A bit confused on a doorbell

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have a Nest doorbell, works great except for 2 things:
1) Have to pay for service.
2) Can not use it with my Hikvision NVR.

I have read these two post:
EZVIZ DB1C
RCA Doorbell

After reading all the DB1C stuff, unless I missed something, it wont work with my NVR and give motion detect triggers?
I have a PTZ camera on my garage, that I would love to have the doorbell trigger PTZ movement to zoom in on the door. I could add a bullet cam for this but would rather have it come from the doorbell.

I may be asking for something that is not yet available.
I need:
1) Work with Google assistant. (Have a disabled person at home) Right now my Google display will display almost instant video if the doorbell is rung.
2) NO CLOUD CHARGES
3) Able to record on my Hikvision NVR (Motion only would be best.

Did I miss a doorbell I should be looking at?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Can your Hikvision connect to any cam that has an RTSP stream? If so, then the DB1C will work fine on it. I have that doorbell and it works "ok". Honestly, none of the doorbell cams are very good.

No idea about Google Assistant however.

Reaction score
Can your Hikvision connect to any cam that has an RTSP stream? If so, then the DB1C will work fine on it. I have that doorbell and it works "ok". Honestly, none of the doorbell cams are very good.
I'll agree to the "none of the doorbell cams are very good".
Here's why:
1. They eliminate features necessary to be a good surveillance camera:
a) web interface for settings/setup
b) wired connection
c) No ability to defined multiple users for security
2. They don't work well as SIP/telephony devices
a) cloud-based, slow
b) generally lower-speed processors
3. They're cloud-based. Ugh.
4. Their smart phone apps are less than slick.
Yeah, they work, but they're clunky/slow/obnoxious.

ManFromKC

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read almost every thread about Doorbells. I'm in the same boat, the Nest Hello is my last cloud device. I could not find anything suitable that played well with blue iris and would sent events that Home Assistant could pick up. They all are just OK, or too big and look like a phone book next to your door. I'm going the route of making a dumb doorbell smart with the use of a Shelly1. When the "dumb doorbell" is pressed the shelly1 that is wired into the doorbell system will send an MQTT message to node-red/home assistant and it will turn on a virtual switch (input_boolean). When the switch is activated it will send a Persistent Notification via the Home Assistant iOS app to our phones and tapping the notification will bring up the camera streams and node-red will send a TTS message to a Google Hub with an announcement then stream the video of a camera that is mounted in an overhang by the door to the Google hub. I can change this to a TV or multiple devices that support media stream via home assistant.

If you don't use home assistant then this probably sounds like rubbish lol.

BobW55

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do use home assistant (Google) I love that when the doorbell is pressed, with in 2 seconds an image is being shown on the home assistant screen (Google nest hub)
I just want to do away with the CLOUD. I have a 6TB NVR, I don't need no stinking cloud.

livebild

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll agree to the "none of the doorbell cams are very good".
Here's why:
1. They eliminate features necessary to be a good surveillance camera:
a) web interface for settings/setup
b) wired connection
c) No ability to defined multiple users for security
2. They don't work well as SIP/telephony devices
a) cloud-based, slow
b) generally lower-speed processors
3. They're cloud-based. Ugh.
4. Their smart phone apps are less than slick.
Yeah, they work, but they're clunky/slow/obnoxious.
I think the latest Dahua doorbell fulfills all your requirements (VTO2202F-P).
Even the smart phone app (DMSS) works correctly, but you can use Home Assistant if you don't like the interface.

Bacchus

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a Nest doorbell, works great except for 2 things:
1) Have to pay for service.
2) Can not use it with my Hikvision NVR.

I have read these two post:
EZVIZ DB1C
RCA Doorbell

After reading all the DB1C stuff, unless I missed something, it wont work with my NVR and give motion detect triggers?
I have a PTZ camera on my garage, that I would love to have the doorbell trigger PTZ movement to zoom in on the door. I could add a bullet cam for this but would rather have it come from the doorbell.

I may be asking for something that is not yet available.
I need:
1) Work with Google assistant. (Have a disabled person at home) Right now my Google display will display almost instant video if the doorbell is rung.
2) NO CLOUD CHARGES
3) Able to record on my Hikvision NVR (Motion only would be best.

Did I miss a doorbell I should be looking at?
Hi Bob

The DB1 can record to a Micro SD card inside the doorbell. It can take up to 128GB I believe. This card is necessary for the DB1 recordings to be displayed on the phone app. If you are happy with it just recording to an NVR then you don't need that.

I have recently purchased an Ezviz DB1 doorbell and successfully connected it to my existing DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P/A Hikvision NVR recording on PIR event.

Overall very pleased with it. Had some issues with the mechanical chime not working when the doorbell was pressed. I upgraded the transformer to 16VAC

I cannot help with the Google listening device as I do not posses one, sorry.

Hope that helps

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm like a lot of people...I don't like paying subscriptions and be at the mercy of price increases OR the company I'm tied to going out of business. I don't like relying on someone pressing the doorbell before I get notification that someone is on my property. As you know, it's quite common for delivery services and those leaving flyers at the front door to never ring the doorbell. For front door coverage I decided to leave the doorbell as is and install a couple of cams that I think do a much better job than a doorbell cam could do. Here is what I did:

Package Cam and Walkway Cam
Doorway Cam
Delivery Surveillance

I get a text message as someone walks onto my property, when they are on the walkway, when they are at the front door and when they leave a package. Usually there are 5 text messages in a row with a pic of the person at various locations during their approch to the front door.

tne7laa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Bacchus
I have recently purchased an Ezviz DB1 doorbell and successfully connected it to my existing DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P/A Hikvision NVR recording on PIR event.
I have also an Ezviz DB1 and a Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-K2. I can connect it via the Hikvision protocol (port 8000) and also tried RTSP stream (port 554).
Problem is that I can't get it recording. Nothing works. I have multiple Hikvision and RTSP devices and al can record.
Maybe some one can help. I don't intend to flash with other firmware due missing of functions.

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Bacchus

I have also an Ezviz DB1 and a Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-K2. I can connect it via the Hikvision protocol (port 8000) and also tried RTSP stream (port 554).
Problem is that I can't get it recording. Nothing works. I have multiple Hikvision and RTSP devices and al can record.
Maybe some one can help. I don't intend to flash with other firmware due missing of functions.
How is the EZVIZ DB1. I can get one at a reduced price and wondering if I should make a purchase. Have been waiting a long time for a good doorbell and it seems that none are forthcoming (at a modest price)

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
How is the EZVIZ DB1. I can get one at a reduced price and wondering if I should make a purchase. Have been waiting a long time for a good doorbell and it seems that none are forthcoming (at a modest price)
I have the DB1 and the newer DB1C. I would suggest the DB1C over the DB1. Not only is it cheaper (retail price), but the picture is much sharper. At times it can have too much contrast or sharpness, but the DB1 has a very soft picture. With the DB1, you could hardly read the "Welcome" on my doormat while with the DB1C you can read it clear as day. Plus the DB1C has a larger horizontal FOV. It means I can see my entire front porch instead of just in front of the door. It also has 2.4/ 5ghz wifi instead of just the 2.4ghz that the DB1 has.

Last edited:

tne7laa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think it is a reasonable doorbell. I have one with the extension kit: Chime and transformator (Netherlands, Europe).
Do not expect to much. But I'm not an expert. I cannot compare with other doorbells. What I find the biggest problem is the WiFi range of the doorbell. There is about 5 meters between the hotspot and sometimes indicates that it goes offline. Have to take the power off/on. Do not know if that is due to my WiFi router or the doorbell. Talking to people at the door is also disappointing and you are always delayed. Nice that he can record on SD card.
I actually wanted to record on my Hikvision NVR as well but is not lucky so far. I think Ezviz shielded that.
Until now I am satisfied with the doorbell that I can see who is or has been at the door. For a small price it is an option I think.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
My DB1C has been running for a couple months. Not any issues with it. I turned off its chime notification so that I'm not alerted when someone presses a button. I don't need it nor do I use any of the two-way talk features. There is never anyone that comes to my door that I need to talk to that I wouldn't let in. I basically just treat it as a regular camera. It streams 24x7 to my BI server. I don't use any of its features other than just treat it as another camera to connect to my BI machine.

Reaction score
I've read almost every thread about Doorbells. I'm in the same boat, the Nest Hello is my last cloud device. I could not find anything suitable that played well with blue iris and would sent events that Home Assistant could pick up. They all are just OK, or too big and look like a phone book next to your door. I'm going the route of making a dumb doorbell smart with the use of a Shelly1. When the "dumb doorbell" is pressed the shelly1 that is wired into the doorbell system will send an MQTT message to node-red/home assistant and it will turn on a virtual switch (input_boolean). When the switch is activated it will send a Persistent Notification via the Home Assistant iOS app to our phones and tapping the notification will bring up the camera streams and node-red will send a TTS message to a Google Hub with an announcement then stream the video of a camera that is mounted in an overhang by the door to the Google hub. I can change this to a TV or multiple devices that support media stream via home assistant.

If you don't use home assistant then this probably sounds like rubbish lol.
Dahua VTO/VTH villa intercom interfaces with Blue Iris which by extension, can send MQTT topics. It's not a super fancy camera (720p?) but it's just for that immediate vicinity.