18tb drive not showing up in disk management

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all

I pulled a working 4tb drive out and replaced it with an 18tb WD purple pro last night and no matter what I did it wouldn't show up in disk management in Windows 10. It does show up in the bios.

I tried updating everything and even flashing the bios and still no dice.

I'm going to try it in another computer but I'm wondering if this is a known issue or some kind of hardware limitation where even though it's shown in the bios windows can't actually use it.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If greater than 16TB it would need to be formatted GPT, not MBR.

EaseUS Partition Manager can help with that process ==>> here
Shouldn't it still show up under disk management though?

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does it show using diskpart?
Was this a new drive or has it been used before now?

I didn't try diskpart only windows disk management. Unfortunately I couldn't remember diskpart...

As stupid as it sounds at the time I was getting tired and I knew there was a new command prompt based program but all I could remember was fdisk and I knew it wasn't that so I gave up and put the old drive back in. I needed the system running as we were leaving.

The drive was new right out of the sealed antistatic bag. I'm going to try the disk on another computer when I get time. Unless you think there's a good chance diskpart will see it and be able to partition it?

I've had it where disk management wouldn't do anything with a disk and I needed diskpart to delete an old partition but disk management still showed the drive and info.

Last edited:

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well

The plot thickens.

I plugged a flashdrive into the computer to save my blue iris configuration and found out it wouldn't install drivers for any flashdrive or external hard drive I have. Every one of them gave a error 28 I think? Windows would act like it was installing the driver and then would say it was ready to use but device manager showed a different story.

I gave up and emailed the config to the new computer.

I'm thinking of just reinstalling windows on the older machine because I'm at a loss. I'm hoping the kids can get some use our if it. Unless it's got some strange issue.

Also found out the WD purple 4TB in it has an excessive amount of reallocated sectors. Over 1000 I believe. No idea if it's growing or how fast. It's funny.... The drive's warranty ended 2 months ago. I guess I ignore my camera system too much.