5mp cameras have low quality image when viewing all cameras

GlassCurtain

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good Evening. We have recently replaced our old 800x600 cameras with Anpviz 5mp dome cameras. The images look great in BI when full screen but when it's showing all cameras the image is horrible. Are there any settings in BI that might be able to fix this or is this just because it's condensing down such a high res image? Our 1080p camera looking at the parking spots doesn't really have this issue. Below is an example:

Interesting patterns in the carpet:Cameras.jpgCamera2.jpg

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am not sure this is your issue but if you have sub streams enabled BI is showing those on the screen until you select an individual camera. If this is the case then you could increase the resolution and or other settings on the sub stream settings within the cameras

GlassCurtain

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not sure this is your issue but if you have sub streams enabled BI is showing those on the screen until you select an individual camera. If this is the case then you could increase the resolution and or other settings on the sub stream settings within the cameras
Thank you for the advice! So as I understand it BI uses sub streams when it's in thumbnail view? It looks like I haven't set up any sub streams up in BI so I'm guessing it's just shrinking the main feed. I'll look into how to get sub streams set up. I tried putting the rtsp address in but I don't think it's working because under the general tab in BI it shows all the info of the main stream but sub stream has a dash and no info. Is there a better way to tell if it accepted my sub stream address? Sorry for all the questions. I work at a computer shop, we're just not that familiar with camera systems. Thank you!

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For sub stream setup, start here:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@GlassCurtain The most foolproof way to tell if the sub stream is working is on that general tab you mentioned. Or in Blue Iris's main status window that has a big table of camera status values. With a little experience you may also learn to identify your sub streams just by the size and positioning of the timestamps embedded by the camera.

Anyway, your carpet pattern there is creating a moire effect. You can indirectly affect it by resizing your group video frame size, and possibly by turning off fast scaling. Both options are found in the group settings panel which is here:

(note you can type whatever frame size you want into the dropdown box)

GlassCurtain

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@GlassCurtain The most foolproof way to tell if the sub stream is working is on that general tab you mentioned. Or in Blue Iris's main status window that has a big table of camera status values. With a little experience you may also learn to identify your sub streams just by the size and positioning of the timestamps embedded by the camera.

Anyway, your carpet pattern there is creating a moire effect. You can indirectly affect it by resizing your group video frame size, and possibly by turning off fast scaling. Both options are found in the group settings panel which is here:

(note you can type whatever frame size you want into the dropdown box)
Awesome! Thank you! I never even saw that settings icon! Typing in my own resolution worked. Thank you both so much for your help. Is there any need to even setup substreams?

Cameras fixed.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
setting up the substreams is a great way to bring down CPU utilization, but if your system is running fine without them, no real need to mess with them.

GlassCurtain

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
setting up the substreams is a great way to bring down CPU utilization, but if your system is running fine without them, no real need to mess with them.
Ok Cool! I'll figure that out later if it looks like we need to do that. Right now we're only running those 4 cameras. And BI is running on an old server we fixed up with 2 Xeon processors and 16GB of ram. We're only using 23% cpu. Thank you all for the information and I'm sure I'll have more questions when I dive further into learning about cameras and BI!