6 Camera POE System Recommendations

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, I have been reading a few posts and through the WIKI and Cliff Notes. Thanks for the helpful information. I am looking for a 6 camera POE system with NVR and am trying to keep the price around $500. Would this be attainable and what POE systems/kits with bullet cameras do you recommend?

I am going to pull my Cat5e through the attic and have all of the wires fished down to the central NVR location. Looking forward to ideas on solid camera packages in this price range. Thanks!

Last edited:

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, it looks like 2MP cameras are the best for day and night, correct?

Do most bullets have issues with spiders?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

its more than just the mp count, its the sensor size relative to the resolution as well as other factors....there are many threads that discuss it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the Dahua 2MP Starlight turret
ALL bullets have issues with spiders.

FYI, just barely 10 mins. before your post, another forum member here wishes he didn't buy his Lorex system last year.

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, the Dahua 2MP Starlight turret

ALL bullets have issues with spiders.

FYI, just barely 10 mins. before your post, another forum member here wishes he didn't buy his Lorex system last year.
Thanks, I am reading that now. Lorex has been crossed off the list and I think I will focus on Dahua. The Dahua 2MP Starlight turret looks great. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found Dahua 2MP Starlight turrets online and will begin looking at Dahua NVRs. I will probably go with 4 Dahua 2MP Starlight turrets and the NVR to start.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found Dahua 2MP Starlight turrets online and will begin looking at Dahua NVRs. I will probably go with 4 Dahua 2MP Starlight turrets and the NVR to start.
Great! Be sure to allow for expansion in the NVR to more cams later....and there WILL be more cams later, most likely!

P.S. - Did you buy from @EMPIRETECANDY ?

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great! Be sure to allow for expansion in the NVR to more cams later....and there WILL be more cams later, most likely!

I will for sure do that. I think an 8 channel NVR and wiring for up to 8 cameras will provide solid coverage. I will start with the 4 Dahua Starlights for now and can add the other 4 in the near future.

I have not bought them yet. I was looking here: SavvyTech - 2MP Dome

My neighbor is able to get Dahua, not sure what his cost is. I can message @EMPIRETECANDY on prices as well. Thank you!

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Which Dahua 2MP Starlight turrets are recommended? I see a fixed and variable lens. Is the variable much better than fixed?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which Dahua 2MP Starlight turrets are recommended? I see a fixed and variable lens. Is the variable much better than fixed?
The variable lens (vari-focal) costs more but allows you to tailor the lens focal length to suit your application if you're not sure if you need a 2.8mm or a 3.6mm, etc. In that sense, one size fits all, you don't need to worry about purchasing the perfect lens focal length. You mount the cam, point it, zoom in/out remotely and leave it there (for the most part) as it's not designed to be zoomed in and out frequently; that would be a PTZ camera and it's NOT a PTZ.

The NON-variable costs less but you must do some home work to insure you purchase the correct lens size from the start, otherwise you won't cover the area the way you were hoping (objects too far away/too wide field of view or too close / too narrow field of view).

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The variable lens (vari-focal) costs more but allows you to tailor the lens focal length to suit your application if you're not sure if you need a 2.8mm or a 3.6mm, etc. In that sense, one size fits all, you don't need to worry about purchasing the perfect lens focal length. You mount the cam, point it, zoom in/out remotely and leave it there (for the most part) as it's not designed to be zoomed in and out frequently; that would be a PTZ camera and it's NOT a PTZ.

The NON-variable costs less but you must do some home work to insure you purchase the correct lens size from the start, otherwise you won't cover the area the way you were hoping (objects too far away/too wide field of view or too close / too narrow field of view).
Thank you, Tony. You have been extremely helpful. I will likely go with 4 of these: Aliexpress.com : Buy IPC HDW5231R ZE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

I really appreciate your help. Now to spend more time reading and learning on NVR's, etc.... Enjoy the weekend!

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I am getting 4 Starlight turrets and the NVR4108-8P-4KS2 NVR. Other than the Cat5e and connectors, is there anything else I’m missing? Thanks!

camguyutah

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a few questions.

-Does this NVR include a hard drive for storage?

NVR4108 8P 4KS2 8ch Smart 1U NVR 8ch 1080P NVR support 1HDD and mobile surveillance NVR4108 8P 4KS2,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

-Is this the best NVR for these cameras? IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE, IPC-HDW2231R-ZS, IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I read about some firmware and other issues and want to make sure my NVR is stable.

-Also, I am able to order this camera (IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE) in 2.8, 3.6, or 6mm, correct?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Do most just purchase an external hard drive and connect to the NVR?
Do you know if the NVR firmware issues have been resolved? I was not able to find a definite answer.
No, the HD installs inside of the NVR.
You want a Western Digital Purple drive.