2.8mm or 4mm help me

i6jm

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. That calculator is pretty accurate in determining coverage and DORI distances. It's not perfect, but it is a very helpful tool. Of course this is a two dimensional diagram of a three dimensional space. As already discussed, how high you mount your cameras will have an effect on the type of footage you are able to capture that isn't well represented by the calculator. There is a section on the right side labeled "blind spot" and you should turn that on and enter the correct mounting height of your cameras. You might be surprised at what the camera won't capture near the camera.

What that diagram shows is that you will only be able to "identify" an unknown subject inside of your courtyard (the dark blue area). However given the height of the cameras, it will be capturing the tops of people's heads and you aren't going to get a good facial shot of anyone in your courtyard which will limit it's effectiveness. Honestly, cameras mounted at the height you are considering will not be effective for the courtyard at all due to this fact. If you want to capture footage in the courtyard, these cameras might be a good option, but they will need to be mounted 6-8' off the ground to work.

The next lighter blue band is the "recognize" distance. This means that you will likely be able to recognize a person that you already know out to about 1/2 into the street. Anything past that and you will have a hard time even recognizing someone - we call that the "observe" range. You can see people and what they are doing, but your footage isn't going to have enough detail to identity anyone.

If you need to "identify" people in the street, then you are going to need to look at cameras with a longer focal length (6mm or greater). Of course these cameras will cover less area, so you may need more cameras if you expect to cover 100% of the street.
Thank you, I now understand very well from your explanation what the word "distance" means

you said should enter the correct mounting height of your cameras,
But I did not find an option to add the height of the camera installation on the site. Do you mean to Floor plan? Because it's not free

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Be sure to select the "Show camera blind spot" checkbox as well. It is off by default. I did not click that in my screenshot and so the camera overlay is not actually showing the blindspot. :banghead:

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Focus can be fine tuned in the GUI of the camera if auto focus isn't working as well as it should be.
Actually no - the particular model the OP refers to is a disaster in the focus department. I have two of them, both exhibiting the same focus-hunting when you try to zoom them in. They work great when zoomed all the way out - but that obviously defeats the purpose of buying one of these in the first place. And there is NO option in the camera settings to stop this behaviour and go manual-focus. It will just do its own thing. Dreadful units