3tb wd purple not recognized by samsung surveillance system

cata

n3wb
Reaction score
Just installed e new 3tb wd purple in my samsung surveillance system and is not recognized like"hdd not installed " what can I do to fix this? Thank you.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What model of surveillance system? If it is very old, it might not support large drives like that.

Otherwise I would recommend connecting the drive to a PC and use GSmartControl to see if it is defective. GSmartControl :: Home & News

cata

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, it is a samsung sdr5100 , it came with a 2tb seagate pipeline hdd inside that died

cata

n3wb
Reaction score
Haha...just so that earlier....gues O should have checked before buying. ...so biggest I can put is 2tb....sucks. ....
thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2TB hit a limit on older disk controllers and operating systems, for drives >2GB they need a different partition format and possibly a newer filesystem..

If you cannot return the disk or the cost between 2TB is negligible then you could try putting it into a PC and creating a 2TB partition (non-GPT format), leaving 1TB unpartitioned and see if your system recognizes it then... it might not work though as the drive controller might not be capable of recognizing it.

Anyone putting a disk larger than 2TB into an older system needs to check compatibility first, this is a common issue.. it sucks but stuff like WindowsXP and earlier cannot handle drives that large.