2.8 vs 3.6?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Every optical length serves a purpose.

The smaller the focal length, the wider the image, but the closer the object needs to be in order to IDENTIFY.

The larger the focal length, the narrower the image, but the object can be further away in order to IDENTIFY.

The 3.6mm will give a slightly more narrow field of view, but can IDENTIFY at a little further out distance than the 2.8mm.

And then we have varifocals that serve even greater distances.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think I'd like one in 20ga. Easier on my hands when using both barrels.

But I digress.

Whats the MOA (field of view) of one of these cameras in 2.8?
4MP Starlight Turret IP Camera-IPC-T2431T-AS

In general, when looking for the FOV search the data sheets of the cameras.

Once you have the FOV and resolution you can use the equation in the cliff notes to calculate the DORI ( I like 100 ppf spec vs the lessor one used by vendors .. )

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras with infrared emit a tiny red glow when looking straight at them. Once you offset a little you do not see them.

The cameras that run at 940nm IR that does not emit the glow are not readily available and are more expensive.

Unless your house is completely dark, nobody will see them. A porch light or yard light will "light pollution" the ability to see the red IR.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The IR emitters on that camera are in the visible range and appear as red LEDs. You won't see the IR light being cast out, but the emitter itself has a red glow.

I have both turret and bullet models of various Dahua cameras. I will say that the emitters on my turret cameras (there are two per camera) are very small and hardly noticeable. The emitters on the bullet cameras are larger and can be seen from the roadway and there are 4 per camera. That being said, they are still very small - the size of a single LED bulb. I see them, but I have to wonder if anyone else even notices them. I suspect not. Certainly none of my neighbors have ever ask or commented about them and we have friendly conversations quite often.

SodFather09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2 cameras for each location , 2.8mm for overview cameras , 4mm or 6mm mounted at 6 to 7 feet high for facial ID. Or better yet just get a motorized lens 2.8mm - 12mm and take the guess work out of it ;)