5442 picture quality issue

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've started playing with IVS and the human and vehicle detection but I'm having issues with it. When I turn it on on my driveway camera it sends alerts every 30 or 40 seconds. On the camera in the bushes I get zero alerts with it turned on I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. I told my wife I was going to start using the IVS and told her what it does and she told me no. She said she likes to see all the wildlife motion triggers. I'd actually like to figure out how it works so I can use it on a clone camera. I am also following that thread about the IVS.
I suspect you have motion detection or SMD on in that driveway camera as well. Confirm that neither has the box checked.

Next make sure you have Smart Plan enabled for IVS.

For IVS, do not specify a minimum target size. Leave it at 0,0 and only add one in if something like a dog is triggering. Most will find that the default 0,0 works well.

Do you have an SD card in the camera - that is a great way to playback and turn on the IVS rules and see what was triggering it. Or if it happens once per minute, watch it live with the IVS triggers on to see what is causing it.

Share some screen shots of that field of view with the IVS rules on and we can help you out. Usually just some simple placement adjustments of the IVS can fix it.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I suspect you have motion detection or SMD on in that driveway camera as well. Confirm that neither has the box checked.

Next make sure you have Smart Plan enabled for IVS.

For IVS, do not specify a minimum target size. Leave it at 0,0 and only add one in if something like a dog is triggering. Most will find that the default 0,0 works well.

Do you have an SD card in the camera - that is a great way to playback and turn on the IVS rules and see what was triggering it. Or if it happens once per minute, watch it live with the IVS triggers on to see what is causing it.

Share some screen shots of that field of view with the IVS rules on and we can help you out. Usually just some simple placement adjustments of the IVS can fix it.
Maybe that's my problem. I have motion detection checked. I will make sure they are both unchecked when I get a chance to look.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you have Motion Detection or SMD checked?

I would suggest eliminating the tripwire and use one intrusion box with appears and crosses instead. Then draw the box around that area, but avoid the leaves that would be blowing (even though that shouldn't trigger it).

Further, the IVS you have right now would not trigger for someone coming across the yard to the drivers side of the Jeep. The intrusion box would get that.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you have Motion Detection or SMD checked?

I would suggest eliminating the tripwire and use one intrusion box with appears and crosses instead. Then draw the box around that area, but avoid the leaves that would be blowing (even though that shouldn't trigger it).

Further, the IVS you have right now would not trigger for someone coming across the yard to the drivers side of the Jeep. The intrusion box would get that.
Motion detection and SMD are unchecked. Here is a updated pic with a intrusion boxScreenshot_20210413-185217.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also check the appears box so if they somehow are not recognized until after within the box.

This should hopefully knock out your false triggers.

If not, depending on which 5442 series camera you have, you may have a global config tab that you can use to calibrate the AI.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also check the appears box so if they somehow are not recognized until after within the box.

This should hopefully knock out your false triggers.

If not, depending on which 5442 series camera you have, you may have a global config tab that you can use to calibrate the AI.
This particular camera is a 3241 ZAS but I did check the appears box just now. We shall see what happens. I'll find out when I get back from work.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, but by setting a min/max size you can dial it in a bit. Certainly you will get more “ false alerts” as deciding what is and isn’t a false alert seems to change with most folks over time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but maybe even slightly better than what BI does. But YMMV. My cameras are combinations of either the AI if the camera has it, IVS, or BI motion. A few camera fields of view the BI motion is better than the IVS, and some are the other way around. Generally a newer camera IVS will be better. My older ones I am using BI motion as the IVS struggled.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I can’t speak to that as I don’t use BI

I suspect the results will be effectively the same. At some point you have to decide how many false alerts are acceptable to not miss the alerts you deem important.

No system is perfect. Most of the systems are getting pretty good at detecting humans and vehicles from other stuff. Once you get to wanting it to alert on a turkey but not a cat for example, you’re going to find the technology in $200 cameras or BI vs NVR isn’t there yet.