Wyze Cam3 Rtsp with Blue Iris

atrain99

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello , I have Blue Iris up and running and had to add a few Wyze cam 3’s that have rtsp on them . I’ve added the Wyze cam 3’s to BI but am experiencing several no signals on them and was wondering if anyone could help with optimal / proper settings in BI so they will be more stable. I have them added to the Wyze App and they are stable. I know they (Wyze Cam 3) aren’t the preferred way to go. For instance I have one in my yard that I setup inside my home and then brought it out to my yard - Was I suppose to set it up where I’m going to keep it so it connects to my internet in that particular spot ? I have a mesh network which covers my entire house and yard . All my non Wyze cams in BI work fine. Thanks for any help for a novice !

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's kind of typical with them. Several things can be going on. They don't like being isolated from the Internet. If you have them blocked then they'll reset and retry every few minutes. Their WiFi isn't very good so if the signal is marginal they'll drop a lot. You won't see it in the app as much but BI is more sensitive to any brief loss of signal and will give the error and then doesn't recover as quickly so you'll get the lost signal screen. If you watch the time closely in the app you'll likely see it stop briefly.

Which RTSP hack did you use? The mini-hacks is probably the best. You can do self-hosted mode in that to get rid of the drops attempting to reach out. Or just let them out. Getting better signal is the only thing that will help with the connection issues. Or again using the mini-hacks you can get one of the Ethernet-USB adapters and run them wired.

atrain99

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the great information ! So based on what I’ve seen they drop and reset - I have AVG running on my BI pc I’m wondering if that is causing an issue or would I need to port forward them on my router ? Just not sure how to unblock them - Thanks again

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't need to port forward anything and AVG shouldn't affect it. As long as you didn't specifically block them and they have a way out to the Internet, then that part should be OK. One way that you may be able to tell is that will happen on a regular basis about every 3-5 minutes. If it's more random, then more likely signal related. As I said, you won't see signal drops in the app as much. If it's brief, then it just continues on like nothing happened. When it's doing it, pull up the app and watch the time. You'll likely see it stall for a couple of seconds. On the other hand, that's enough for BI to balk and throw the errors.

Could be other flakiness but those are the two most common reasons for drops.

atrain99

n3wb
Reaction score
You don't need to port forward anything and AVG shouldn't affect it. As long as you didn't specifically block them and they have a way out to the Internet, then that part should be OK. One way that you may be able to tell is that will happen on a regular basis about every 3-5 minutes. If it's more random, then more likely signal related. As I said, you won't see signal drops in the app as much. If it's brief, then it just continues on like nothing happened. When it's doing it, pull up the app and watch the time. You'll likely see it stall for a couple of seconds. On the other hand, that's enough for BI to balk and throw the errors.

Could be other flakiness but those are the two most common reasons for drops.
I just noticed that my ports for the Wyze cams was 1935 and I changed it to 8999. That seemed to make three of them more stable but who knows but the fourth has 220 signal drops and that’s gotta be a signal degradation ! Is there any specific settings in BI I should have ticked /unticked for the individual wyze cams ?

One last question:
I have blue iris running on my c drive and I have a second internal ssd I use for BI as well. Which drives should I use to have : stored , new and alerts footage stored on ? Im running Deep stack as well.

Thanks again

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not that I can think of related to dropping. For the cam under Video > Configure check Skip initial MAC... but that's not specific to dropping or the Wyze. Don't need hardware decode but again not specific to the Wyze.

Not sure what controls you have with your WiFi but might try forcing the cam to attach to a single AP, only to a separately named 2.4 SSID, etc. Try going in and setting up the WiFi on the problem cam again to attach to whatever AP. That seems to help mine sometimes and you can do it without having to change all of the rest of the set-up within.

Usually you'd put BI itself and the database on your fastest drive, video/image files on a larger storage drive.

atrain99

n3wb
Reaction score
Not that I can think of related to dropping. For the cam under Video > Configure check Skip initial MAC... but that's not specific to dropping or the Wyze. Don't need hardware decode but again not specific to the Wyze.

Not sure what controls you have with your WiFi but might try forcing the cam to attach to a single AP, only to a separately named 2.4 SSID, etc. Try going in and setting up the WiFi on the problem cam again to attach to whatever AP. That seems to help mine sometimes and you can do it without having to change all of the rest of the set-up within.

Usually you'd put BI itself and the database on your fastest drive, video/image files on a larger storage drive.
Thanks very much for your help Sir !

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 3 non-critical pet cams (IP2M-841's) on Wi-Fi, had frequent interruptions until I went to a dedicated wireless AP just for those cams and nothing else; runs days now then might show a short reconnect that lasts 10-15 seconds, tolerable IMO for a non-critical cam.

Most newer wireless routers have an AP function but if not just disable its DHCP server, assign it a unique static IP in the same subnet as your LAN's "working" router but outside of that "working" router's DHCP pool, connect a LAN port of the AP to a LAN port of the "working" router.

atrain99

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 non-critical pet cams (IP2M-841's) on Wi-Fi, had frequent interruptions until I went to a dedicated wireless AP just for those cams and nothing else; runs days now then might show a short reconnect that lasts 10-15 seconds, tolerable IMO for a non-critical cam.

Most newer wireless routers have an AP function but if not just disable its DHCP server, assign it a unique static IP in the same subnet as your LAN's "working" router but outside of that "working" router's DHCP pool, connect a LAN port of the AP to a LAN port of the "working" router.
Thanks a lot and will try that !