4MP dome with quality external IR vs. 4MP turret or Bullet?

vince32837

n3wb
Reaction score
Gentlemen-

I have been researching Hikvision 4MP series of Cameras-

1. 4mp Dome DS-2CD2142FWD-IS/4
  2. 4MP Turret DS-2CD2342WD-I/4
  3. 4MP Bullet DS-2CD2042WD-I/4

I live on a real rural road on 2 acres with standing swamp water 100 FT from the House and larger swamp water 500-600 ft on other side of House..no street lights, very dark at night unless full moon..bottom line is lots of mud daubers wasp nests, spiders, grasshoppers, hawks etc 90% humidity, FL heat...all cameras can be mounted in the shade outside

Read about all the pros & cons of each camera style.

Dome- tough see direction pointing, almost vandal proof, tougher to install and point, IR bleed, insects drawn to the LED cluster
Turret- tougher to hit off axis than bullet, IR few inches away, insects/spiders can still be attracted, wasp try to install a nest in turret edge?, tell direction its pointed
bullet- easy to install, easy to knock off axis, insect/spider attracted, tell direction pointed.

In daylight all youtube videos and pics on this forum show high quality video from all 3 models.

But for my rural swamp like circumstance "pretty house in the swamp", which option would you choose?

OPTION 1-
4MP dome (4mm lens), and turn off the IR, and add 4-6 decent quality external illuminators,
is that a winning combo?...no IR bleed and no insect attraction?OPTION 2- 4MP turret camera (4mm lens) beefy enough that even in the swamp conditions I need nothing else?

OPTION 3-
4MP turret camera + external IR illuminators

OPTION 4-
4MP bullet camera only + a sign "swamp creatures please stay away from cameras for proper viewing"

The local installers, want me to go bullet (option 4), they only put dome inside usually. of course easier to install

From what I have read, IR illumination beats 4 strong LED flood lights all 4 sides of house from a camera perspective.

and if external IR illuminator option is best, is it worth doing? 5% improved night vision over internal IR or 25%?

thanks Vince

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Use external LED bulbs..the lightning adds security and you will have a color image... turret...

vince32837

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman,
The insects will leave turrets alone?
Or do I need talstar insecticide to keep them away?
Thank for the reply

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman,
The insects will leave turrets alone?
Or do I need talstar insecticide to keep them away?
Thank for the reply
You will be fine...
Also if you use external lighting only and no IR it wont be an issue anyway...also remember that the 2mp turret will be better in low light than the 4mp.

SP2150

n3wb
Reaction score
fenderman- Can a 4mp record in 2mp? If so, would it have similar night vision capabilities or is it more complicated than that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman- Can a 4mp record in 2mp? If so, would it have similar night vision capabilities or is it more complicated than that?
Yes it can do 2mp, but that wont help the night vision...it has to be a native 2mp sensor.

CodeGreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IMO if you want the best contrast you should so the turrents and extra IR.

Have you considered DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 ? Great IR, better than turrents, possible you may not need extra IR.

Also bugs go towards lights no matter the type, and since youre in a "swamp" you will likely have more than less.

The only reason to put external visible light is if you want to be able to see without the cameras, as you said IR is stronger, also with IR illuminators near the cameras you will have less shading than with say visible light "around"

Edit:
I picked up these for external IR on some existing cameras, they work pretty well. Though I prefer the 2cd22xx and 2cd2Txx models than adding external lighting
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-LED-Infrared-Night-Vision-IR-Light-illuminator-Lamp-For-IP-CCTV-CCD-Camera-New-/371599246642

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Edit:
I picked up these for external IR on some existing cameras, they work pretty well. Though I prefer the 2cd22xx and 2cd2Txx models than adding external lighting
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-LED-Infrared-Night-Vision-IR-Light-illuminator-Lamp-For-IP-CCTV-CCD-Camera-New-/371599246642
Do you have an example or something using that emitter? I bought for the same reason a similar emitter (this) and it was bad.
I have one Hik dome camera above the garage door pointing at the driveway and I hoped this emitter would bring in some more light.
I did, but very sparsely and very spot like. The Hik's LED's were both brighter and more spread out.

To bad though, because I really like the small form factor and extra light would be great.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 is a beast, I wouldn't use that to video anything close by. 6m absolute minimum distance or you'll get white wash and too much IR reflection.

What recording device are you planning on using?

vince32837

n3wb
Reaction score
Code green,
Thanks for bullet suggestion..they are big..wife might get traumatized..

Going to be 14 HD camera install, locals here recommend watch dog NVR..I've built 2 PC's in the past, probably cheaper to build a dedicated PC around purple western digital drives?

Vince

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Code green,

Going to be 14 HD camera install, locals here recommend watch dog NVR..I've built 2 PC's in the past, probably cheaper to build a dedicated PC around purple western digital drives?

Vince
Dont build a pc..its much cheaper to buy one..search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk

CodeGreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Code green,

Vince
You might have to avoid extra IR. Adding IR with a camera is like having two cameras. 2042&2142 will definantly need extra. If your wife is of concern maybe some led flood lights are best, though makes property owners look concerned with 24/7 lighting