5MP Dahua HDCVI Camera and a 4MP Dahua XVR

ABPAM

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!
First time working with HDCVI technology and I think I bought the wrong equipment :)
First of all, I didn't see any better section where I could post my question, so if this is not the right place for this thread, I kindly ask the moderators to move it to a more appropriate section.

So,
I bought a Dahua HDCVI camera (HAC-HFW1500T-A-0280B-S2) which broadcasts video in 5MP resolution, and a Dahua XVR (Dahua XVR1B08) which records video in 4MP maximum resolution. I connect them directly via BNC connectors and all I get when I open the XVR's control panel is a black screen with date and a camera label on it (which I assume is just a encoded video by the XVR without the video from the camera). The camera is properly supplied with electricity - 12V. At first, I thought the problem comes from incorrect use of the baluns I got (Dahua PFM801-4MP). It takes 24V power on one end and supplies 12V one the other, the transmission is through RJ45 terminated FTP ethernet cable. I removed the baluns and connected them directly (with a BNC male-male adapter I got from a LAN cable tester, as both the XVR and the camera have female BNCs). Still no result. I am starting to think I bought incompatible devices. Can I connect a 5MP camera to a 4MP XVR, even with pure BNC connection (no baluns)? I am unable to get an OSD menu and I don't even know how to decide if the camera is detected by the XVR. Can anyone help me with the setup of this system?

I probably missed a lot of information, but I am no professional in this field, so I don't even know what information to provide, please forgive my ignorance! For any further questions, don't hesitate to ask, I would gladly answer them. Any help is greatly appreciated!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have a camera with a higher resolution than the XVR is capable of, so the XVR cannot process it.

You may or may not have the ability to change the resolution of that camera, but many analog cameras do not have that capability.

You need either a 4MP or less camera or an XVR capable of accepting a 5MP resolution camera.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Also theres a slight chance it might show up if you surf to the menu that lets you choose AHD-CVI-BLAHbLAH
1669946839761.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah because 4 and k = 4000 :smash:
Related
A monetary number such as 10k means "10,000 dollars", but what does the "k" really stand for or mean?

'K' stands for 'kilo', which signifies one thousand (1,000 meters in a KILOmeter, 1,000 liters in a KILOliter, etc.). Therefore, 10k would be 10 x 1,000, which is 10,000.

ABPAM

n3wb
Reaction score
@Flintstone61, I tried every channel type with no success, same result.
@wittaj, so I should either buy a new 5MP XVR or new 4MP cameras? What is a possible way to set the resolution of an HDCVI camera, when it doesn't seem to have it's own interface like an IP one?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you show us a screen shot of what you’re seeing? In Preview and Encode tabs?

Are you accessing the XVR via web browser at 192.168.1.108 or direct via mouse and monitor ?

I’m not yet convinced there isn’t something you’re missing. I can assure you the camera has an OSD interface, just that so far you’re not getting to a point to view it.

That XVR is I believe the least expensive and least capable model in the lineup. I’m thinking you should be able to view it live and access the OSD

There are at least 3 different models, does yours have an “H” or “I” behind it? Two of them are rated at 5 MP analog input

Analog Camera Input4/8 Channel, BNC
HDCVI Camera5MP, 4MP, 1080P@25/30fps, 720P@50/60fps, 720P@25/30fps

Last edited:

ABPAM

n3wb
Reaction score
@bigredfish, I got the base model (the first one, no "I", no "H"). I connected it to my home router, and accessed the web interface via the IP address, but then realized that there might be more options if I use the embedded UI, so I connected it directly to an external monitor. Attached, there are some photos I took with my phone, showing that nothing happens when, according to some tutorials I've found online, the OSD menu should display when accessing it through the PTZ menu. The last two images are screenshots of the web UI (in the "Encode" and "Live" tabs, no tab named "Preview").

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm could be it won’t display then. That’s a 1080p device.

Recommend to use the Web UI, I only use the machine interface 1x at initialization. Never look back.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
To be sure about your power, connect the power cable from the camera to a regular wall wart power supply (I use 2 amp) and the BNC directly into the XVR port

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW I would recommend stepping up to the 7000 series over the 5000 series. Twice the incoming bandwidth, 8 cameras instead of 2 that can run IVS/SMD, run your 5MP cams at 25 fps instead of 10, capability to run 4K cams….

ABPAM

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, that's waaay over my budget. I don't know about other countries, but where I live the 7000 series model is double (and more) the price of the 5000 series model. Is the 5000 series model compatible with the cameras I have, if so, I will buy it because the 7000 series seems to be too expensive.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The XVR you point out (5000 series) is compatible with Dahua HDCVI cameras up to 5MP , yes.

Whether it will fulfill your requirements? I don’t know.

ABPAM

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you mean? For this XVR I see that it supports up to 8 HDCVI channels at "5MP, 4MP, 1080P@25/30fps, 720P@50/60fps, 720P@25/30fps" (). I will need 3 5MP cameras to record @ 720p@25/30 fps, that is completely enough, should I buy it.
DISCLAIMER: A logical question pops up - why would you need a 8ch XVR when you only have 3 cameras? Because I am not buying it for myself, but for a friend, and I have already told the guy he will have the option to connect up to 8 cameras in the future :)