4mm Mini Dome 4MP 6MP or 8MP

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to get a Hikvision Mini Dome for the house (inside the main floor) pointed at the door. Few questions, I've read in past that higher MP provides worse IR/Night imaging and also read the opposite... What say you?
Based on that, where is the best place to get a Hikvision Mini Dome? OR if there is another low profile IP camera recommended please let me know.

Thanks,

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want best performance in low light conditions, you are better off to chase sensor size and not MP.

A higher MP camera is fine if it is paired with an ideal sensor size.

It is best to find a camera where the MP and sensor is in the green:

1715907539988.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to get a Hikvision Mini Dome for the house (inside the main floor) pointed at the door. Few questions, I've read in past that higher MP provides worse IR/Night imaging and also read the opposite... What say you?
Based on that, where is the best place to get a Hikvision Mini Dome? OR if there is another low profile IP camera recommended please let me know.

Thanks,
Hi

Nutshellmt .. it is a bit nuanced.

If basically the same tech level you want "larger pixel" size on the sensor .. this basically will mean getting less resolution cameras for the same size sensor if you want better low light performance.

So do look closer at the specs of the cameras you are looking at .. and if they are newer models in the same tech tier then the one with the larger pixel size ( sensor size / resolution works well enough here ) should do better in low light

Naturally there's a lot more to this as lighting conditions do make a difference as well as shadows

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want best performance in low light conditions, you are better off to chase sensor size and not MP.

A higher MP camera is fine if it is paired with an ideal sensor size.

It is best to find a camera where the MP and sensor is in the green:
Thanks! So that said if you have something you would recommend off top of your head, love to hear your advice/opinion. I"m looking to put two into my brothers home and he wants something minimally intrusive...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI I like the mini dome wedge dahua model at face level .. they used to have 2mp versions .. 2.8mm lens gives a good wide view .. but still need a camera for the package drop area

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI I like the mini dome wedge dahua model at face level .. they used to have 2mp versions .. 2.8mm lens gives a good wide view .. but still need a camera for the package drop area
I was looking at a 4mm since they just want to point it at the entrance area. Was looking for 4 or 6mp but based on your advice i'll check sensor size.

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ordered myself couple of these beasts for my home

I don't believe there are any better out there atm.

ps; Not really for indoor as they are quite large turrets