3990X & Blueirs thoughts ?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wanted to see what your guys opinion is how will this CPU perform or what are your guesses on what kind of load it can handle ? for blue iris ?

I am not planning on getting it but Wanted to just see what you guys think it can handle.. since it has a really high core count and decent memory cache

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just wanted to see what your guys opinion is how will this CPU perform or what are your guesses on what kind of load it can handle ? for blue iris ?

I am not planning on getting it but Wanted to just see what you guys think it can handle.. since it has a really high core count and decent memory cache

I assume this is a tongue in cheek question :)

I can tell you that my 2950X Threadripper (16 cores) barely notices my 3 4k & 3 2k cameras - claims 9% usage on BI. But the more I think about it that 3990X should make a nifty 'economy' build.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wondering, how does it encode without Quicksync? I've recently thought about AMD simply because the Ryzen 3's are very powerful and with Ryzen 4 on the horizon, I reckon the end of this year will see them in the bargain bucket price range where Ryzen 2 is now.

(Edited as mistakenly said Freesync not QuickSync!)

Last edited:

Mayhym

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running 8- 8mp cameras with a 2200G ($77) continuous recording at about 25% idle and 50% when viewing clips. A 3990X may be able to handle like 2 more cameras :rofl: So far only laptop processors have been announced for Ryzen 4000, a price drop may take a while considering the latest pricing on Ryzen 3000 Threadripper was driven up in order to entice people to buy out the existing Ryzen 2000 stock. I would expect the pricing of existing stock this year to remain solid, and next year another shift in pricing and processors once the next set of consoles, PS5 and Xbox, release which use Ryzen and AMD's Navi graphics. That will likely bring a new chipset design and be the end of the Ryzen series in 2021.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Ryzen 4 desktop is expected out at the latter end of this year.

Interesting to note though that you 2200G (integrated graphics?) is encoding 8 x 8mp cameras at only 25%. Would be interested to see more reports of this make the BI database as maybe Intel is no longer necessary for BI.

The latest 3400G which costs around $129 (?) is supposed to leave the i5-9400 Coffee Lake standing for graphics performance:

How much that translates to encoding, I'm unsure but your report on the much slower last generation 2200G appears to give some indication that it could be a viable alternative.

Mayhym

n3wb
Reaction score
Some screenshots. I'm really pleased with the performance so far for a system that costs under $500, excluding hard drives, and duplicating to 2 TV's/monitors not like that makes much difference. If a new 4000 series APU does release later this year that will give me a great upgrade path in the future. I'll probably wait for a price drop but I'd imagine that would be late in 2021 or 2022.

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some screenshots. I'm really pleased with the performance so far for a system that costs under $500, excluding hard drives, and duplicating to 2 TV's/monitors not like that makes much difference. If a new 4000 series APU does release later this year that will give me a great upgrade path in the future. I'll probably wait for a price drop but I'd imagine that would be late in 2021 or 2022.
It is important to note that its only running at 20 percent because you are using limit decoding which affects motion detection and will spike the cpu if you remote view (and didnt uncheck require decode in webcast settings) or if you try to play back multiple streams at one. This is explained in the wiki.
You could achieve a better result in performance and efficiency on a used intel system that cost 150 or significantly better numbers on an i5-8500 based system for about 400.
Note there is no reason to redact local ip addresses.

Last edited:
Reaction score

see: Ryzen 3950x for Blue Iris
you are just throwing more cores at a problem, when an earlier assessment indicates that memory bandwidth will be a problem long before you reach core limitations.

Also comparing the AMD APU's, just remember that they are running a generation behind, so a Ryzen 5 3600 is actually a year newer platform than a Ryzen 3200G. I am excited for the 4000 series APU's, since they have an 8c/16t version already disclosed for laptops, maybe there will be an 85w-100w desktop version in late 2020 or early 2021. Would still wait to see what price and performance is relative to the Intel before seriously considering one since you lose Quicksync.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice testing thread. Missed that one. Certainly though, a 3950x is overkill. It would be a bit ridiculous to buy a $700+ CPU to run CCTV. That's why it's interesting to know if the 3400G is up to the job considering it's price is only $129 and it's supposed to be more powerful graphically than the i5-9400 in many tasks. Not sure what he 9400 comes in price wise, but pretty sure it's more than that.

Mayhym

n3wb
Reaction score
if you remote view
If I ever get it figured out I'll report back.

Edit: So I attached a pic of CPU usage during remote viewing through the BI android app. It does at one point peak to 89% but generally operates between 55%-75%.

I had a computer with a I5-4690 collecting dust but I messed up buying parts for a 3000 series ryzen based PC and ended up with an extra mobo, ram and processor for a 2000 series ryzen based computer. The motherboard I originally bought had bios for 2000 series and wasn't compatible with the 3600mhz ram. Instead of returning it all or eating the cost, I picked up a cheap case, m.2 SSD, and power supply. I figured if this system didn't work well with BI I could use the 4690 system but so far its working well.

Here is the system: System Builder

Attachments

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
From those graphs it looks as if for remote viewing it's not encoding using the GPU. Your CPU spikes but the GPU usage is almost non existent.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm out of my element here. But my first question is, why is this Blue Iris app 'encoding' camera footage? The cameras send it a nicely encoded stream, if the only use case is to store it to disk for later viewing or live viewing, there's no reason there to encode anything. When the use shifts to add mobile clients that don't want to receive high resolution, then I can see a transcode operation being done by the server app.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm out of my element here. But my first question is, why is this Blue Iris app 'encoding' camera footage? The cameras send it a nicely encoded stream, if the only use case is to store it to disk for later viewing or live viewing, there's no reason there to encode anything. When the use shifts to add mobile clients that don't want to receive high resolution, then I can see a transcode operation being done by the server app.
Blue Iris can encode when recording with "direct to disc" disabled. There are reasons a person might want to do so, such as to include Blue Iris's overlays in the recording.

It also can re-encode when you export. Again, this is optional.

The only time encoding video is not optional is when remote viewing. Blue Iris always encodes the streams you see in a mobile app or web browser.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, So I wanted to keep everyone posted. Since I can do it and it is probably not most efficent way but I just got the 3990X today. :d will take me couple of months to get it all together need to figure out now which board I am going to go with and Case :D Plus cooler :D but its a go and soon blueiris and plex will be running on it will keep you guys posted as I progress..

IMG_8064.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, So I wanted to keep everyone posted. Since I can do it and it is probably not most efficent way but I just got the 3990X today. :d will take me couple of months to get it all together need to figure out now which board I am going to go with and Case :D Plus cooler :D but its a go and soon blueiris and plex will be running on it will keep you guys posted as I progress..

View attachment 55290
LOL. If my Ryzen 3950x tests are anything to go by, I think this is going to be the most unbalanced Blue Iris system ever.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL. If my Ryzen 3950x tests are anything to go by, I think this is going to be the most unbalanced Blue Iris system ever.
Thank You BP for your test earlier it was also helpful for me to come to this decision while it was hitting some limitation with the 3950x it was still pretty powerful. I needed something which I can run most of these functions on .. Like Blueiris, Plex openalpr .. and still have plenty of horsepower to say stream live cams on youtube and use the PC as nothing is happening LOL.

I so wanna see what this beast can do.. Cant wait to get this up and running Once again thank you @bp2008

Reaction score
You basically will have 8x8c/16t systems, but sharing memory bandwidth. So you will need to find things that are cpu intensive (OpenANPR, Folding@Home or such), because we know from @bp2008 tests Blue Iris will hit the memory cap for sure. I personally think (am totally guessing) the EPYC 7453 would be better at that price point (specifically for the Blue Iris piece), but who knows they are too damn expensive.

I am mad envious of the 3950x/3990x tho, what monsters you guys have.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree an EPYC box with 8 channel memory would probably perform better for a heavy Blue Iris workload. I expect BI to start dropping frames with the 3990x somewhere between 10 and 15% CPU usage. If that happens then other apps with more modest memory bandwidth requirements are going to suffer too. But this is really all just guessing based on my own experiments.

Wild guess, I expect the MP/s limit to be around 3000 to 3500 MP/s. Or in other words about 12 to 14 cameras all running 4K @ 30 FPS, or 24 to 28 cameras running 4K @ 15 FPS.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I am thinking to go with this Motherboard

Also thinking of getting about DDR4 256 GB ram with Intel Optan 905p

I agree an EPYC box with 8 channel memory would probably perform better for a heavy Blue Iris workload. I expect BI to start dropping frames with the 3990x somewhere between 10 and 15% CPU usage. If that happens then other apps with more modest memory bandwidth requirements are going to suffer too. But this is really all just guessing based on my own experiments.

Wild guess, I expect the MP/s limit to be around 3000 to 3500 MP/s. Or in other words about 12 to 14 cameras all running 4K @ 30 FPS, or 24 to 28 cameras running 4K @ 15 FPS.
I do think My load once I have my cameras all dialed in with the FPS I need and running full resolution will hit about 1500-1700 mps.

WIth that said I will then put open alpr on the system along side Plex as well..

Off course also want to see if for one of the camera I can try to do that webcast thru blueiris to stream to youtube... for one of the camera.