8-camera system feedback requested

jarid

n3wb
Reaction score
Newbie trying to put cameras around my house.

I have Charter internet with the plan on connecting it to a Linksys WRT1900ACS router.
  • Feeds a desktop computer used from internet browsing, Netflix streaming, etc.
  • Feeds a Linksys LGS308p POE router about 75 feet away.
    • Feeds a Windows 7 8MB RAM computer (only used for the cameras).
    • Feeds 4 dome cameras (Dahua IPC-HDW1300E) all within 100 feet of this router.
    • Feeds another Linksys LGS308p POE router about 100 feet away.
      • Feeds remaining 4 dome cameras (Dahua IPC-HDW1300E) all within 200 feet of this router.
Misc:
  • I will be running Cat6 stranded cable.
  • From incoming internet feed to furthest camera is about 500 feet.
  • The intent is to access the cameras via 4 smartphones (Android and iOS) throughout the day/evening. Maybe 3-4 daily viewings per phone for a minute or so per camera. (Just checking the property ...no on-going visual monitoring.)
  • I would like a stream-recording from each camera saved for at least 1 week.
  • I have a no-ip.com account to handle DDNS.

Questions:
  1. Can my Windows 7 8MB RAM computer handle this?
  2. What software do you recommend?
  3. Are my routers okay?
  4. Is the distance between the routers and cameras okay?
  5. Can I eliminate the 2nd router?
  6. Will computer/software handle a future expansion of 5-8 cameras?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@jarid few quick notes

1. Do NOT use stranded cable for these long runs, you want to assure you have solid core.
Example and great product: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13563
2. Also note for what you're doing Cat5e will work just fine - Cat 6 isn't needed, unless you just want to future proof things or get a good deal on some. Even 4k cameras are capable of utilizing cat 5e.
3. POE has 300' max limitations however with what you described your routers and POE switches will not force any POE device to be further then 300' from its connection/power source.

Stranded Category Cables have a higher attenuation than solid category cables. Depending on your application, you should restrict their use to short distances. SCP recommends that you use stranded category cables for applications under 6 meters/ 20 feet. We manufacture long length stranded Cat5e and stranded Cat6 cables up to 100 ft/30 meters, but their use should be restricted to non-HD applications.

POE-E101-Applications-1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

jarid

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply and feedback.

Any thoughts on software suggestion and if I can use the Windows 7 computer?

Should I stick with the Linksys routers?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply and feedback.

Any thoughts on software suggestion and if I can use the Windows 7 computer?

Should I stick with the Linksys routers?
Use a dedicated machine for any vms you run. Look at blue iris. You will be able to run your cams on a 300 haswell i5-4590.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@fenderman is a Blue Iris (Software) expert so he can prob address your PC hardware questions and or capabilities/limitations for your setup. There is also a Blue Iris section of this forum where you can get a ton of info as well as see examples.

I've never used either of those Linksys routers/switches however a quick google glance and those should work without issue - in some sense they could be seen as "overkill" for what you've listed your uses as, however that would mean they'll do just fine :)

jarid

n3wb
Reaction score
I will take a look at Blue Iris.

I was hoping not to purchase another computer. I'll have to boot-up the computer, get the specs and report back. Hopefully they will be okay and/or the motherboard will support the CPU upgrade.

Also, how much HD space would I need for the 8 cameras recording 24/7?

Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Which routers have you used? I don't need over-kill. :cool:
You dont need anything special. What you have is perfectly fine.
What are the specs on the pc you want to run your cams on?
Since you are using all dahua, you can use dahua pss, it wont be as flexible as blue iris but is free and can run on a less powerful pc.

jarid

n3wb
Reaction score
It is a Dell Inspiron 570 I've had sitting in the closet: Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3GHz), 8GB RAM, 500GB HD.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a Dell Inspiron 570 I've had sitting in the closet: Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3GHz), 8GB RAM, 500GB HD.
You can forget about running blue iris on that system. Not sure if pss will work. For 300 you can get a solid blue iris intel haswell i5 based system.

jarid

n3wb
Reaction score
I looked at Dell.com using an Intell i5 and it is $550. Where can I find a system for $300?

So I am not over-powering my computer, how much RAM and HD space would you suggest for the 8 cameras with 24/7 recording for 1 week?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at Dell.com using an Intell i5 and it is $550. Where can I find a system for $300?

So I am not over-powering my computer, how much RAM and HD space would you suggest for the 8 cameras with 24/7 recording for 1 week?
There are many threads on this subject search the forum for optiplex or elitedesk. Dell outlet or ebay. They come with 3 year next business day warranties.

jarid

n3wb
Reaction score
Waiting for a sale/coupon/discount on the computer.

Two additional questions:

1) How much HD space would you suggest for running the 8 cameras with 24/7 recording for 1 week?
2) I am planning on running Cat6 STP Solid cable...outside; up and down my walls, etc. Since all termination points will be either in the house or protected by over-hangs, do I need burial cable?

Again, thank you for your feedback.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Waiting for a sale/coupon/discount on the computer.

Two additional questions:

1) How much HD space would you suggest for running the 8 cameras with 24/7 recording for 1 week?
2) I am planning on running Cat6 STP Solid cable...outside; up and down my walls, etc. Since all termination points will be either in the house or protected by over-hangs, do I need burial cable?

Again, thank you for your feedback.
storage space is completely dependent on bitrate. So it depends on what you set it to.

jarid

n3wb
Reaction score
I recall reading posts from you and others about that. Was hoping for a starting point.

If I get a 1TB drive (c:) and it only stores 5 days of recording and I decided to get a second drive, will Blue Iris handle recording to the additional drive (d:)?

Any thoughts on NOT using the more expensive, thicker burial cable for my project?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I recall reading posts from you and others about that. Was hoping for a starting point.

If I get a 1TB drive (c:) and it only stores 5 days of recording and I decided to get a second drive, will Blue Iris handle recording to the additional drive (d:)?

Any thoughts on NOT using the more expensive, thicker burial cable for my project?
You can use this calculator. https://exacq.com/config/ make sure you indicate 24 hours of recording. Most folks use a 4096 bitrate. With 4 cameras you will need 5tb to record 24/7 for 30 days.
Yes, blue iris can record to multiple drives as well as nas. If you are going to bury cable user burial grade, its not something you want to do twice. Not something you want to skimp on. I would run at least two lines + a pull string for the future.
One important point DO NOT USE CCA CABLE (COPPER CLAD ALUMINUM) Its junk and will only cause problems. Buy all your cable from reliable sources.