5.2.6 - April 22, 2020 - You can now skip updates until changes have been validated as stable by those on the more-frequent update track

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
5.2.6 - April 22, 2020
This version introduces a split in the automatic update function. You may now choose to
continue with (sometimes daily) updates encompassing both major changes and/or minor
fixes. Or, you may elect the new option, which will skip updates until changes have been
validated as stable by those on the more-frequent update track. In addition, previous stable
updates may be made available through this same mechanism, and options exist to backup
the main exe and update packages.

Attachments

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Somebody has to test the new stuff in various real-world situations, as we all know Ken doesn't have the resources for that.
I think it's a brilliant addition to an already fantastic product. But I'll let someone else try it first...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Somebody has to test the new stuff in various real-world situations, as we all know Ken doesn't have the resources for that.
I think it's a brilliant addition to an already fantastic product. But I'll let someone else try it first...
Thats what the checkbox for auto updates was for. But unlike you, there are many who dont have the patience and immediately update critical systems. Then they get upset when there are issues. This is intended to get them off his back. I doubt it will, but its a good idea for the casual user. Hopefully he sets the default to critical and stable updates only. I'd guess folks have been asking for this for a while and the latest string of bad updates forced him to do it.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
BI keeps getting better everyday. I am seeing update almost every other day :D Nice to know BI is always making the software better and better everyday Thank you !!!

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or, you may elect the new option, which will skip updates until changes have been validated as stable by those on the more-frequent update track
How do validate and Update as stable?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How do validate and Update as stable?
You dont. The software tells you as you can see in the image I uploaded. IF you question is how does the developer validate it, I would guess he just waits to see of there is a flood of emails with issues after an update is released.

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5.2.6 - April 22, 2020
This version introduces a split in the automatic update function. You may now choose to
continue with (sometimes daily) updates encompassing both major changes and/or minor
fixes. Or, you may elect the new option, which will skip updates until changes have been
validated as stable by those on the more-frequent update track. In addition, previous stable
updates may be made available through this same mechanism, and options exist to backup
the main exe and update packages.
One question, I am well back in updates (typically many months), so is the 5.2.6 version considered "stable" so I can upgrade and make use of this valuable new feature?

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so is the 5.2.6 version considered "stable" so I can upgrade and make use of this valuable new feature?
The picture in the first post shows that the 5.2.5.10 is considered to be the latest stable update.

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The picture in the first post shows that the 5.2.5.10 is considered to be the latest stable update.
Yes, but I believe that release doesn't include the new stabile updates only feature

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ironically this is the first update I did that failed and froze BI on the first attempt.. maybe that's a bad omen but I'm sure I'll still always install the latest and greatest lol. Second attempt went smooth. I check BI enough I always just update when I open the GUI.

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"New" and "stable" don't come together.
Somehow you missed my point. This is a well needed feature, but I won't get access until there is a stable release identified after 5.2.6. I'll just sit back and keep an eye on the board for the members to label a newer version as stable. If I've learned anything over the past 10 years here it's to be patient and not upgrade without a compelling reason.

Thanks to everyone here. Stay safe

Last edited:

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So far I've reported things that have turned out to be problems in Blue Iris and nothing in my setup, yet I pay to do this.
We pay small dollars to get a powerful software app; granted, if you stay on the latest version you will have to handle some bumps in the road and you will be assisting with finding bugs. Personally, for me the value that BI provides relative to its cost is high. So I'm a happy camper. I just avoid using the latest versions unless required. Good luck!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So far I've reported things that have turned out to be problems in Blue Iris and nothing in my setup, yet I pay to do this.
you have the option to wait for a stable release. The rest of us like the option to upgrade when WE choose and don’t want to wait 6 months. If you have update ocd that causes you to update every single mini release then that’s your problem. If a therapist can’t help you learn to control your impulses move to another vms that only publishes updates annually.