26 cameras and one 4TB overwriting every 5 days

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My office is supposed to retain 60 days of video. The 1280/720 ip non IR cameras are mostly set for 15 FPS with two set at 30 FPS. Motion detection on. I had to point out to the security guy that his settings were causing the data to be overwritten every 5 days. Constant bit rate is the configuration. If all but the two cashier cameras are set to 7 FPS it still seems like the 4 TB is way too small for this many cameras. No motion to record from 5:30 pm to about 6:30 am as employees start trickling in. 20 of the cameras are pointed at doors.

Any advice on FPS, variable bit rate or hard drive size would be appreciated.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
With no information on the brand or it’s capability’s,
Look at H265+ for super long recording capacity

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On Monday I'll see if the Exacqvision software will let me figure out the brand and model of the NVR. The cameras were Axxis 1.3 mb. H.265 was not an option under recording - just H.264.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
My advice would be to increase the hard drive space, not hobble the cameras recording settings to eek out more recording time. Sure, optimize settings if you can but not to the point of sacrifing quality. Always use the maximum hard drive size you can. I also think two months of recording is unrealistic for a typical office. What you describe, I'm guessing would take 32tb to hopefully squeeze out close to 30 days, which is plenty in my opinion.

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bitrate is a slider from 1-10. I think our new office is the first one to have this many cameras and four more will be added in about a month for a total of 30. I’ll see if my access card still lets me in to where the NVR is secured.