$190 Budget advice. Wide angle, very dark.

matt1309

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looking for some advice/opinions on a camera for a wide driveway out in the country (very dark). Looking to avoid colour night vision (the light is jarring when there's no street lights at all), so prefer IR (ideally > 100ft). It's a relatively long/wide driveway.
Previously had a wide angle 8MP amcrest with 165ft IR and it worked well until it suddenly stopped, (we think some sort of issue with a power cut/UPS not working).

I'd given up on matching that IR distance at my price point as i struggled to find any. I was about to pull the trigger on

Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU after deciding on this over the Hikvision DS-2CD2383G2-IU (2.8mm on both).

However did some more reading and stumbled upon a post on here highlighting the lesser effectiveness of high MP at night. I changed my search to 4MP cameras but then found the sensors to be smaller which I'd also heard was not ideal, with 1/1.6 4mp being noted as good choice whereas I was just seeing 1/3 on my searches

Any suggestions on where I can look in this pricepoint for what I'm after or is the hikvision as good as I'll get it/compromise on the IR distance?

matt1309

n3wb
Reaction score
The second one looks near exactly what I'm looking for.
IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE.

I dont suppose you know of any UK distributors/other brand names dahua is sold under in the UK/EU. Struggling to find somewhere that will sell it to me without a trade account.

matt1309

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, I'll drop them a message. Can't find it anywhere else to be honest.

So frustrating when everywhere requires trade accounts

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, on Amazon, it says that the B5442E-ZE bullet uses 12v and 3 watts. Something is off here. I've looked but I can't find it. How many watts max does this thing take?

Reaction score
UK distributors
Not Dahua but when you register for an account on rfcomponents.co.uk, (free, open to anyone), you can see prices of Hikvision cams. I've found it useful to do price comparisons, when I started, I didn't know if xyz cam was £150 or £450.