7716 NVR - Setup, general questions and VPN help

JohnnyBoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just took delivery of my shinny new 7716 today as well as 6x2335 cameras.

I am hoping this thread can help me learn what I need to get this working in a secure manor.

Gear I have
NVR - Hikvision DS 7716-E4/16P
Cameras - Hikvision DS-2CD2335-I
Modem - ASUS RT-AC68U
Remote viewing devices - iPhone, Windows 8 machine (work), windows 10 machine (home)

1 - NVR/Camera Passwords
Initially I was having trouble getting the NVR to identify the cameras. However after some research I found that because my password for the NVR was different to the default camera passwords. I have now changed the NVR password to match and can now see all the camera live views. If I now change this password back to something more secure will I loose connection with the cameras? Is there any way to change only the NVR password and have it update the cameras, or do I need to log onto each camera and change individually? (I have found a thread detailing how to do this
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/115-Hitting-cameras-web-pages-with-a-laptop-in-an-NVR-with-POE

2 - Using a VPN
​After doing lots of reading on this forum I have found that using a VPN is a must to ensure (mostly) that your network cameras are not available to outside eyes. Now the for the hard part of figuring out how to set this up. My modem does have the capability to run its own VPN (https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/manual-config-for-asus-router-with-openvpn/) I'm sure there is other ways of doing this so open to suggestions of better ways etc. I would also like to have only the NVR on the VPN, I have other devices (TiVO, PS3, apple TV, Netflix) where I would like my location to remain as it is.

Any suggestions on how to get this running (ideally free as I would like to avoid paid services if at all possible) would be great.

3 - App for remote viewing
I have downloaded iVMS-4500 after another thread mentioning it, but cannot get the live view to work. I can add the NVR, but in the 'live view' page, the cameras come up with 'error code:8200' What do I need to do to get this to start working?

4 - Renaming the cameras
Had a pretty good look around the NVR software but cannot find any place to rename the cameras. At the moment all my cameras are called 'Camera 01', I'm sure its a simple fix but cannot locate it.

5 - Controlling the NVR on laptop
This might be premature, I am currently downloading the iVMS-4200 software from the Hikvision website so assuming this does was I think it does. If not, will need some help setting me in the right direction.

Ok, I think that's for now. I do appreciate everyone's time reading and responding to these no doubt repetitive nebbie questions. Image related questions will be asked elsewhere so this thread is purely for NVR

Cheers
JohnnyBoy from Aus

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 7716NI - using it for about 2 months. I do not know how it differs from your 7716 E4.

On camera passwords, I perform a camera reset and that picks up the password of the NVR. This is because I was never able to login to the camera with any of the widely published pw's. The reset is a tiny button inside the camera. I don't have the same camera you have so I presume you have a reset, I don't really know for certain. What I do is hold the reset button in, unplug the cable, continue holding the button for another minute and plug the cable back in. Wait another 30 seconds before releasing the button, the camera now responds to the NVR password. It's probably overkill but it works for me.

On renaming, my NVR has a page for that. menu -> camera setup -> OSD. That is where I have the cameras.

Haven't gotten to VPN yet so no help there. iVMS4500 live view and playback seems to work ok on an iPad. I rarely use that app. It will not load on an old Nexus7, claims to be 'unsupported'.

Pardigital

n3wb
Reaction score
You can rename and tweak all your cameras in the iVMS-4200 Desktop Client. Once you configure the first cam, save the configuration file and then load that same file onto the other cameras (since they're all the same cams). Once the config file is loaded, change the cam's address, name etc. before saving and moving on to the next cam.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Running OpenVPN on your Asus router is the best way to do this, its free.. you pay nothing, your network does not change, it wont impact any other devices on your network at all..

Establishing a VPN link just puts you back onto your local network, when you connect to a foreign wifi or use your mobile connection then start the VPN tunnel it will securely bridge you back to your home LAN, just like you were on your home Wifi... its an encrypted virtual network port on your switch you can fire up anywhere you can find internet.

Add users to your router, install OpenVPN on your phones/tablets/laptops, put in your routers IP username/password.. hit connect.. you can test from home by using your mobile network instead of wifi.

JohnnyBoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok,

Having a number of issues with this NVR that I cannot figure out. Even hired a IT guy to come out for a few hours but could not get it running.

Current Issues

1. Cannot get DDNS activation email from hik-online.com.
I register for the service but do not get a activation email, so cannot use this information. Have tried registering with a different email address but still don't get activation email.

2. Since I cannot use hik-online.com I tried NO-IP.org
I have registered and gotten all my No-ip.org details but now cannot save the information in the DDNS section of the NVR

I uploaded this video to show what I mean

Using 'test' information (or real information for that matter) when I enter the server address it always defaults back to the hik-vision.com no matter which 'DDNS type' is entered. I don't know if this is a issue with the NVR software itself (Chinese hacked version) Any ideas?

3. Using desktop software I cannot get live view of my cameras
Using iVMS-4200 I have connected by NVR but cannot see any of the cameras live feeds. I can see the 6 cameras I have but no images will come through. One caveat is that in the device management, if I double click on a camera I can see a image (clicking refresh brings up current image, not video)

4. Cannot connect on the iPhone app iVMS-4500
Same thing with the desktop application. I can see the NVR and see the cameras but cannot get a live view. Error 8200 comes up after timing out. Looking up this error shows its a port forwarding error. I have not forward any ports on recommendations on this forums.

Would it just be easier to use port forwarding? I don't want to put my data at risk but this has not been the easiest thing to set up.

Oh, and all this was using my local network

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Johnyboy, Its my first time to make a comment here. Anyways. Its seems that your problem was already the device because its acting weird. Try to upgrade the firmware and it will resolve your problem.

JohnnyBoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Johnyboy, Its my first time to make a comment here. Anyways. Its seems that your problem was already the device because its acting weird. Try to upgrade the firmware and it will resolve your problem.
I would like to upgrade the firmware but this is a Chinese import so not sure how easy it is. And given my lack of success thus far I'm afraid I wouldn't have the technical skills to revive the thing. If there is a detailed 'how to guide' then perhaps. (Or some local expert in Perth Australia who works for beer?)
Cheers