4 new Cameras needed on the second floor.

menace

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an older house where they want 4 new cameras added to the second floor (2 external, 2 internal), The NVR and switches are all in the basement. Wondering if I can run one single cat 6 from the basement up to the second floor and then add a 4 or 8 port poe switch up there on the second floor to then branch out from there and attach the 3 or 4 IP Cameras? OR is this a no no and will I need to run 3 or 4 cat runs up to the cameras from the basement? Thanks in advance for any advice , opinions..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the benefit of the IP cams is that you can add switches to minimize runs.

But we would be remiss if we do not mention that 2nd story camera locations are only good for OBSERVATION purposes and not IDENTIFICATION purposes. A 2.8mm camera at each corner will allow them to see something happened, but not identify who did it.

menace

n3wb
Reaction score
That is the benefit of the IP cams is that you can add switches to minimize runs.

But we would be remiss if we do not mention that 2nd story camera locations are only good for OBSERVATION purposes and not IDENTIFICATION purposes. A 2.8mm camera at each corner will allow them to see something happened, but not identify who did it.
Thank you

menace

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes you can. I have my detached garage cameras set up that way. :thumb:
Let me know if you had any bandwidth Issues if you get a chance. I'm curious - if I have these four 4k cameras into this 2nd floor poe switch - that then funnels the 4 cameras video traffic back to the nvr (in the basement) thru it's single cat6 cable. Curious if it'll handle that ok?

menace

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an older house where they want 4 new cameras added to the second floor (2 external, 2 internal), The NVR and switches are all in the basement. Wondering if I can run one single cat 6 from the basement up to the second floor and then add a 4 or 8 port poe switch up there on the second floor to then branch out from there and attach the 3 or 4 IP Cameras? OR is this a no no and will I need to run 3 or 4 cat runs up to the cameras from the basement? Thanks in advance for any advice , opinions..
Let me know if you had any bandwidth Issues if you get a chance. I'm curious - if I have these four 4k cameras into this 2nd floor poe switch - that then funnels the 4 cameras video traffic back to the nvr (in the basement) thru it's single cat6 cable. Curious if it'll handle that ok?

00Buck

Known around here
Reaction score
The cat6 will handle it and a regular switch should be ok, a gigabit switch will handle it.

menace

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the reply, yes it's all ubiquiti , all gigabit capable and the nvr is pretty beefy thank goodness.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I dont have any 4K cameras so my comments are unqualified,

Looking at a 4k camera spec eg. IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV , Network: RJ-45 (10/100 Base-T)

so i dont understand why people are going crazy after gigabit switches.

also the effort needed for running 1 cable or 4 or even 10 cables from basement to 2nd storey is the same.

From what you said in post one, it appears that you are doing a job for someone, why not lay out the different options for them to choose and let them decide.

For me i will personally wire all 4 cables from basement to 2nd storey... 1 less device / POE switch required / Save $$ / power / electricity.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^and not go with a 4k camera....It is simple LOL do not chase MP - 4k is not there yet...do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Most 4k are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP .... but that is a whole other story to go along with not putting cameras on 2nd story unless they are for observation and not identification...