5.5.0 - September 13, 2021

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Groups are now created and deleted explicitly. Previously, the only way to delete a group
was to remove each camera individually. In addition, the role of a group has also been
expanded to include layout. A group’s layout now consists of a set of cameras in a particular
order. Each camera may have a default zoom position, relative size, and aspect ratio. The
group itself may specify a height and aspect ratio, or these may be determined automatically.
In addition to the existing left-right ordering, a group’s layout may also be broken into
columns.
When a camera is zoomed, all layout space available is utilized (previously the zoomed
portion was cropped to fit the original aspect). Using this new camera zoom functionality
together with layout options to “scale to fill,” it’s now possible to create layouts which force
cameras into grid patterns without spacing via scaling and cropping.
Groups when displayed via clients now appear as the group does on the console with
headers, borders and icons. You can also force a group’s height/aspect on the console to
make adjustments easier.
Dynamic layout for phone and other clients. If a group is configured for an automatic aspect
ratio and the client sends both a width and height request (&w=xxx&h=yyy) then a
temporary layout is created to custom-fit the requested aspect ratio (and resolution if the
group is also configured for an automatic height). The next release of the phone apps will
support this feature, making group streaming look great in both landscape and portrait on
any device.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I was given advance notice of this feature, so UI3-164 in this update already has a baseline level of support for dynamic group layouts. Currently the only related customization offered in UI3 is to disable dynamic group layouts via UI Settings > Video Player > Dynamic Group Layout.

The next UI3 update should add a "Group Layout" context menu item.

1631593029533.png

This will offer, among other things, an equivalent to each of these context menu options from Blue Iris's local console:

1631592558215.png

Once implemented in UI3, these settings will only affect your active UI3 instance, and will change nothing for the local console or for other users.

This is made possible by new URL parameters which were added for use by remote clients. From the Blue Iris help file:

Code:
Dynamic group layout options

When requesting a group stream that’s configured for dynamic layout (no forced aspect
ratio), you may customize the display as follows:

&h=height         if the layout does not force a specific height
&w=width          use with height if the layout does not force a specific aspect ratio
&cams=camlist     a comma-delimited list of camera short names (e.g., cam1,cam2,cam3)
&flags=x          1=names 2=borders 4=show hidden 8=hide disabled 16=hide inactive
&mask=x           bits corresponding to the flags to adjust

cagenuts

n3wb
Reaction score
Suddenly disabled cameras are showing up in UI3. I can't remove them from a Group so the only option is to delete them. Can't add or remove groups for any camera actually.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Heads up...

Update 5.5.0.7 changed the names of my 'Indoor' and 'Outdoor' groups to lowercase 'indoor' and 'outdoor'.
This is somewhat of big deal because camera and group names are case-sensitive in Blue Iris, so [EDIT: see post #12] a number of my scripts stopped working last night.

I couldn't find a way to rename the groups in the Blue Iris UI (perhaps I just overlooked it). The only way I could figure to rename them back to uppercase was to edit them in the registry.

And because registry key names are not case--sensitive, I had to first rename 'indoor' as 'indoor2', then rename it again as 'Indoor'.

1631634621108.png

Last edited:

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Heads up...

Update 5.5.0.7 changed the names of my 'Indoor' and 'Outdoor' groups to lowercase 'indoor' and 'outdoor'.
This is somewhat of big deal because camera and group names are case-sensitive in Blue Iris, so a number of my scripts stopped working last night.

I couldn't find a way to rename the groups in the Blue Iris UI (perhaps I just overlooked it). The only way I could figure to rename them back to uppercase was to edit them in the registry.

And because registry key names are not case--sensitive, I had to first rename 'indoor' as 'indoor2', then rename it again as 'Indoor'.

View attachment 101619
Jaydeel,

Email support to notify Ken of the issue you had. I was beta testing V5.5 and I did recommend adding the ability to edit the group name but it look like it never made it in.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
More Heads-up's regarding update 5.5.0.7

Both of these are about camera settings on the 'General' tab:
1631637460688.png

#1. The 'Groups' control on the 'General' tab is no longer editable (it should probably be grayed out, but not disabled in order to scroll/view long entries).
Group membership (camera add/remove) is now managed via the Edit layout mode right-click context menu 'Select cameras...'

1631637546115.png

#2. The 'Hidden' checkbox is no longer respected as a global setting for all groups.
Whether a hidden camera is shown in a group is now managed via the Edit layout mode right-click context menu 'Show hidden cameras...'

1631637767230.png

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ken replied thanking me for the report.

He also reminded me that
"Camera and group names should NOT be case sensitive. Please let me know where this occurs so that I can fix that."

I'm now testing and so far cannot find an example.

I cannot figure out where I got the impression that they were case sensitive. I built this into my scripts and this is why they failed.

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@bp2008 ... I'm now using UI3 version 164 and Blue Iris version: 5.5.0.8, and am seeing a toast message and this entry on the console when using a URL like
http://192.168.1.3:xxxx/ui3.htm?cam=FD

1631652709457.png

HTTP query parameter ?group= works just fine

dz93

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone else still having the issue where blue iris won't send the set amount of real time images to deepstack? I've had to run 5.4.7.11 (6/11/21) in order to be at a point where AI alerts tend to work the best presumably because blue iris is actually sending multiple real time images to deepstack. I can't tell for sure because this version of blue iris doesn't have the analyze deepstack feature in it but I have seen others also report on this issue. Is there anyway I can tell if this is something on the devs radar or not?

slabbel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is anyone else still having the issue where blue iris won't send the set amount of real time images to deepstack? I've had to run 5.4.7.11 (6/11/21) in order to be at a point where AI alerts tend to work the best presumably because blue iris is actually sending multiple real time images to deepstack. I can't tell for sure because this version of blue iris doesn't have the analyze deepstack feature in it but I have seen others also report on this issue. Is there anyway I can tell if this is something on the devs radar or not?
Similar to this thread?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just upgraded to 5.5.0.9 and it is better than the original release IMHO. It's still a mess trying to arrange the console. There's a blank strip of totally wasted screen space on both the top an bottom of the display, about an inch wide each on my display. There still seems to be a ways to go with this. I sure hope people with large systems, 25 cameras or more, have a true need for this because the time needed to arrange a console screen, with all the settings to play with in that attempt, is kind of time consuming with a relatively low camera count. What is particularly frustrating is to set up an order on the screen, then move one camera and have the whole screen re-arrange itself the way it wants to, not the way you had painstakingly arranged it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Every time I try that the whole screen goes to a total mess as soon as one camera goes to "Scale to fill". Then it's time wasted rearranging yet again to only have the exact same problem with the next camera set to "Scale to fill". The wasted space I am talking about is above and below the area where all cameras are displayed. There appears to be no way to "Scale to fill" the entire arrangement.

In other words, the screen does not hold its' previous arrangement when a change is made. That's not a very handy feature at all.