2.5 drive recommendation?

Jakc

n3wb
Reaction score
I have three 4MP cameras. And been gifted a tall Intel NUC - nuc8i5beh, with a 500GB m.5 and 8GB of ram

I intend on setting this up primarily for Blue Iris, fairly basic workflows and will follow cliff notes for optimising. Might add on home assistant and plex via docker if cpu has wiggle room.

Limited to a 2.5 Bay for an additional drive and was wondering if anyone could give me some hdd recommendations?

A 7200rpm WD or Seagate drive that’s less than 10mm in height?

The hard drive calc says that will only need 500gb for a 3 days and my cameras, so thinking 1TB drive should do it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Even with the use of sub streams a NUC may not work out well for Blue Iris. The processors in a NUC are usually "laptop" style processors which are designed to throttle the CPU as it heats up, cooling is a problem. This can lead to Blue Iris choking as the CPU slows down.

I know of no 2.5" drives that are designed for video surveillance use. Most installations record 24/7 which means the drive is written to constantly. SSD drives, the typical 2.5" drive today, are not as durable as a platter drive, especially a surveillance rated drive. Their lifespan is based on write operations and video never stops writing. This can shorten their useful life, in terms of time significantly.

Your could use a laptop 2.5" platter drive but, again, lifespan may not be as expected. That also assumes the NUC doesn't choke with the load of video processing.

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is only one AV rated drive that I am aware of that is even available, the WD AV-25 WD10JUCT. It is a 1TB drive. It is an older drive and will not give you the performance of an optimized current drive such as the WD Purple series.

Jakc

n3wb
Reaction score
There is only one AV rated drive that I am aware of that is even available, the WD AV-25 WD10JUCT.
Thanks for that, didn’t spot that one in my searches. Description suggests is can handle 4 cameras always on. I was hoping there might be a recent Purple version in a 2.5 size.

Points notes about the NUC. Have been hunting for a SFF Optiplex or HP Elitedesk but this NUC was gifted and seems like I should at least give it a go? If it struggles, will use it as a home lab and continue search for another dedicated box

Jakc

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m getting multiple recommendations over on Reddit to avoid hdd altogether. And that ssd reliability for continuous read write is now ok. Need to see if I can find any benchmarks for tests for rhatX