5216 PoE vs 5432 no-PoE noise level

kgerst

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined today and have to say this is a great resource and I have learned a lot reading through the wiki, cliff notes, and forum topics over the last couple weeks as I plan out my system. Thanks to all that have dedicated their time to help folks like me out getting started. I plan on getting 10-5442T-ZE cameras and either the 5216 with PoE or the 5432 without PoE. I already have PoE switches so don't really need it in the NVR, but I want the cameras on a separate subnet and the 5216 without PoE only has one ethernet port while the 5400 series has 2 (only looking at 5432 instead of 5416 because of availability). So I think the biggest thing for me is noise level, as it will be in a closet, but it shares a wall with our bedroom so want to minimize noise. The 5216 with PoE is significantly cheaper and I don't need really need 4 HDD vs 2 HDD, or the extra number of channels, so if the 5432 without PoE isn't significantly less noisy than I don't know it is worth paying more for it. It seems both can be noisy from what I have read on this forum, but not sure if any has an idea of how these two compare to each other in this regard. Thanks for any suggestions!

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kgerst

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! As I keep researching more and more, I may just go with a BI computer, but if I stick with NVR I will look to do the fan replacement. Too many choices!

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! As I keep researching more and more, I may just go with a BI computer, but if I stick with NVR I will look to do the fan replacement. Too many choices!
I'll be moving to BI at some point so you'd be wise to start out that way.
NVRs are faster to get up and running, but the interface and usability haven't evolved as much as they should have over the past 10+ years.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Aquaman

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but just as a point of of reference, I have an older 7616NI-E2 with no PoE as I use remote PoE switches for all my cameras.

It has a single 40x10mm fan which I’ve disconnected competely and has run noiseless for past 4yrs without issue. CPU temperature runs a tad warmer of course but I’ve measured to be well under 40C at the base of the heatsink , so extrapolated, it’ll still be below max die temp

My newest 7616NXI-16P on the other hand is a hairblower with 2 fans. I replaced one on the side of the box with a Noctua which helped a little. Next will be the one in the internal power supply