A tiny radioactive battery could keep your future phone running for 50 years

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Except... I've been watching the newest, latest, greatest "new" battery hype ever since I got my first quadcopter. Each of these new batteries have had one simple thing in common... after the announcement, after the hype... they disappear, never to be heard from again....

Reaction score
Except... I've been watching the newest, latest, greatest "new" battery hype ever since I got my first quadcopter. Each of these new batteries have had one simple thing in common... after the announcement, after the hype... they disappear, never to be heard from again....
You don't want to put 9 yr old Africans out of work mining Cobalt do you?

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I first got in the trades around 1998 I seen exit signs that were running off some sort of nuclear material. Probably the same stuff we see in the gun sights? Anyways you don't see them used anymore.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With all that being said… I’ve worked at tech, NFL stadiums, community colleges and airports and haven’t installed them in the last 15 years. Even at all cement jails and haven’t used them since the 90’s. Entities must think they are too complicated to deal with seeing the regulations you linked.

Thanks for the info!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems so. They do still sell them. Looks like it costs ~$100+ to dispose of them. Between that and tracking them and potential fines from somebody just tossing one in the trash, probably not worth the trouble.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
They're great but they don't last forever. I've been through a few sets over the years. Whatever they used in my ACOG is still going strong for a long, long time. Probably a matter of volume too. Not much in the little dots on a pistol site.