4K camera choice

marzian

n3wb
Reaction score
You have to pick one 4k camera for outdoor use. Price is a minor factor within the consumer world. Say up to $500. I know no one model will fit everybody's needs but you get one pick. Thanks.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you going to send it to me? :rofl:

I wouldn't buy a 4k(8MP) just yet. Until they start using larger sensors than 1/1.8 in them a 2k(4MP) with a 1/1.8" sensor will beat the pants off it at night. There is a Sony with a 35mm sensor that works really well but the camera body, sans lens and weatherproof enclosure, is over $1000.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to pick one 4k camera for outdoor use. Price is a minor factor within the consumer world. Say up to $500. I know no one model will fit everybody's needs but you get one pick. Thanks.
Hi @marzian

Why only 1 pick?
What are the functional needs and requirements?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on not buying a 4k camera yet. My neighbor thought he was all fancy with his 4k cameras and it failed him during a door checking event. Meanwhile, my many years old 2MP camera provided the picture that the police were able to use to get all my neighbors stuff back!

My neighbor ended up replacing several of his 4k cameras with the makes of my 2MP cameras....

marzian

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @marzian

Why only 1 pick?
What are the functional needs and requirements?
I need to replace aging Hikvision 1080P cameras. Never thought they would hold up so well for about 8 years. I am not married to the 4k idea. I just want as good of a camera as today's technology has to offer. Watching the house perimeter in a suburban home.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is simple LOL - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Most 4k are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I need to replace aging Hikvision 1080P cameras. Never thought they would hold up so well for about 8 years. I am not married to the 4k idea. I just want as good of a camera as today's technology has to offer. Watching the house perimeter in a suburban home.
HI @marzian

Please see the DORI section in the cliff notes.

Decide if you want to optimize for daytime or low light conditions.

marzian

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you going to send it to me? :rofl:

I wouldn't buy a 4k(8MP) just yet. Until they start using larger sensors than 1/1.8 in them a 2k(4MP) with a 1/1.8" sensor will beat the pants off it at night. There is a Sony with a 35mm sensor that works really well but the camera body, sans lens and weatherproof enclosure, is over $1000.
1/2.7" such as let's say Amcrest 4K would be a horrible choice then?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I really like my IPC-T5442T-ZE and IPC-T5442TM-AS 4k cameras and they are really good at night because they have a nice 1/1.8" sensor and reasonably priced below $200
That's because they are NOT 4k camera's but 4mp :)

What ' s The difference between 2K and 4K resolution?
In comparison, DCI 4K resolution is 4,096 x 2,160 pixels, resulting in a total pixel count of 8,847,360. With horizontal and vertical dimensions twice as large as 2K, a DCI 4K image has four times the total resolution of a 2K image. In some cases, the terms UHD and 4K will be used interchangeably.

Dahua are bringing the 4k same sensor and lens out soon though so should be a good shootout between both.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did. I would say if it's a trade-off, I'd take better daytime performance over nighttime.
Hi @marzian,

If you have a Hikvision NVR I'd review the model ljw2k recommended and see if it will work for you. ( sounds like a great option if you only have 1 camera you need to pick up to work with your other Hik cameras )
( remember to check that your NVR can handle a 8MP camera .. )

If you are using blue iris, you could also look at Dahua OEM cameras.

Either way, there should be a number of good reviews to check out here by members.

I would say the Brand New 4K HIKVISION DS-2CD2087G2-LU with it's 1/1.2" sensor and F1:0 lens is the best Day & Night camera I have had to date.
Have a read through the thread below it has lots of Realtime images and clips day & night time then you can make your own mind up.

Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L) | IP Cam Talk

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's because they are NOT 4k camera's but 4mp :)

What ' s The difference between 2K and 4K resolution?
In comparison, DCI 4K resolution is 4,096 x 2,160 pixels, resulting in a total pixel count of 8,847,360. With horizontal and vertical dimensions twice as large as 2K, a DCI 4K image has four times the total resolution of a 2K image. In some cases, the terms UHD and 4K will be used interchangeably.

Dahua are bringing the 4k same sensor and lens out soon though so should be a good shootout between both.
Sorry I meant 4MP , the max resolution of the cameras I got is 2688x1520 so closer to 2k

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry I meant 4MP , the max resolution of the cameras I got is 2688x1520 so closer to 2k
That's correct but still excellent performers for most installs with a better Web GUI than Hikvision also.

marzian

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @marzian,

If you have a Hikvision NVR I'd review the model ljw2k recommended and see if it will work for you. ( sounds like a great option if you only have 1 camera you need to pick up to work with your other Hik cameras )
( remember to check that your NVR can handle a 8MP camera .. )

If you are using blue iris, you could also look at Dahua OEM cameras.

Either way, there should be a number of good reviews to check out here by members.
I am using BI and I am almost done with the 40 pages of the Hikvision discussion. I am impressed so far!