5.2.9.1X - Main stream 1 FPS in UI3

B-Murda

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I run 24/7 HD direct to disk recording.
I also have sub streams setup.

On one of the last few releases UI3 no longer runs the HD stream at normal FPS. This is also true in the Android mobile app.

So I log in and see the stream of everything. It's all running at 20FPS (my setting).
I USED to double click a stream in UI3, after a second it would jump to main stream and play at my also set FPS of 20.

Now however when I am clicking a stream it still pulls the main one up BUT changes to 1FPS.
What is funny though is IF I go into BU GUI and just highlight the one I am watching it will jump to 20FPS in the UI3. So it seems the Limit Decoding option isn't being override when a stream request like it used to.
Disabling that also solves the issue FWIW but this wasn't required before so suspect something broke.

Anyone else seeing this?
I've emailed Ken whom in the past was good at replying with a day or two always but I've not heard anything in weeks after a few emails. I am not sure if he's having email issues and not getting or just busy etc.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are emailing from a private domain, he won't get it. Use gmail or your ISP's email service.
Make sure you have the substreams set to the same FPS as the main stream in the cameras.

B-Murda

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Emailing from Yahoo. We've talked before as I helped him fix an issue with service stops crashing on reboots via some windows documentation I dug up on how to handle service stop delays inside the program on shut downs etc. He was super responsive and also was helping me with my Nest stream. Same thing, super responsive and great.

This is almost like he's not getting the emails? Has anyone else gotten anything in the last week or could someone let him know to check if he's having email issues again from some sources? I know he had some troubles in the past.

And my streams are both 20FPS. I've been setup and working since sub streams came out and enjoying his fixes/changes.
I take it you can't duplicate? If you have limit decoding enabled are your streams still going to proper FPS in UI3 when you click one from the main display of them all which is the sub stream?

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not getting any responses from him either. Emailing him from GMX.com and Outlook.com about an H.264 levels bug every single one of my systems have.

B-Murda

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know he's around as was doing releases still and I'm fine if he's busy so not gotten to yet, just want to make sure is getting them hah.

Can anyone confirm/duplicate this issue in my OP though? The BI GUI itself works as normal so no issues with it and FPS just seems to be UI3 related (which I assume impacts the mobile app since they use the same calls).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
He’s not released an update for a few days now which is very unlike him?

Hope he’s OK.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So the problem only occurs when you have a sub stream configured AND limit decoding enabled? I have not tried this combination. But it does not surprise me that there might be a bug when using both.

I've been trying since Friday to report a bunch of the issues still affecting my main system (which I keep updated) and his email server keeps replying with error messages. 4 tries, 3 different errors, 1 repeat error. It is nuts. Today I think it went through on the 5th try after I saved the email as a PDF and attached it to a new email.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got a GMail bounceback when I tried to send mail to him the other day; said mail was coming in too fast to him from his customers or something.

Sounds about right.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I had the same problem over the weekend with emails from my gmail account bouncing at the Blue Iris email server. Ken told me this morning regarding email bouncebacks:

Apparently there was some sort of attack, not sure. Seems OK now. I get SO MUCH EMAIL. What I NEED is a support person ... know anyone?

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same problem over the weekend with emails from my gmail account bouncing at the Blue Iris email server. Ken told me this morning regarding email bouncebacks:
He needs a proper ticketing system and support staff. But I doubt this will happen.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
He needs a proper ticketing system
I keep telling him that. Honestly I think a huge amount of support email goes unanswered because it is too easy to forget about conversations.

And there are a million systems trying to block email spam such that a lot never even gets received.

I think he hesitates to subscribe to one because it is a learning curve, and there are a LOT of ticketing system options to choose from, and also because it might increase the volume of support requests if shitty email systems aren't dropping half the messages for one reason or another.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I keep telling him that. Honestly I think a huge amount of support email goes unanswered because it is too easy to forget about conversations.

And there are a million systems trying to block email spam such that a lot never even gets received.

I think he hesitates to subscribe to one because it is a learning curve, and there are a LOT of ticketing system options to choose from, and also because it might increase the volume of support requests if shitty email systems aren't dropping half the messages for one reason or another.
I think more of it is that he's an extremely busy one man show. There are point releases coming out almost daily.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

On one of the last few releases UI3 no longer runs the HD stream at normal FPS. This is also true in the Android mobile app.

So I log in and see the stream of everything. It's all running at 20FPS (my setting).
I USED to double click a stream in UI3, after a second it would jump to main stream and play at my also set FPS of 20.

Now however when I am clicking a stream it still pulls the main one up BUT changes to 1FPS.
What is funny though is IF I go into BU GUI and just highlight the one I am watching it will jump to 20FPS in the UI3. So it seems the Limit Decoding option isn't being override when a stream request like it used to.
Disabling that also solves the issue FWIW but this wasn't required before so suspect something broke.

Anyone else seeing this?
I've emailed Ken whom in the past was good at replying with a day or two always but I've not heard anything in weeks after a few emails. I am not sure if he's having email issues and not getting or just busy etc.
Why would you run sub-streams and limit decoding at the same time!!! I think that is just asking for trouble.
If you want stability, stick to the stable releases. I can tolerate a few issues / bugs so I apply and enjoy the regular updates, knowing I may have to adjust some settings to make thr most of each release.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why would you run sub-streams and limit decoding at the same time!!! I think that is just asking for trouble.
If you want stability, stick to the stable releases.
Asking for trouble? It's just a poor design choice. Turn off limit decoding to make the system function better if you're gonna sub-stream

B-Murda

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get what you both are saying but this isn't a cookie cutter world. Not everyone's design or use case will this be true on. For me I gained a lot when sub-streams came out and used limit decoding before with motion and had fairly good results with proper keyframe. With the introduction to sub-streaming I gained a massive storage savings while maintaining 25/7 4k... This may not be true for everyone but that comes back to my comment of we're not in a cookie cutter world...
For me, I was using it exactly as it's documented and getting great advantages with the addition of sub-frames being added.

How you wonder??

H265+....
If any of you are aware how H265+ works you know it GREATLY decreases keyframes (in fact you can't even set them, which kinda sucks but I get it from technical level due to how it all works) but you get a massive storage saving. Mine is well over 65%. I record in full 4k @20fps 24/7 at 16k bit rate (max) so I was not using H265 or for storage savings but the ability to squeeze more quality out of that same 16k. (Lets not get into debate over FPS vs. quality either as OT).
Before he added sub-streams, I could NOT use H265+ and limit decoding because keyframes are too low to be useful for motion detection and not configurable in + mode (talking 0.10-0.30 on average, IE useless). I had to just use normal H265. Higher storage but CPU usage was decent due to limit decoding.
He added sub-streams.... Well, crap quality BUT keyframe can be set in H265 mode (+ not supported on sub, nor needed since not recording with). This is important for motion sensing since keyframe can be leveraged depending on desired sensitivity etc.

CPU usage while watching all streams, under 3-5% with images updated at keyframe interval, perfect for resource savings and still usefull for me at least because when motion is detected that camera automatically exist limit decoding and streams at full frames while in the multi camera view so you can keep an eye on multiple cameras but now see faster real-time on the interested one. CPU usage, about 10% (cause we're just watching a single sub stream and the others are still updating at keyframe only.)
I also have the ability to click on any one camera full screen it and cpu usage goes in 30% and I get the full HD stream of course.

My system can handle it all fine even with no decode and only main 4k on my multiple cams but I like to keep heat minimal and not burn power if I don't "need" to yet still want my 100% perfect max quality.
For me my system mostly sat idle with sub-streams with motion detection on and actively watching in the GUI or UI. Will this be perfect for everyone? Of course not. Some may need motion detection more sensitive than what keyframe usage would allow and different cpu/camera specs etc.

Now that it broke though (it was working) my CPU usage is sitting in the upper 20's cause all steams are decoding all the time with the GUI up instead of just the one motion was detected on since I have to disable limit or I can't full screen real-time anything I want.
It seems like anything I full-screen runs instead at the keyframe of the sub stream hah.

Generally you are correct though but nothing is 100%. I had 0 issues before, all my needs met, worked for MY needs and VERY light CPU usage considering the number of cameras and quality all max.

digiblur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Anyone else seeing this?
I started seeing this as well. I know it has to do with using the substream feature as I have another camera that isn't setup with the substream of the same exact type and it works fine.

B-Murda

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea but it wasn't introduced until I want to say the last 3 or 4 updates.
Initially you couldn't stream the main stream if had sub-stream. He later added that you could and it all worked fine still. few updates after this bug came in.
I've reported it and various other bugs but have not gotten a single email reply in over a month yet see random updates so not sure what's up. Not even the automated reply that used to get.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea but it wasn't introduced until I want to say the last 3 or 4 updates.
Initially you couldn't stream the main stream if had sub-stream. He later added that you could and it all worked fine still. few updates after this bug came in.
I've reported it and various other bugs but have not gotten a single email reply in over a month yet see random updates so not sure what's up. Not even the automated reply that used to get.
Make sure you are not using a private domain email server. He wouldn't receive them. Use gmail, live or your ISP's email server.