5.4.7 - May 25, 2021 - Support for DeepStack custom model files

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm on the latest version, my lightning bolt stays orange but everything as far as BI and Deepstack are working as expected.
Well, my alerts seem to be working, and show the little icon for the car or a person attached to the alert. Do you know anybody that has the license plate .PT that is working?

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do 10 and 1 second intervals.

If yours are not working, go back to the latest critical and stable update and it should start working for you.
I'm curious how your set up works with this amount compared to less pictures taken. Does it take longer for the AI to process and get alerts? I have mine set to 2 at 1 second intervals.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, my alerts seem to be working, and show the little icon for the car or a person attached to the alert. Do you know anybody that has the license plate .PT that is working?
I just trained my first license plate model this morning using about 100 images from my LPR camera. I added it to BI and so far this afternoon it has correctly identified every car license plate that's driven by. Thanks to @cjowers for his post that inspired me to try it.

My goal was to make sure there's a license plate in the frame before sending it to the plate reader, and this has been easier than setting up zones and getting the timing right. I'll probably gather a few hundred additional images and train a more accurate model, and then do the same with night images to use that model on my night profile.

Gary R.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just trained my first license plate model this morning using about 100 images from my LPR camera. I added it to BI and so far this afternoon it has correctly identified every car license plate that's driven by. Thanks to @cjowers for his post that inspired me to try it.

My goal was to make sure there's a license plate in the frame before sending it to the plate reader, and this has been easier than setting up zones and getting the timing right. I'll probably gather a few hundred additional images and train a more accurate model, and then do the same with night images to use that model on my night profile.
Not sure I have the best angles to read license plates, except for the straight on shot if they park in the driveway. Who makes a License Plate Reader camera?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure I have the best angles to read license plates, except for the straight on shot if they park in the driveway. Who makes a License Plate Reader camera?
Check out the LPR forum for lots of info about that. I just used a Duaha bullet and replaced the 2.8mm lens with a 25mm lens I ordered from China. So far it's working well. I'm excited to combine it with Deepstack for better accuracy.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious how your set up works with this amount compared to less pictures taken. Does it take longer for the AI to process and get alerts? I have mine set to 2 at 1 second intervals.
From my testing when DS was first added, some of my cams benefited from longer than was at the time a max of 5 pictures.

My understanding is the photos are sent until DS confirms, so if it confirms in 3 photos, I do not believe it sends the remaining. But I haven't confirmed that yet.

Obviously if one's field of view allows them to do it in 2 photos, then it probably is a CPU saver.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From my testing when DS was first added, some of my cams benefited from longer than was at the time a max of 5 pictures.

My understanding is the photos are sent until DS confirms, so if it confirms in 3 photos, I do not believe it sends the remaining. But I haven't confirmed that yet.

Obviously if one's field of view allows them to do it in 2 photos, then it probably is a CPU saver.
I guess this weekend I'll do some testing with all the kids running around and see what happens.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

That is so awesome! It has been on my list, but I cannot get the BI versions where custom models was added to work for some reason. I rollback to the last critical and stable version and all is well. I do not change a thing and simply update and it quits working.

Can you share the model here? And which states?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is so awesome! It has been on my list, but I cannot get the BI versions where custom models was added to work for some reason. I rollback to the last critical and stable version and all is well. I do not change a thing and simply update and it quits working.

Can you share the model here? And which states?
You're more than welcome to try it. :) I attached my license plate model here (change the file extension from .txt back to .pt), but it's only trained on about 100 license plate images from my LPR cam in Minneapolis, so probably not very accurate, but it's working well for me. The images mostly look like this:

LPR.jpg

Attachments

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Another response from Ken today regarding pending changes...

OK the logic was ... if you put anything into the custom model box, those are the only custom models used. Leave the box blank and it's all custom models.

I am going to add a check for these:

objects:0
faces:0

if you put these into the custom box, objects or faces will not be used. Furthermore, since that box is no longer empty, NO custom objects will be used unless you specify one. So...

faces:0 ... objects, no faces, no custom models
faces:0,logos ... objects, no faces, just the custom model "logos"

faces:1 ... or if you put ANY non existent custom name in there, then only faces and objects will be analyzed.

faces:0,objects:0 .... actually won't do ANY analysis

version 5.4.7.8

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're more than welcome to try it. :) I attached my license plate model here (change the file extension from .txt back to .pt), but it's only trained on about 100 license plate images from my LPR cam in Minneapolis, so probably not very accurate, but it's working well for me. The images mostly look like this:

View attachment 91388
Sweet - Is yours reading the plate too? If so, does it add it to the Alert text?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sweet - Is yours reading the plate too? If so, does it add it to the Alert text?
Yep, I’m using Plate Recognizer and it returns the characters using the &PLATE macro for alert text. There is plenty of fine-tuning still to do, but working so far.

IMG_2660.jpg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I’m using Plate Recognizer and it returns the characters using the &PLATE macro for alert text. There is plenty of fine-tuning still to do, but working so far.

View attachment 91402
That is incredible! And the plate % confidence is higher than the car LOL.

How long did it take to train it?

I have not used the Macros - can you screenshot those settings so I have a go by?

Now if I can figure out why mine doesn't want to work above 5.4.6.3!

Last edited:

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is incredible! And the plate % confidence is higher than the car LOL.

How long did it take to train it?

I have not used the Macros - can you screenshot those settings so I have a go by?

Now if I can figure out why mine doesn't want to work above 5.4.6.3!
It took me 15 minutes to draw a box around each license plate in the 100 training images. The training itself ran for 2.5 hours.

There is a list of available macros in the Blue Iris help file, under the "Timecode and other Macros" section. Here's what I'm using:

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 09.12.13 AM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It took me 15 minutes to draw a box around each license plate in the 100 training images. The training itself ran for 2.5 hours.

There is a list of available macros in the Blue Iris help file, under the "Timecode and other Macros" section. Here's what I'm using:

View attachment 91435
WOW - that wasn't bad at all for that type of training!

Oh - I didn't realize that the Push Notification Text would also show up in the alert tab in Blue Iris main console? At least that is what it looked like it was from above in your screenshot?

I was trying to figure out how to do it from the Macros page in the global BI settings page.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
WOW - that wasn't bad at all for that type of training!

Oh - I didn't realize that the Push Notification Text would also show up in the alert tab in Blue Iris main console? At least that is what it looked like it was from above in your screenshot?

I was trying to figure out how to do it from the Macros page in the global BI settings page.
My earlier screenshot was from the mobile app, but the Deepstack results should also be displayed in the BI console's alerts memo field just the same. This is not defined from the push notification text, but they can obviously share the same source data depending on how you have it configured. :) My plate data is coming from Plate Recognizer.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My earlier screenshot was from the mobile app, but the Deepstack results should also be displayed in the BI console's alerts memo field just the same. This is not defined from the push notification text, but they can obviously share the same source data depending on how you have it configured. I'm sure others here can explain it more clearly than me. :) My plate data is coming from Plate Recognizer.
Oh ok, I am a little too excited about the plates option and was thinking it was a replacement for Plate Recognizer LOL, so I slowed down to digest what you are doing LOL.

I thought you had DS reading the plates, but now I see you are using it to make sure that a plate is in the image so that you are not sending images to Plate Recognizer that count against the monthly total!

Yeah, I had a lot of tweaking to get mine to do that, but this will probably be more consistent.