4K Cameras

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered and tried one of the 4K Cameras yet? It looks like there is a IPC-HDBW4800EN which isn't crazy expensive.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
0.1 Lux... this will only be good as a daylight camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they must have just missed a 0. Seriously there is a space where the zero should be on their spec sheets:

You would think a company who does this for a living would be more careful with their spec sheets.

Anyway, those cams have been around for a year already (or has it been two?) but the prices are too high for me.

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This doesn't mean a thing. If there is no info about shutter speed, IRE and maybe color temperature (energy of light), you can write 0.1 or even 0.0001 lux and it still will be true.
Just look at SONY cameras, PERFECT low light performance - 0.3lux in datasheet. Why? Because it's 0.3lux with IRE50 and 1/30shutter speed :)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
The numbers are meaningless when comparing lux rating between brands. Every company will have a different metric and setting they use. Here I am simply comparing rating between other Dahua cams and either it's a mistake or it's not a very sensitive sensor.

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The numbers are meaningless when comparing lux rating between brands. Every company will have a different metric and setting they use.r.
If you have full data: IRE, shutter speed, F number and temperature (+ maybe reflection ratio) you can compare between brands. Unfortunately, datasheets are written by marketing department, not R&D, that is why I always ask for full information.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am curious to see how the Dahua 4k cameras are. I like the idea of getting some into my system. I am looking forward to reading about them and if I am the one who gets one soonest I will try to put together a review of sorts and post it here.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for 4K to get cheaper (or at least larger sensors for great low-light) before jumping in. Right now with 4K (8 megapixels) costing about 4 times as much as 4 megapixels, it just doesn't appeal that much.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
what size sensor is considered "larger" ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1/2" is Dahua's Starlight, and Hik's DarkFighter.. roughly, i think its a tad smaller than that in actuality.

the problem is optics, good high res optics for those size sensors have not been mass produced in quantities nessicary for them to come down to sane levels.. 1/3" has been the defacto size for decades and optics are plentiful and cheap.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on "sane" levels? say compared to a Dahua IPC-HFW81200E-Z which seems to be on Aliexpress for $300 to $400 last I looked, I would look it up myself but I have no idea . I assume you are talking about "box" type camera bodies with the detachable lenses? The Dahua IPC-HF81200E is the box style cam but it has the same size sensor according to the specs page 1/1.7" which to be honest I don't even know how to interpret that size spec.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well thats well over twice the cost of there 1/3" (or 1/2.8") counterparts with twice the resolution, with the only differences being the sensor size and corresponding optics.. if they came down to a more reasonable premium, for $300-400 you can get a 2MP Dahua PTZ that can see pretty deep into the darkness w/out the big sensor and fixed fov.. once Dahua had a Starlight PTZ and IIRC it was well over a grand, when the same cam with 1/2.8 sensor was $600.

the large sensor size needs to become the new standard, at least thats how many of us feel about it.. need to shift, putting more pixels into the same size sensor has been hurting low light for long enough.. cramming 6x as many megapixels into a 1/3" sensor for UHD is going to really take back gains in low light performance if this does not happen.