4.7.8 - August 28, 2018 - Support for the Nvidia CUDA hardware decoding

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
If your 200 watts is accurate I cant help but ask how you get by on 1 kWh per month. 200 watts for 24 hours is 4800 watts, 4.8 kWh per day. Thirty days of that is about 144 kWh for the PC alone, unless you have a roof full of solar panels and storage for daytime overage to supplement at night, too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've considered a budget PC for BI and other 24 x 7 stuff, in fact I used to have an old box without HA running all my 24 x 7 apps. Even a laptop years ago. Other gadgets have since consumed that extra space.

If 200 watts is accurate, that is pretty high. But my whole house averages about 1000 kWh per month in summer, and that includes 3 40 to 70 watt air purifiers running 24 x 7 (kid allergies) and periods of two window air conditioners running and hot tub is heating and/or blowing at many thousands of watts at times. Not bad for 3k square feet and less than my previous house that was a third smaller. I'm not sweating the power bill.
You total usage is irrelevant to the calculation...you may pay very little per kwh but even then you are looking at a 100 dollar difference per year vs an efficient system. On the higher end of the scale where folks pay .20 a kwh you are looking at a 300 per year difference.

peterfram

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Point taken. If accurate, that covers the cost of a whole year of Netflix! As right as you are, in the interest of having one PC in the house, for my next PC upgrade, I'll probably still go high end. But add in a newer more efficient PSU, hopefully the more modern chip set and motherboard has better power management, Core I9-9900k TDP is a third less than my current CPU and about a third faster if rumors are true.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Point taken. If accurate, that covers the cost of a whole year of Netflix! As right as you are, in the interest of having one PC in the house, for my next PC upgrade, I'll probably still go high end. But add in a newer more efficient PSU, hopefully the more modern chip set and motherboard has better power management, Core I9-9900k TDP is a third less than my current CPU and about a third faster if rumors are true.
again missing the point...having a dedicated pc makes any vms more reliable - blue iris should always be run on a dedicated pc...I always laugh at folks who make it seem like they have all the money in the world, yet are using blue iris in stead of an enterprise vms and using low end cameras to save a few bux. You fool no one. Surely you have room in the house for a second pc.

peterfram

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm quite happy with things the way they are. And that is my point. Your point doesn't have to be my point.

peterfram

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And they should follow your advice for the vast majority of situations and use cases. :)

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
any idea why using nvidia decoding, there is a "limit" to the number of cameras it supports? I mean why do you get hardware decoding errors with nvidia when you have too much cameras while intel quicksync does not seem to have such pb?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say email support and ask BI for that answer. They're the ones that would know definitively. I sent them an email asking if BI will utilize multiple CUDA cards. Still waiting for an answer to that one, only a couple of days so far and I know it's a one man shop.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
any idea why using nvidia decoding, there is a "limit" to the number of cameras it supports? I mean why do you get hardware decoding errors with nvidia when you have too much cameras while intel quicksync does not seem to have such pb?
Intel has as limit too… it is just high enough that almost nobody reaches it before they max out their CPU usage anyway.

As far as I can tell, Nvidia uses a much less efficient decoding method that is at least partially dependent on your GPU's processing power and available video memory. So a faster GPU with more video memory allows you to decode more cameras. I don't know what matters more... video memory or CUDA cores (overall GPU speed). From what I've seen so far, you would need a high-end gaming card like a GTX 1080 or 1080ti in order for it to handle as much as Intel Quick Sync. This drastically increases the purchase price of the system, increases power consumption and heat generation, requires a bigger computer case and makes the computer significantly heavier. In fact you may need a bigger power supply to adequately feed such a huge GPU, and more system RAM because in Blue Iris the Nvidia CUDA acceleration increases memory usage more than other decoding methods. For all of these reasons, Nvidia acceleration is not a good choice for most installations.

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok yup that's what I thought. Nvidia acceleration is pretty useless... Dunno if this gonna change with future updates.

Reaction score
Intel has as limit too… it is just high enough that almost nobody reaches it before they max out their CPU usage anyway.

As far as I can tell, Nvidia uses a much less efficient decoding method that is at least partially dependent on your GPU's processing power and available video memory. So a faster GPU with more video memory allows you to decode more cameras. I don't know what matters more... video memory or CUDA cores (overall GPU speed). From what I've seen so far, you would need a high-end gaming card like a GTX 1080 or t080ti in order for it to handle as much as Intel Quick Sync. This drastically increases the purchase price of the system, increases power consumption and heat generation, requires a bigger computer case and makes the computer significantly heavier. In fact you may need a bigger power supply to adequately feed such a huge GPU, and more system RAM because in Blue Iris the Nvidia CUDA acceleration increases memory usage more than other decoding methods. For all of these reasons, Nvidia acceleration is not a good choice for most installations.
I'm Running 54 Cameras for a client on i7-7700 at resolutions about 1024x768 these cameras (most of them are capable of 1080 resolution some are 4MP. They run at 10FPS and CPU usage is about 33%. If I add 1060 VGA will I be able to run these on double resoulution at about same CPU usage? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm Running 54 Cameras for a client on i7-7700 at resolutions about 1024x768 these cameras (most of them are capable of 1080 resolution some are 4MP. They run at 10FPS and CPU usage is about 33%. If I add 1060 VGA will I be able to run these on double resoulution at about same CPU usage? Thanks
No... And for the price of the 1060 you could buy a second system... You could double the resolution right now and run it on your current system.... Are you using Intel Hardware acceleration?

Reaction score
No... And for the price of the 1060 you could buy a second system... You could double the resolution right now and run it on your current system.... Are you using Intel Hardware acceleration?
I'm not really sure. I have done some testing before with and without HW acceleration and did not give much of difference. I been switching versions here and there in the past year. I will swing by there and post update. I noticed if I push CPU over 50% will cause some instability (camera loss or freezing...) I made machine restart two times a day which improved stability. BTW EVGA GTX 1060 is $300. In your opinion acceleration is in early development?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure. I have done some testing before with and without HW acceleration and did not give much of difference. I been switching versions here and there in the past year. I will swing by there and post update. I noticed if I push CPU over 50% will cause some instability (camera loss or freezing...) I made machine restart two times a day which improved stability. BTW EVGA GTX 1060 is $300. In your opinion acceleration is in early development?
You have not tested properly...intel HA will result in a SIGNIFICANT cpu savings..make sure to restart the service after enabling it and you need to enable it for each camera unless they are all set to default and you enable it in options. Your cpu supports it. If you have a video card REMOVE it.
Yes the 1060 is 300. You can buy an i7-6700 hp elitedesk on ebay for 400 or so...

Reaction score
You have not tested properly...intel HA will result in a SIGNIFICANT cpu savings..make sure to restart the service after enabling it and you need to enable it for each camera unless they are all set to default and you enable it in options. Your cpu supports it. If you have a video card REMOVE it.
Yes the 1060 is 300. You can buy an i7-6700 hp elitedesk on ebay for 400 or so...
I will do some testing, I really could not catch up with last few months development of BI, few months ago this system was running on 70% . Great job! UI3 makes it so much more useful. Thanks for fast reply and useful info!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will do some testing, I really could not catch up with last few months development of BI, few months ago this system was running on 70% . Great job! UI3 makes it so much more useful. Thanks for fast reply and useful info!
Intel hardware acceleration has been around since jan 2016...ui3 was developed by BP2008