2nd Amendment thread

Reaction score
Also, take bear spray. It’s oleoresin capsicum aka pepper spray but highly concentrated. Buy 2 cans and practice with the first one before you go on your trip.

I was once chased by a black bear as I was going to the out house in BC Canada where I grew up. Pepper spray allowed me to get back into the cabin.
There will definitely be Bear spray present. Looks like we will have a group of 5 to 10 or so...

Reaction score
There will definitely be Bear spray present. Looks like we will have a group of 5 to 10 or so...
The key is to practice. It's important to know how to remove the safety cap.

As a LEO, I carried pepper spray (the less concentrated version) and we were instructed to put the container upside down in our leather holder so it couldn't hit us in the face if we were in a fight. Yes, it might spray in our groin area but we would still have eyes on the assailant.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Buy 2 cans and practice with the first one before you go on your trip.
I practiced once while out hiking. Made a 1-2 second shot where we had come from, hiked a ways, and stopped to look at something. While stopped, the cloud of spray caught up with us. Pain and agony! (And lesson learned the hard way).

Reaction score
I practiced once while out hiking. Made a 1-2 second shot where we had come from, hiked a ways, and stopped to look at something. While stopped, the cloud of spray caught up with us. Pain and agony! (And lesson learned the hard way).
I've been watching some YT videos with the same scenario-- testing, but did not count on the wind doing what it did. Seems to be some amazingly nasty stuff.

Reaction score
I was on a Battalion training Operation in Alaska once (THE MOST GOD FORSAKEN LAND I HAVE EVER HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO SUFFER IN) and I had to go be one with nature. So as I was squatting, holding on to a tree and aiming for a plastic bag (yes, I said that correctly, no pooping in the wild...or face a massive fine) I smelled something that of an animal, and then I heard it: heavy breathing...panting. It was VERY CLOSE and I had nothing but my my k-bar, a M16A2 with blanks in it and shit else. I quickly concluded my business, did NOT bother to stay and look around, and made a mad dash back to my CP as fast as I could. I damn well know it wasn't a moose, and I am quite positive I was being sized up by a bear for breakfast. Screw that.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'd vote for at least a Glock 20, or a wheel gun in 44 mag as suggested. I wouldn't trust a 45 against animals bigger than human size.

Bears don't experience the F.I.B.S. factor like most humans. They will keep coming at you until they are dead or unable. Bear spray is good too from what I've read to keep them occupied so you can run away.

Reaction score
I'd vote for at least a Glock 20, or a wheel gun in 44 mag as suggested. I wouldn't trust a 45 against animals bigger than human size.

Bears don't experience the F.I.B.S. factor like most humans. They will keep coming at you until they are dead or unable. Bear spray is good too from what I've read to keep them occupied so you can run away.
LOL... I had to look up F.I.B.S.... :thumb:

My brother has a 10mm.... I've been reading a bit and found that Denmark equipped part of their military in Greenland with 10MM specifically because of Polar Bears:

Denmark Special Operations and Counterterrorist Forces – Slaedepatruljen Sirius - The Sledgepatrol Sirius (Arctic LRRP; Navy)". Special Operations.com. 2000. Archived from the original on 2011-01-13. Retrieved 2015-01-30. The weapons carried also reflect the harsh conditions. Only bolt-action rifles (M17/M53) performs reliably. The standard SIG210 Neuhausen sidearm was recently replaced by the 10mm Glock 20, as the stopping power of multiple 9mm rounds proved to be insufficient against a polar bear.
I would not like to be the guy that "proved" a 9mm to be insufficient...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I did read about a guy, big game hunter, who wanted to prove a point. He went for a grizzly with a Dan Wesson.357 first and then took an elephant with the same Dan Wesson. One shot for each of them. The circumstances in the wild, on a hike, are totally different and I'd side more to the .44 mag or 10mm, still like the .44 better. He had time to set up the shot and was waiting for the target, not vice versa, so he was successful.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
10mm will stop bears, in fact it's fast becoming a popular bear carry calibre in Alaska. Its considerably more energy than a 9mm, very similar to .357 mag but without the recoil.

Don't take a 9mm though as many do, way underpowered although there are tales of people dropping them with 9mm (there are also tales of people mauled to death with 9mm! General concensus, underpowered).

I'd also consider a 7.5fk if you can afford the gun (which can also fire 10mm through its changeable barrel if your prefer (FK PSD handgun)), or a trusty .357 or .44 mag. 7.5fk will penetrate bullet proof glass and level 3A armour and carries plenty of energy for most purposes.

However, one of the biggest factors here is practice and awareness. Practice because in that moment of a charge you can't afford to miss under panic and awareness because you don't want to let the bear get too close before you notice the charge. They often reckon you only have 2-3 seconds to drop it dead before it reaches you as bears can sprint very fast. Too close or two slow engaging it and it could be your last 2 seconds on earth. There's little point taking a .44 magnum if lack of practice means you can't hit a barn door. Also don't forget, the more powerful the handgun, the longer the time for a follow up shot. Not good considering you may miss a charging target under pressure. That's one of the reasons for the rise of 10mm in Alaska. Low recoil.

Another good bet is a shotgun with slugs but not exactly concealed carry!

I've always fancied the 7.5fk. But not possible in the land of the unfree. Also, the teddy bears don't usually charge over here.

Reaction score
I always wanted a 44, but I just can't justify the cost of one now. I also have always been curious about the 10mm...have heard good things about it. For a auto, I think it is great. I really enjoy shooting my 40 s&w and friends hate me for it. :)

44 Mag all the way..holy crap, what a lot of whoop-ass! Loved Dirty Harry by the way.....

44mag was good enough for Dirty Harry. ;)
44mag, has considerably more kinetic energy than a 10mm.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the follow up shot is dependent on what you're used to. My CCW is a .357, 2-3/4", which has a lot a recoil to most people. The Redhawk, being fairly heavy, had about the same recoil, to me anyway, and being a double action, made the follow up shot pretty easy. In that example of the tree I gave earlier, all six were out of the gun in under five seconds, timed shooting as a test. Now getting it drawn and aimed is another factor.