$199 for IPVM Calculator(not going to happen)- Any Alternatives ?

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Now that - IPVM Calculator is $199 year - is there an alternative ?
I remember reading here about how to do it....
I did a Search but might just be putting in the wrong wording.

Any input would be great.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try Vivotek Design Tool, its based on JVSG and free

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Now that - IPVM Calculator is $199 year - is there an alternative ?
I remember reading here about how to do it....
I did a Search but might just be putting in the wrong wording.

Any input would be great.
And I wouldnt give that crowd a penny myself

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
There's also the Axis design tool, which is free - AXIS Site Designer 2

Our (IPVM) position is that it's the easiest to use, with Google Maps instantly embedded, over 10,000 models from over 100 brands, etc. There are over 50,000 cameras added / calculated each month from people all over the world who pay.

There was a long discussion about this on IPCamTalk for others interested - IPVM Releases Phone Version of Calculator

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I looked at that thread....you now have a no (Zero) little guy option....Pushed me right out of even having a chance to use your product.
I would have gone for a 1 address usage for $20. But that is for your other thread..........

Reaction score
And I wouldnt give that crowd a penny myself
I purchased the $199 subscription thinking it would be a reasonable deal in return for access to different camera and equipment reviews, and then got the rug pulled out from under me when all the interesting technical material got pushed behind their $2,000 per year subscription tier. So basically I wound up paying $199 for what turned into (for lack of a better description) a gossip column. I let my subscription expire and haven't missed it for a second.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
I wound up paying $199
Every week, we do profiles on companies, interviews with executives, industry news reports no one else does, etc. that is included in that $199 annual price (see recent reports listed).

This may very well not have any value for you but it does for many others.

As for the unique tests and rankings, last year, we changed our model so that people pay a premium for the much more costly work involved in that. For micro businesses, the price starts at $480 a year including one's pick of any 10 research / test reports.

This too may not have value for you but it does for others.

A common theme on this site is that companies should do more work so you all can pay less money. And that's perfectly reasonable to ask but it's also reasonable for us to charge a price that helps us cover the costs of the unique work we do. If other companies, like Axis who wants to promote the sale of their cameras, provide design software for free, that's fair and why I've recommended this as an alternative to IPVM's software.

Reaction score
Every week, we do profiles on companies, interviews with executives, industry news reports no one else does, etc. that is included in that $199 annual price (see recent reports listed).

This may very well not have any value for you but it does for many others.

As for the unique tests and rankings, last year, we changed our model so that people pay a premium for the much more costly work involved in that. For micro businesses, the price starts at $480 a year including one's pick of any 10 research / test reports.

This too may not have value for you but it does for others.

A common theme on this site is that companies should do more work so you all can pay less money. And that's perfectly reasonable to ask but it's also reasonable for us to charge a price that helps us cover the costs of the unique work we do. If other companies, like Axis who wants to promote the sale of their cameras, provide design software for free, that's fair and why I've recommended this as an alternative to IPVM's software.
John, your company certainly has the right to charge whatever they feel is appropriate for their services. My complaint (which I pointed out in the feedback survey when I declined renewal) was the "bait and switch" of having the resources that I thought I was paying for change after I subscribed. What remained was of very little value to me. You can only read so many gossipy news stories about various camera manufacturers before they begin to pall. As for the IPVM calculator, my need for that did not justify my continued payment.

I am not someone who expects everything for next to nothing. I believe in paying companies appropriately for their products, just as I expect the same for my own professional services. But the thing I thought I was paying for when I subscribed to IPVM was not the thing I would up receiving after the Info+ and Research tiers were suddenly announced.

jdvhunt

n3wb
Reaction score
There's also the Axis design tool, which is free - AXIS Site Designer 2

Our (IPVM) position is that it's the easiest to use, with Google Maps instantly embedded, over 10,000 models from over 100 brands, etc. There are over 50,000 cameras added / calculated each month from people all over the world who pay.

There was a long discussion about this on IPCamTalk for others interested - IPVM Releases Phone Version of Calculator
I created an account to say this. You guys need a monthly payment option. I would be happy to pay $30-$40, have access for 30 days then can the subscription and yoyo between active and inactive rather than pay $300 (AUD) a year, even with the refund period. You guys are shooting yourself in the feet, this would have been a slam dunk purchase for me. You really need to adjust your pricing model you're just burning money