough to use WPA3, but your router should be able to do the job, is it your own equipment or a ISP device? Have you set DMSS to use Hard Decoding? I found that on some phones that can help. Also how new is your Android phone? Modern phones iOS or Android vevices both have stupidly fast CPU's and should be able to cope. I have my phone set to use the 5Ghz band as that has more bandwidth than 2.4Ghz. also I have dMSS set to 10 seconds vido length which is more than enough. What are your settings can I ask?
Hi @Killhippie

Normally I do not like QR scans as those games normally open up my router and LAN to external hacks by opening up port forwarding ... not certain if that is the case with the Dahua DMSS ..

I am more old school info security and want my LAN and my video CCTV / surveillance cameras locked down better than most.

Hopefully some with more experience with DMSS can suggest ideas.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I am more old school info security and want my LAN and my video CCTV / surveillance cameras locked down better than most.
Lemmie fix that for you: :thumb:

I am more old school chose to employ best practices in info security and want my LAN and my video CCTV / surveillance cameras locked down better than most.

potsiea

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't have Hard Decoding turned on - now it is
DMSS is set to 10s
The latest router is an ISP supplied Smart Modem 2 . Spark Smart Modem | Experience Reliable WiFi | Spark NZ
The other two were a Huawei B618 & ASUS RT68U.
Band steering automatically swaps between 2.4 & 5 GHz, and I am in close proximity so probably using 5
Phone is only a couple of years old if that. Samsung S10e

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't have Hard Decoding turned on - now it is
DMSS is set to 10s
The latest router is an ISP supplied Smart Modem 2 . Spark Smart Modem | Experience Reliable WiFi | Spark NZ
The other two were a Huawei B618 & ASUS RT68U.
Band steering automatically swaps between 2.4 & 5 GHz, and I am in close proximity so probably using 5
Phone is only a couple of years old if that. Samsung S10e
A lot depend son how much bandwidth you are using, and if your router can handle it. I dont know your equipment as I'm in the UK. There should be no reason for your issues unless the router is struggling with how many devices you have connected, can you see CPU usage and memory usage in the GUI?

potsiea

n3wb
Reaction score
I had checked the Ram and CPU loadings previously and they were low.

But.... Hard Decoding is making a difference. I haven't reported back as I want to give it longer before uncrossing my fingers, but it seems to have fixed the problem as it was the only thing I changed.

Thank you!