1U or 2U rackmount build for 64 camera system?

superfake123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone help me put together a system that can handle 64 cameras?

superfake123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
either hikvision 3MP or a dahua 3MP... something in that price range.. is there a build I can do that would be similar to like, 2x 4790K or something?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
either hikvision 3MP or a dahua 3MP... something in that price range
If you plan on running 64x3mp cameras then blue iris is not the solution for you..it would require way to much processing power...look at milestone, exacq or just using ivms if you go hikvision or pss if you go with dahua..

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can get a multiple socket motherboard, some manufacturers like Supermicro support up to 4 CPU. A local vendor has the the dual socket version on their site to give you a reference.

It will cost you a serious chunk of cash to build one of these though.

http://www.apaqdigital.com/main/home/S2011_DP.htm

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m.../X10DRH-CT.cfm

I have considered one of these, the CPU is over $1k each and the mobo is about $700. Add in memory and you are well over $3k. Then you need to add drives, and a chassis. It would handle just about anything you could throw at it though.

If money is not an option, then this would surely do the trick ;-). Expect to spend well over $15k for one of them fully configured though.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...600/X10QBI.cfm

But like mentioned by fenderman above, BI is not the way to go with that many 3MP cameras.

rhance

n3wb
Reaction score
@superfake123 I bought a system for a very similar setup. I decided to purchase one instead of building it but hopefully this info will help. Currently running 32 cams @ 1080p w/ d2d to a separate 6tb raid from boot. CPU usage with 2 users logged in on web browser is between 12-17%. It is a dell 720xd with 2 xeon e5-2630 v2 and 32GB ram(ram usage is around 3gb). We have plans to add more cameras and it seems this beast will be able to handle it. Bought on the dell outlet for around 4K$

Last edited by a moderator:

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@superfake123 I bought a system for a very similar setup. I decided to purchase one instead of building it but hopefully this info will help. Currently running 32 cams @ 1080p w/ d2d to a separate 6tb raid from boot. CPU usage with 2 users logged in on web browser is between 12-17%. It is a dell 720xd with 2 xeon e5-2630 v2 and 32GB ram(ram usage is around 3gb). We have plans to add more cameras and it seems this beast will be able to handle it. Bought on the dell outlet for around 4K$
Awesome rig! How many watts does it consume?

I'm running about 35 - 40 megapixels of mixed cameras on a i7-4790k and CPU usage is around 18% and consumes 70 watts but I still need to change some camera settings and hopefully improve those numbers a bit.