Accessing Dahua NVR using VPN

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all

First of all i am able tho access the NVR interface locally via Wi-Fi and all is ok in that regard.

But now I am tying to access my Dahua 5216 NVR remotely using a VPN set up on a netgear XR500 router.

I have set up the ddns side of things with no-ip and that looks good ( I think )

I have also downloaded and installed the openvpn connect app on my android phone and created and imported the certificate created on the router. Using this vpn profile i am able to remotely connect and access my router webUI, my intruder alarm webUI and the webUI of the 2 tp-link switches i have installed.

In fact the only webUI that i cannot access is the Dahua NVR. It cannot find and times out.

Currently i have the NVR internet access blocked in the router using the mac address. I have also given the NVR a static IP of 192.168.1.5 and a gateway of the same. The idea here is again to further prevent internet access. I have tried changing the gateway to its correct setting off 192.168.1.1 but i still unable to access.

I thought using the vpn was like me sitting at home and didn't think these settings would matter.

Any ideas

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Vpn works with ip address. You blocked the Mac address. So the nvr interface will never be accessed by the internet, that is anything on the internet, even your phone.

A job well done in providing all the needed info on your problem

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @SouthernYankee

I have unblocked the mac address and i have also set the correct gateway and i am able to access remotely.

I thought the advantage of the vpn was it was like your sitting at home on your own network. Since this worked over WiFi etc i thought it was good to go lol

I have 1 more question. I have p2p and auto updates disabled on the nvr and all cameras. As the nvr now has the correct gateway and it's mac address allowed internet access Is there anything more i should be doing from a network security perspective?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you have a good setup for the nvr. Do a port scan on the router to verify that there are no improper ports open

I ran into the Mac address VPN problem when I started. I did exactly what you did.