180 degree camera reccomendations

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need reccomendations on a 180 degree POE outdoor 4k security camera. And not a fish eye.

The purpose is just to be an overview camera. There will other specific cameras in the area for face and plate recognition.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking any lens shaped to see 180 is a fish eye.
112 -108 degree camera's are typical in 2.8mm "wide angle" camera's on Amazon in a quick search.
Maybe use two overview cams if you want a flatter more precise image?

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm thinking any lens shaped to see 180 is a fish eye.
Hmm, I didnt know that. But it makes sense why Im having such a difficult time finding the right camera.

Maybe use two overview cams if you want a flatter more precise image?
I have considered this, but I really would prefer to just have 1 camera. Also I have seen a camera on amazon. It has 2 lens and puts the pictures together into one feed. Its very expensive though. And I really dont know if it would be any good.

Thank you

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a look at this one -

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have a look at this one -

I will consider this one if I cant find any others. It looks like this one has 110 degree FOV.

Thank you

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember, that's two cameras with a 110 degree FOV for a total of 220,minus any overlap you may set up.

Reaction score
Not cheap, but I have the Dahua IPC-PFW8802-A180 and its a solid overview camera but chunky! I like the clear image, the camera covers 180 degrees by stitching 4x2MP images together automatically for you. Although it looks very good, PPF isn’t any better than the smaller lens cameras. I believe Identify range is only 17ft and it was also special order.

I previously had a Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS at that location but the 3.6mm version is good for only 87 degrees. I have a dual lens IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M as overview at another property (I think its the 3.6mm 2.8mm version overlapping at the walkway) and it’s a good cheap compromise but you don’t have good ppf past maybe 20 ft.

I can share an image to compare the single lens and multi-lens from the same install location if you’d like a comparison. I went the multi-sensor route just to keep a low profile with the HOA, and the wife expressed concern having many cameras on the front of the house and “looking like a prison”. You can kind of gauge identify capability by checking the license plates and house number across the street are unreadable. However, I do get an complete overview of everything happening 150 feet in every direction, it just isn't useful for ID purposes so you will need more cameras zoomed into areas of interest.

Dahua IPC-PFW8802-A180
IPC-PFW8802-A180.jpg

Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS.jpg

IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M (2.8mm!)
HDBW4231F-E2-M-LEFT.jpgHDBW4231F-E2-M-RIGHT.jpg

Last edited:

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not cheap, but I have the Dahua IPC-PFW8802-A180 and its a solid overview camera but chunky! I like the clear image, the camera covers 180 degrees by stitching 4x2MP images together automatically for you. Although it looks very good, PPF isn’t any better than the smaller lens cameras. I believe Identify range is only 17ft and it was also special order.

I previously had a Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS at that location but the 3.6mm version is good for only 87 degrees. I have a dual lens IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M as overview at another property (I think its the 3.6mm 2.8mm version overlapping at the walkway) and it’s a good cheap compromise but you don’t have good ppf past maybe 20 ft.

I can share an image to compare the single lens and multi-lens from the same install location if you’d like a comparison. I went the multi-sensor route just to keep a low profile with the HOA, and the wife expressed concern having many cameras on the front of the house and “looking like a prison”. You can kind of gauge identify capability by checking the license plates and house number across the street are unreadable. However, I do get an complete overview of everything happening 150 feet in every direction, it just isn't useful for ID purposes so you will need more cameras zoomed into areas of interest.

Dahua IPC-PFW8802-A180
View attachment 81640
Wow man, that Dahua IPC-PFW8802-A180 looks great. Its more towards what I am looking for. Thank you. When you add it into NVR. Is it just 1 camera feed? Im assuming, but want to clarify.

I just noticed the 8MP version on the dahua site. Very nice!
IPC-PF83230-A180

Can you reccomend a reputable place to buy these cams?

Also it looks very cold there. BRRRR

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow man, that Dahua IPC-PFW8802-A180 looks great. Its more towards what I am looking for. Thank you. When you add it into NVR. Is it just 1 camera feed? Im assuming, but want to clarify.
Just one combined Main stream (the image is stitched together at the camera), although the camera also has substream available.

I just noticed the 8MP version on the dahua site. Very nice!
IPC-PF83230-A180
I purchased the IPC-PFW8802-A180 version. Technically, mine is 4 separate 2MP streams. Each 2MP imager appears to be rotated 90 degrees. Stitched image is 4096x1800 total resolution but low light performance is more like 2MP starlights and about twice as good as IPC-PF83230-A180. I think you will get much noisier night time video, plus consume many times more disk space running the IPC-PF83230-A180. but if your primary concern is daytime, yeah that would look amazing. The multi-imager cameras are also PoE+(802.3at)(Class 4) so be aware standard low power POE won't power them up. Thanks to some good early advice on these forums I have all POE+ switches but you could also just add a POE+ injector for this camera.

Can you reccomend a reputable place to buy these cams?
@EMPIRETECANDY Andy is the local trusted Dahua supplier. This camera was special order so it took a few weeks to arrive (delayed further by COVID issues in Asia).
When he has stock, you will get crazy fast service from Andy. I just ordered a different camera from stock Jan 22, shipped Jan 25, arrived Jan 27 (Hong Kong to Colorado,US in 2 days so).

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just one combined Main stream (the image is stitched together at the camera), although the camera also has substream available.

I purchased the IPC-PFW8802-A180 version. Technically, mine is 4 separate 2MP streams. Each 2MP imager appears to be rotated 90 degrees. Stitched image is 4096x1800 total resolution but low light performance is more like 2MP starlights and about twice as good as IPC-PF83230-A180. I think you will get much noisier night time video, plus consume many times more disk space running the IPC-PF83230-A180. but if your primary concern is daytime, yeah that would look amazing. The multi-imager cameras are also PoE+(802.3at)(Class 4) so be aware standard low power POE won't power them up. Thanks to some good early advice on these forums I have all POE+ switches but you could also just add a POE+ injector for this camera.

@EMPIRETECANDY Andy is the local trusted Dahua supplier. This camera was special order so it took a few weeks to arrive (delayed further by COVID issues in Asia).
When he has stock, you will get crazy fast service from Andy. I just ordered a different camera from stock Jan 22, shipped Jan 25, arrived Jan 27 (Hong Kong to Colorado,US in 2 days so).
I have a POE++ switch so I should be good on watts. Main concern is just an overview camera day/night.

Thanks for the info

Reaction score
Cool, the PANO I have draws 16-17 watts typically and peaks around 25w. So as long as you have the power budget for it on your POE+ switch should be good to go.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice cam @crw030. I'm not sure I've seen a snapshot from one of those before. I can't find a flaw in the stitching, not even a contrast difference between the sensors. That is a beautiful picture. Edit: oh wait, there is a visible seam at the front of the red car across the street, center of the frame. The front of the car is a bit doubled where the camera is blending two images together.

But I don't think I would buy one myself, not when the asking price is $1000+. I have a 4MP Dahua fisheye that I paid only $100 for several years ago. Sadly that model is no longer available, but there are still passable options for under $200.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
But I don't think I would buy one myself, not when the asking price is $1000+.
Probably some higher end one runs that much but this one was only $640 from Andy. But yeah, I understand your point, like I said it's not a big improvement over something like a IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M (2.8mm) but I was concerned about the longevity of the domes in that install location.
I'm happy with it as an overview camera, and it's right at the edge of what the wife thinks looks OK. The stitching is pretty good, there is some way to configure it but I didn't play around (didn't want to mess it up because it's pretty good). When I had it setup inside in a mechanical room for testing the EPYC build, some pipes or cables near the lens would cross into one image view and then disappear in the next.. weird stuff like that you wouldn't get with a single sensor.

If I happen to be watching the feed when it switches day to night, you can see where each image ends because they change one by one left to right about 1 second apart.