5442 Versions

JayNY

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a "test" camera to start designing/building out a new system. Based on what I've gleaned from the forums, the 5442 is the current king, but there are many models with different variations. I assume some of this is exacerbated by the different regions and model numbers. WIthout going into the specs for each camera and drilling down, is there a guide or chart somewhere?

For this first cam I’ve decided on a turret with a variable focal length in order to determine placement etc. I think I’d like an IR cam to begin with so I can test both IR illumination and full color in my various locations, as I can always add temporary lighting for testing. At the moment I’m planning to go with Andy at Empire Tech based on the recommendations in the forum and am definitely interested in having an English camera with the most features as far as AI etc.

I’ll just be using it with internal storage and the web interface to begin with. In the future I plan to load Blue Iris on a PC for testing, but will primarily be using the GUI in the beginning. I can’t seem to find any detail on the web interface, is it painful, can I get by? I’m primarily interested in any AI detection and zoning my motion areas to account for neighbors, roads, and the ever present blowing bushes.

If the various 5442 versions have horrible web interfaces are there other options with performance as good? I don’t mind paying more if it’s worth it, but I’d like to stay under $250.

Thanks,
Jay

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Is day or night your primary interest? Have you read the wikis yet?
Think of your system in layers because 1 cam can't do it all!

If night, how much ambient light is there? (the 4K-X will see stars down to mag 5 ish in B/W) A full moon
will light up the terrain in COLOR at night.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

JayNY

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan to use the "test" camera to determine placements, FOV, what light there is, and how I might need to externally illuminate them. Day and night are both important, but I assume if I can make it work at night daylight performance will be more than sufficient. I figured a varifocal model with IR illumination would give me the most versatility to help finalize my configuration. Ultimately I will be using an NVR, but am taking it one step at a time.

Is there really only one version of the 5442 with varifocal and IR illumination? Maybe I've just been reading too many data sheets.. I know there are fixed, vari, LED and IR versions at a minimum. I tried the Dahua website but it is a bit flaky with some of the filters, for example PoE 802.3af eliminates the turret 5442s, but I just noticed there is also a different filter for ePoE 802.3af, so it's a little hard to navigate the models and versions.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 can run full colour at night depending on the ambient levels which is why it's so popular. If you need IR, many users report it's better to use external than internal IR for many reasons including power, less dazzling / haze / reflection in the picture and above all less, less spiders deciding the lens is a home.

If you want to determine the best focal lengths for your locations, a single varifocal is a good way to do it. Note the bucket method suggested by others and in the wiki. Note down what you need and order the others as fixed focal based on your noted needs.The varifocal is never wasted as you can use it as a tester if you decide to add cameras to other locations or you may find some locations need a camera with more than a 6mm lens in which case the varifocal might become the only camera for that location. Either way, I'd mount the varifocal and use it. I'd just use it 1st as my 1st camera to determine what the others need to be and my tester if I needed to makeadditions later.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I plan to use the "test" camera to determine placements, FOV, what light there is, and how I might need to externally illuminate them. Day and night are both important, but I assume if I can make it work at night daylight performance will be more than sufficient. I figured a varifocal model with IR illumination would give me the most versatility to help finalize my configuration. Ultimately I will be using an NVR, but am taking it one step at a time.

Is there really only one version of the 5442 with varifocal and IR illumination? Maybe I've just been reading too many data sheets.. I know there are fixed, vari, LED and IR versions at a minimum. I tried the Dahua website but it is a bit flaky with some of the filters, for example PoE 802.3af eliminates the turret 5442s, but I just noticed there is also a different filter for ePoE 802.3af, so it's a little hard to navigate the models and versions.
In the turret model, I can only think of one varifocal model.

If you go to the bullet model of the 5442, there are a couple choices. At least 2 come to mind, might be a third, I would have to look.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know if " Joe Regular" can shoot a deer in the City Limits. Probably not. I seem to remember a program to keep urban numbers down, and I'm not sure who they allow to sign up for that.
Deer meat tastes ok. Esp. if your hungry.