4K with large sensor, but in turret form?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw @Wildcat_1 great review of the IPC-Color4K-X, Dahua's 4K bullet style camera with 1/1.2” sensor. The night performance seems pretty good. Does anyone know if Dahua or Hikvision has released similar performance turret style 4K camera? I see a 1/1.8" turret, but not one with 1/1.2" sensor.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw @Wildcat_1 great review of the IPC-Color4K-X, Dahua's 4K bullet style camera with 1/1.2” sensor. The night performance seems pretty good. Does anyone know if Dahua or Hikvision has released similar performance turret style 4K camera? I see a 1/1.8" turret, but not one with 1/1.2" sensor.
Maybe this year.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that fits the bill. For $240ish, that's not bad. No IR version unfortunately. Only full time color w/ white LED illumination.

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think any of these new 1.2” sensor cams do IR, do they?

The idea is to ensure you have even just a small amount of light so you can get a decent colour image

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think any of these new 1.2” sensor cams do IR, do they?

The idea is to ensure you have even just a small amount of light so you can get a decent colour image
So that means the IR filter is fixed? No IR at all?

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No IR at all. Comes with a built in white light LED which you can use to add additional light to the scene if necessary.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
They will do B&W and you'll get a sharper "IR-like" image in some cases vs color. You still need visible light to do it though.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I would say that turret is definitely on the cards and I know that from an R&D perspective this work has already started. The concern would be chip availability for production this year. In other words, assuming the chip shortage situation improves, the turret version may see the light of day by calendar Q3 or Q4 even if its in limited quantities. However IF a) the shortages persist and or b) R&D see's issues with the larger sensor pairing to SOC in a turret footprint then it would slip to next year. The longer term future for these cams would be a motorized / vari version but that will be a lot more work due to the current optics (work well but of course fixed and shallow DOF) and ensuring a decent optic/SOC pairing that can pull off light gathering at distance. The falloff for the Color4K-X at night can be quite abrupt depending on the FOV and lighting as I've shown before so this would be even more of a concern in a vari. Therefore if asked about a vari version, that to me is easily 2023/2024 and probably after both a) a turret form (fixed) and b) potentially an S2 version of the bullet cam.

HTH

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They will do B&W and you'll get a sharper "IR-like" image in some cases vs color. You still need visible light to do it though.
I can't see any way to do that on my DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL

Just installed one to a spot that is nearly pitch black overnight and unsurprisingly you can't see much at all with no ambient light and no IR. Once the LED motion activated flood light comes on though, it looks fantastic.