5442 picture quality issue

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would try a little faster shutter to try to knock the IR bounce off the sides. Did you try manual shutter so that you can lower the gain?

Do you have the turret or the bullet? If the bullet, the near is the top IR and the far is the bottom IR (or reversed would need to check LOL), and you could knock a lot of the lower IF bounce off by turning off the bottom one. If it is the turret, they are both on the bottom.
I have the turret

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help getting the settings in a better spot. I'm going to see if I can get it any better now that I know roughly the way some settings should go. I also have to go outside and walk around like a crazy person to see if it has ghosting or any other issues. But for now it's a lot better than I was ever able to get it on my own.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210413-103310.pngScreenshot_20210413-094452.pngScreenshot_20210410-160740.png
The bottom photo is from the other day when I updated my settings and the middle one is today being a non cloudy day and the top one is also today with the sun pretty much in full force. What do you guys think about the color change with the strength of the sun?

Attachments

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was reading his camo posts earlier. I was just going to paint it but I think the camo tape might be a better option.
Good position on your cam. May want to try some of this camo stuff.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can really see the difference in the grass.
Good position on your cam. May want to try some of this camo stuff.

I might have to make a trip to home Depot to take a look at this!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think trying to set a fixed shutter speed for daylight mode is not the best option. 1/125th is a pretty slow shutter speed for bright light. It works well for night, but limiting the shutter to a slow shutter speed like that is causing the camera to fight an over-exposure situation. At the very least, set a variable shutter target of something like 0-5ms. This will cause the camera to set a shutter speed from 1/10000th (or whatever the fastest shutter speed is) down to about 1/200th of a second. (4ms would be 1/250th of a second and 6ms would be 1/166th of a second). Something like that would work for both day and night mode by allowing a fast shutter speed during the day, but keeping the shutter speed above 1/200th (or whatever time you choose) during the night.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You might also get an IR emitter and mount it on the roof eaves on the driveway end of the house. That will really help illuminate the driveway and sideyard with IR without having to turn the camera IR up so much that you get that glare off the bushes. In fact, you might get two while you are at it and mount one closer to the camera. That way you can let the external illuminators handle everything and you can turn the camera IR off. Just pay attention to the angle the illuminator will throw the IR light. Some are narrow (like 30 degrees) and that wouldn't be wide enough for your application.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You might also get an IR emitter and mount it on the roof eaves on the driveway end of the house. That will really help illuminate the driveway and sideyard with IR without having to turn the camera IR up so much that you get that glare off the bushes. In fact, you might get two while you are at it and mount one closer to the camera. That way you can let the external illuminators handle everything and you can turn the camera IR off. Just pay attention to the angle the illuminator will throw the IR light. Some are narrow (like 30 degrees) and that wouldn't be wide enough for your application.
That's my next step I think. I think I'm going to use external IR emitters to eliminate most of the false motion triggers at night when it's raining or snowing hopefully. Possibly kill two birds with one stone type thing.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's my next step I think. I think I'm going to use external IR emitters to eliminate most of the false motion triggers at night when it's raining or snowing hopefully. Possibly kill two birds with one stone type thing.
Are you using the AI in the camera? Do not use SMD or Motion Detection. Instead use IVS and the human and/or vehicle check boxes.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you using the AI in the camera? Do not use SMD or Motion Detection. Instead use IVS and the human and/or vehicle check boxes.

I've started playing with IVS and the human and vehicle detection but I'm having issues with it. When I turn it on on my driveway camera it sends alerts every 30 or 40 seconds. On the camera in the bushes I get zero alerts with it turned on I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. I told my wife I was going to start using the IVS and told her what it does and she told me no. She said she likes to see all the wildlife motion triggers. I'd actually like to figure out how it works so I can use it on a clone camera. I am also following that thread about the IVS.