5.8.8 - March 4, 2024

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
5.8.8 - March 4, 2024
Group layout digital zoom is now propagated to remote live camera views and timeline
playback. Locally, playback digital zoom now defaults to live camera zoom, and live camera
zoom does not reset to the group layout zoom until the group is changed.

Digital zoom and pan are now possible using remote management in both group and
individual camera streams.

Group layout edit-mode guide numbers are now drawn after all other image processing,
meaning they will no longer appear in alerts or JPEG snapshots.

Il_Pres

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since version 5.8.8.6 AI detection will use all the custom models (if enabled) regardless of the "Custom Models" setting in the camera AI Configuration. Is this by design? Do we need to add ipcam-general:0 for all the custom models to avoid using them?

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since version 5.8.8.6 AI detection will use all the custom models (if enabled) regardless of the "Custom Models" setting in the camera AI Configuration.
Wait... what's the reasoning behind this change?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have always had to use :0 for any camera we do not want using all of the models.

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We have always had to use :0 for any camera we do not want using all of the models.
So I'm still confused. I'm only using custom models (not the default objects model). If I have a camera dedicated to license plates (for example) this seems to imply that all the other custom models (ipcam-general, ipcam-animal, ipcam-general combined, etc.) will fire, even if I've only listed a specific custom model for that camera (e.g. license-plate). That can't be what if means, right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on how you set up the AI.

If you set it up like this, then that camera will only trigger AI for plates:

1710430991057.png

And under the AI analysis tab it will show it is only looking for plates:

1710431067672.png

Contrast that to someone running ALPR but didn't add objects:0 and then the AI analysis shows that in addition to looking for plates, it is looking for all of this too:

1710431149240.png

Adding objects:0 disables the Default Object Detection.

From the help file:

1710431356216.png

So the question is, what does yours show it is looking for in the AI analysis tab?

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 189381

View attachment 189382

Contrast that to someone running ALPR but didn't add objects:0 and then the AI analysis shows that in addition to looking for plates, it is looking for all of this too:

View attachment 189383

From the help file:

View attachment 189385

So the question is, what does yours show it is looking for in the AI analysis tab?
I haven't updated, nor have plans to update. I'm just asking if I've set a specific custom model (say ipcam-general) this seems to imply a change is being made to run all the other custom models regardless of what I intended for each specific camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't updated either, but it does now sound like a bug. I must have misunderstood what the OP was trying to explain.

The more that email the bug to Ken, the faster it will get fixed.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
For those that grab updates just because (as I do because I'm not quite so worried about bad things happening around here that I'd miss footage of), and I enjoy checking out the new changes. None of the 5.8.8.x has worked for me so far up to and including 5.8.8.6 as BI just randomly shuts down with any of them. No biggie, since BIT starts it right back up. But, each time I've downgraded back to 5.8.7.11, which works very well (for me), any camera that is using another camera's Audio has the "Enable audio channel" unticked, so I need to go into each of them and re-tick it. Just a head's up...

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
For those that grab updates just because (as I do because I'm not quite so worried about bad things happening around here that I'd miss footage of), and I enjoy checking out the new changes. None of the 5.8.8.x has worked for me so far up to and including 5.8.8.6 as BI just randomly shuts down with any of them. No biggie, since BIT starts it right back up. But, each time I've downgraded back to 5.8.7.11, which works very well (for me), any camera that is using another camera's Audio has the "Enable audio channel" unticked, so I need to go into each of them and re-tick it. Just a head's up...
Same here...all of the 5.8.8.x have been a struggle on my system. AI timeouts and restarts as well. I also don't understand the digital zoom thing but going to sit this one out till later.

Il_Pres

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

View attachment 189381

View attachment 189382

View attachment 189383

From the help file:

View attachment 189385

The help states exactly what is happening with version 5.8.8.3 . From version > of 8.3 it always consider all the models.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The help states exactly what is happening with version 5.8.8.3 . From version > of 8.3 it always consider all the models.
It has always ran all the models unless you turned some off with the :0 command.

Are you saying it is now the intended behavior to run them all with no way to disable models you don't want running on a particular camera?

Last edited:

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you saying it is now the intended behavior to run them all with no way to disable models you don't want running on a particular camera?
So I was using the following settings for my LPR camera:

Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 6.45.22 AM.png
I sent this to Ken and this was his response:

Yes with these settings, all custom models will be run. If you want only specific models, you need to specify the model name. If you use a non existent mode name, none of them will be executed.

There may have been a fix made to this code to cause this "new behavior" but it's actually now correct.

Thanks

Ken

So from version 5.8.8.3 on you have to enter a non existent model name in the custom model field if you only want to use the ALPR model. I changed mine to "nothing,object:0" and just updated to 5.8.8.8 and everything seems to be working as expected.

Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 7.30.02 AM.png

Last edited:

Il_Pres

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just tried... it's working as per Ken's email. Can't get the purpose of this change, though...

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So this change will force people to have to go into every camera running AI and make changes so that it works the same as it did the prior update? I agree I don't see the purpose of the change.

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So this change will force people to have to go into every camera running AI and make changes so that it works the same as it did the prior update? I agree I don't see the purpose of the change.
As I read Ken's note, he's saying that if you only exclude other models in the custom model field means all other custom models will run. Currently I have custom model names set for all my cameras, so I think it means there is no change for me and it'll behave as it did before.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I read Ken's note, he's saying that an asterisk in the custom model field means all custom models. Currently I have custom model names set for all my cameras, so I think it means there is no change for me and it'll behave as it did before.
Ok, everyone that is not running all the models for all their AI cameras will now have to go in and make changes so that it works as before.

bqz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it possible that BI continues analyzing with AI after trigger ends? (from version 5.8.8.4).
If I revert to 5.8.8.3, that behaviour reverts to stop analyzing with AI if camera is not in triggered state..
Is this working as expected after that version?