yet another request for suggestions - hikevision or ..?

edstevens

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I realize most people start here asking pretty much the same - a suggestion for their use case. Here's mine.

Am trying to research an NVR and camera system for home surveillance. Home is a 1-story ranch, 1600 sq ft. with large covered front and back porches. I’m thinking a camera on each porch, one interior, and possibly one on the driveway. The floor plan is such that a single interior camera on a bookshelf in the living room would cover the living room and hallway to the bedrooms. The only room that wouldn't have any coverage would be the kitchen.

What I’ve really been going back and forth on is the NVR. Based on what I’ve read here and on a couple of similar forums, I keep coming back to the Hikvision 7604 or perhaps the 7108 Seems to be pretty solid, but I don’t know if I’m missing something critical or overlooking a better alternative. I’m also looking at a couple of offerings from securitycameraking.com. I’m a bit attracted to them because they appear to be a US firm building their own product, not a Chinese firm, with the support implications that entails. But maybe that’s a mis-placed phobia. It could also be that they appear to be more of a ‘custom’ shop and support and continuity might be an issue.

Based on my reading so far, here are my expectations, or “wish list”
- Minimum 4 POE ports, would consider 8 if the price is right.
- Minimum 1 Tb storage.
- Ability to offload captured footage to my laptop or a USB connected hard drive.
Nice to have:

• Ability to ftp footage, especially on motion detected alert
  • Ability to record to the NVR and to another network attached drive at the same time (thinking that if a burglar stole or disabled the NVR, images would also already be on another drive. )

So based on all of the above, I’m all ears for comments, suggestions, warnings, etc.

Optik

n3wb
Reaction score
Used Foscam for 4 years. Bought a Hikvision 7608NI/I2 with 2 cameras to start with. Glad i did. All Foscam are now given away to friends. Will buy 3 more cameras later to complete the setup. Love solving issues with settings, because no matter how long i spend researching, everything was possible to setup! Anything was possible!

edstevens

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, you like your setup. Do either of the models I mention address the specific questions I mention?

Optik

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, you like your setup. Do either of the models I mention address the specific questions I mention?
well, no they do not. but if you are looking to engage all 4 poe, get 8. bandwidth will satisfy 4 x4mp cameras. if you go for 4 ports it might not. price difference is not so great. i have now upgraded to 7716ni i4. bandwidth was not good enogh on 7608 for my 6 cams ...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

neal

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased the same equipment. Having a great deal of trouble setting it up. after two weeks I have one camera that works and can not view on cell. What am I missing. Could use help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased the same equipment. Having a great deal of trouble setting it up. after two weeks I have one camera that works and can not view on cell. What am I missing. Could use help
Welcome to the forum, you will have to provide MUCH more detail for anyone to help you.

jesseallen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision offers the most features for their costs. Your vendor/installer can be of help to make a good decision with the choice of camera model but I'll suggest you to stick with Hikvision cameras (and NVR/DVR).

neal

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, you will have to provide MUCH more detail for anyone to help you.
I have Hikvision DS-7608NI NVR, IR mini Bullet-DS-2CD2042WD and IR Fixed Dome DS-2CD2142 FWD-I. The IP address for the DVR is 192.162.1.80, the DVR or router set my cameras to IP 192-168.254.2 through 192.168.254.10. The NVR does not locate cameras, no video and not connected to LAN. My router can see NVR only. So I am unable to run SADP tool or iVMPS-4200 to sedt new IP's, suspect the camera IP does not match what the NVR has. How tho see and change camera IP to match NVR?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Hikvision DS-7608NI NVR, IR mini Bullet-DS-2CD2042WD and IR Fixed Dome DS-2CD2142 FWD-I. The IP address for the DVR is 192.162.1.80, the DVR or router set my cameras to IP 192-168.254.2 through 192.168.254.10. The NVR does not locate cameras, no video and not connected to LAN. My router can see NVR only. So I am unable to run SADP tool or iVMPS-4200 to sedt new IP's, suspect the camera IP does not match what the NVR has. How tho see and change camera IP to match NVR?
your router will always only see the NVR. The nvr will always set a new subnet. Thats how they work. Use the virtual host function in the NVR to access camera settings or https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/115-Hitting-cameras-web-pages-with-a-laptop-in-an-NVR-with-POE

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey @neal, exactly what Fenderman said. SADP will only see the NVR and will not see the cameras if they are plugged into the POE ports on the NVR unless you use the "Laptop Method". However, if your cameras are plugged into the POE ports on the NVR and still aren't showing up there may be a few things wrong/few things to fix:

1. You don't have a 'secure' password on your NVR. If your NVR doesn't have a password that's at least 8 characters and contain at least one letter and one number or special character then the cameras will not activate when they are plugged into the back of the NVR.

2. When you plug the cameras into the back of the NVR the cameras need to either be fresh out of the box or defaulted before they are plugged in. To save you a ton of time default your cameras before plugging them into the back of the NVR.

3. The IP addresses you're getting on the cameras are correct, they should be different than what your NVR is set to. I highly suggest leaving the NVRs internal switch IP at its default of 192.168.254.1.

4. If you've checked everything above and still are unable to get the cameras to show I would:

-Unplug all the cameras from the NVR.
-Default the NVR to factory defaults.
-Default the cameras using a separate power supply or POE switch/injector.
-Once everything is defaulted plug one camera into the NVR and wait at least 3 minutes for it to show on the screen.
-Once that camera shows up, plug the other one in, once the second cam shows up plug another in, continue as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

neal

n3wb
Reaction score
I will read through and digest these post, first read sounds like a fix for my problems and misunderstanding. I new at hands on, have only read post and articles. I'll keep you posted

Thanks Neal

neal

n3wb
Reaction score
Followed you instructions, got everything running. have both cameras on nvr and can see them live on android using iVMS4500. Thanks

One thing though both cameras are camera no 1.