30 Cameras 24/7 Recording

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm currently running 20 cameras on HP Elite Desk intel for i7-4790 at roughly 50% CPU usage. It holds up pretty good to be honest. It runs a touch hot at 76 degrees and I reckon its because it only has the 1 stock CPU fan cooler in the entire machine.
We are about to expand now and we are going to be adding at least 10 cameras to blue iris.
And I reckon we are going to be uping the resolution on at least 5 of these cameras as well. Currently I'm recording at 1080p. I may be upping a couple of these cameras resolution but im not 100% sure yet.

Anyways, I know that this computer cannot handle what I need. Especially in the cooling department. Any recommendations hardware wise that I will need?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The next logical step up from i7-4790 is i7-8700 with 6 cores. However this is still a new enough processor that it is hard to find good deals on used systems. If you end up buying a new machine (preassembled or otherwise), I would strongly recommend i9-9900K instead because it has 8 cores and doesn't cost all that much more.

Before buying new hardware, make sure you've used all the optimizations you are willing to, from Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The next logical step up from i7-4790 is i7-8700 with 6 cores. However this is still a new enough processor that it is hard to find good deals on used systems. If you end up buying a new machine (preassembled or otherwise), I would strongly recommend i9-9900K instead because it has 8 cores and doesn't cost all that much more.

Before buying new hardware, make sure you've used all the optimizations you are willing to, from Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
I appreciate the feedback. I’ve looked into that already. I already have scaling set too fast. No text or graphic overlays. Using hardware video acceleration on every camera and I am running as a service. Camera Frame rates are at 15fps and I am also doing direct to disk recordings as well lol.. I've maxed it out lol..

I know that this isn't an exact science.. But if I increase my cameras by 33%. my CPU usage will also go up 33% and that will put me close to 80% CPU utilization. My computer temps are already at 76c.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think 80% would be too high. It doesn't leave much room for remote viewing, clip database maintenance/repairs, other windows processes (like updates), and even clip viewing (especially via the timeline where it can play more than one clip at a time). And as you said you'd like to increase some resolutions too.