a7m221

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone
ive been struggling for a couple of days with this problem

i have 2 NVRs

1- DS-7608NI-K2/8P > physically Connected to 4 Cameras : D1 - D2 - D3 - D4

2- DS-7604NI-E1 > i Want to Connect to only Camera : D1

They are both in same network but couldn't figure how to show camera D1 on the 2nd Nvr
tried to add the 1st Nvr to the 2nd by ip and password Failed also created a user also Failed
tried to enable ONVIF and create a user also nothing showed up

Then i bought a switch and connected only camera D1 and both Nvrs to it and it succeed to show on both Nvrs but had new problem , Motion detection wont show on playback ( the green bar ) but the camera records and shows the yellow bell when motion is detected

can someone tell me how to do it step by step please im no expert i probably did something wrong

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you link a camera and an nvr, the camera sends its analytics events (ie motion) to that nvr.

Ip cameras aren't like analogue where they're just firing out a video stream that you can (depending on the strength of the video signal) connect into as many recorders as you want.
They create a 2 way link between the camera and the nvr.

You should be able to use the second recorder solely to record a video stream if you mess around with some of the custom profiles. It might work if you were to manually add a custom profile that just looked for the rtsp stream from the camera, but with onvif sometimes even then the second nvr would be trying to take control of the camera, which is where your issues are likely coming from - 2 masters trying to control one slave.

Another option would be to connect the camera directly back in to the main nvr. The nvrs themselves have rtsp streams where you can specify which channel you want to view.
You could then set up a profile on the second nvr to request the stream for that camera from the first nvr so it could record it.
The two main issues with that method is that you would be creating a constant extra load on the first nvr, which would be streaming a camera 24/7, and also that if the first nvr fails, it will stop both of them recording.

a7m221

n3wb
Reaction score
When you link a camera and an nvr, the camera sends its analytics events (ie motion) to that nvr.

Ip cameras aren't like analogue where they're just firing out a video stream that you can (depending on the strength of the video signal) connect into as many recorders as you want.
They create a 2 way link between the camera and the nvr.

You should be able to use the second recorder solely to record a video stream if you mess around with some of the custom profiles. It might work if you were to manually add a custom profile that just looked for the rtsp stream from the camera, but with onvif sometimes even then the second nvr would be trying to take control of the camera, which is where your issues are likely coming from - 2 masters trying to control one slave.

Another option would be to connect the camera directly back in to the main nvr. The nvrs themselves have rtsp streams where you can specify which channel you want to view.
You could then set up a profile on the second nvr to request the stream for that camera from the first nvr so it could record it.
The two main issues with that method is that you would be creating a constant extra load on the first nvr, which would be streaming a camera 24/7, and also that if the first nvr fails, it will stop both of them recording.

thanks for the replay

ive been trying to do the rtsp but i have no idea how
where do i add the rtsp link in the protocol or in the camera ip address ? is there a thread explain how to do it ?

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'd do it in the protocol . Create a new one and do a search for "camera model rtsp stream address" on the search engine of your choice.

Go into the camera network settings (may be under the advanced settings) and integration protocol. Make sure onvif is enabled and create a new user whose only privilege is to view live footage.
Use that user to log in to the camera from the second nvr and it might work.

There may be an easier way but it's not something I've ever wanted to do so I'm not sure.

I'm also still not convinced that motion detection will work on both, or even on one, but the aim should be to have that second nvr only recording the stream and not actually communicating with the camera in any other way (ie not trying to control settings and not receiving analytics events)

a7m221

n3wb
Reaction score
i did it finally

i connected the camera D1 to the switch with both nvr with it , created 2 user for the camera 1 for admin assigned to nvr1 and the 2nd for user2 for live view only assigned to nvr2
the camera showed on both nvr but same problem with motion before then i entered the motion setting in the first nvr and select trigger all channle and it worked !

thank you Will.I.Am