2.8 mm vs 3.6 mm IPC-T5442TM-AS

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Due to the excellent advice at ipcamtalk.com in my search for the right camera to cover our playground, I picked the IPC B5442E ZE bullet and purchased from Andy (Amazon) and just finished the install yesterday. Great detail with it's 4MP which is twice the MP of the previous camera and because of the great support from Andy he took care of a minor problem promptly and setup initialization and IP change so basically it was just a plug and play for me. Now that is support. So much that I'm ready to get another one from him to cover the sidewalk walkup to our office, I'm thinking of this one .... IPC-T5442TM-AS ... in 2.8mm since it doesn't appear that going up to 3.6 mm would really be an advantage. Advice? Currently we have an old Logitech Alert which isn't good enough for any kind of recognition at night, and easy enough for a vandal to just reach up and yank it off the wall. There are some dim night lights covering the sidewalk (until someone accidently turns them off) so I don't think the in-camera type that has the leds would really have any benefit. Andy mentioned going to him directly through paypal might be the easier process then going through Amazon. It might be a simpler process if I need support (which I often do) so I might try that this time. I'm not a professional and that's why I come here. Even the comments about my shabby install cabling were immensely helpful. And true.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Due to the excellent advice at ipcamtalk.com in my search for the right camera to cover our playground, I picked the IPC B5442E ZE bullet and purchased from Andy (Amazon) and just finished the install yesterday. Great detail with it's 4MP which is twice the MP of the previous camera and because of the great support from Andy he took care of a minor problem promptly and setup initialization and IP change so basically it was just a plug and play for me. Now that is support. So much that I'm ready to get another one from him to cover the sidewalk walkup to our office, I'm thinking of this one .... IPC-T5442TM-AS ... in 2.8mm since it doesn't appear that going up to 3.6 mm would really be an advantage. Advice? Currently we have an old Logitech Alert which isn't good enough for any kind of recognition at night, and easy enough for a vandal to just reach up and yank it off the wall. There are some dim night lights covering the sidewalk (until someone accidently turns them off) so I don't think the in-camera type that has the leds would really have any benefit. Andy mentioned going to him directly through paypal might be the easier process then going through Amazon. It might be a simpler process if I need support (which I often do) so I might try that this time. I'm not a professional and that's why I come here. Even the comments about my shabby install cabling were immensely helpful. And true.
Hi @jlindblo

How close do you want to ID someone from this camera?

I only like 2.8mm lens cameras when the subject will be closer to the camera.

I've recently made some DORI calculations based on the 4MP 5442 with a 3.6mm lens .. here: You guys agree with this guy?

( you can also see the DORI section of the cliff notes .. which I hope to update soon .. )

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They will actually walk through the front door and the camera will be just above their heads above the door. The sidewalk is 10 - 15 yards long. Past that is lawn another 25 yds to a street that runs perpendicular. I may have to mask off the street to avoid tripping the camera.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It seems this camera might work just as well ... and at considerably less price??? IPC-T2431T-AS – 3.6mm
This camera is a 4MP sensor on a 1/3" sensor, so it will need a lot more light at night than the 5442 series camera.

If you are looking to save cost, you would be better off with a 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor which will kick the 4MP on the 1/3 sensor all night long (provided they still sell a 2MP 3.6mm).

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks wittaj. Here is a screenshot I just took showing the "approx" amount of light available at night. I'm still learning but I will check to see if Andy has that particular camera and then compare all three.

Screenshot 2021-09-25 20.12.46.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
About $135, 2MP with great night vision -

3241T-ZAS Review

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks wittaj. Here is a screenshot I just took showing the "approx" amount of light available at night. I'm still learning but I will check to see if Andy has that particular camera and then compare all three.
Based on that I would think you would need a better sensor. I am sure that camera is on default/auto settings? If you told me that was a 1/250 shutter then I would say you may be able to get by with a 4MP on 1/3 sensor. But I bet if you changed that shutter to 1/250 it will be a fairly black image.

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So much to learn, so little time. But I'm on it!

jlindblo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
About $135, 2MP with great night vision -

3241T-ZAS Review
Thanks ... after reading that review and watching the videos I ordered that one. I was a little hesitant about 2 MP but I think this will be the correct camera. Most targets will be coming up the sidewalk and through the office door in broad daylight and those are my primary targets. Night targets could be important too, but less so then the day targets. And by off setting the camera a bit to one side I can probably see the mailbox on the edge of the road where we have had packages that were laid on top of the mailbox stolen. And the varifocal will let me select the perfect coverage. Thanks much ... I appreciate.