600ft solar/wireless solution?

dalepa

Reaction score
I have a gate(blue line) that's about 600ft away across a long marsh area(red line) that I would like to put up a camera. Before I go run a POE cable and a repeater POE(s), I was wondering if anyone has found a Solar/radio cam solution?

I already have a cam at the end of 350ft pier, and I was hoping to find a simpler solution.

Capture.PNG

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have line of sight, a point to point wireless link of this type can be nearly as reliable as a wired connection.. You'd a pole/mast to keep objects from obstructing the narrow beams, and to mount the camera and solar panel to, then an equipment box large enough to hold all the gear.

You just need a battery and charge controller capable of keeping your camera running a few days of stormy weather.. I presume you dont suffer from lack of sunshine too often so It'd be relatively easy.

two of these: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NBE-M5-16-High-Performance-airMAX-NanoBeam/dp/B00N9ZIEJC/ for the network link..

the solar panel and battery will be dependent on your camera's power draw, but I dont think you'd need much more than say 25aH and a 30W panel and charger... use the internet its full of information on sizing a small solar generator.. its so dependant on your location on the planet its hard for blanket statements.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dalepa

Reaction score
This TP-LINK device looks interesting too.

No trees, so I get all the sun that Texas coast can delivery.

Im just not sure how much battery and solar panel I would need to power a Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I and TPlink 24/7

A solar powered wireless point solution that was easy to setup and plug a POE camera into would sell pretty good in rural areas every farmer wants to keep an eye on his cows. Everyone of my neighbors would buy one for sure. Maybe it's time for a kickstarter project:)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
7.5W @ 12V for camera = 0.625A
6W @ 24V for Wifi (Ubiquiti 5GHz better than that tplink, promise) = 0.25A

Total = 0.875A, lets round that up to 1A.. a 24aH battery could run that for 24H straight, not really because you wont want to get under 40% charge to prevent damage.. but you only need to run it ~12H or so throughout the night, then have a solar panel large enough to provide 2A on average in the daytime, so it has 1A to power the camera/wifi, and 1A to charge the bank back up for the next night..

Roughly the minimal setup, its then good to oversize this stuff a good 33% because nothing is ideal.. but you get the idea? dont pay some kickstarter fool because it involves math!

Off the grid is the easiest way to do solar, alot of online calculators will give you more realistic numbers than this if you know what to input..

Last edited by a moderator:

dalepa

Reaction score
I have a killawatt connected to a POE injector ---- Dahua 3mp Reads: 6.2 watts .11 amps at night

Guessing that the WIFI CPE would be able the same (no idea).

So I would need 12-20 watt solar solution that could maintain power for 24 hours...

Anyone have a calculator handy?

Battery size:
Solarpanel Size:
Other gadgets?:

dalepa

Reaction score
I want to start my own kickstarter and lets the fools pay me :)

A solar panel attached to a 6-8ft pole with a CPE and IP camera on it all ready to go would sell here in the country if the price was right.

who's in on building a product?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah but who wants to support a bunch of country folk? I dont think anyone's willing to pay me to teach them to right click anymore.. your not getting your money's worth hah.