Wonder if this could work with cameras?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
id love to get my hands on one to play with :)

the problem with using something like that for PTZ control is the constant motion, imagine how many rotations tha'll make in a year running 24/7/365.. cars/drones/robots have batteries and limited run times.

maybe if you paired it up with a standard motion sensor, triggered that to fire up this and use this to track where people are... but for that money id rather just get a 2.8mm wide angle camera mounted up high with an overview of everything and use something like facial detection to command the PTZ where to look... no moving parts, well other than the PTZ.

but I could make a sweet drone with obstacle avoidance with one of those puppies..

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The price isn't too prohibitive and if you read the description one of the intended uses is to create a barrier for peneratration detection. I'm assuming it's built to take the rotations. Plus in a non moving application I'm sure the rpms required to maintain full cover aren't that high.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
still at 100% duty cycle, thanks to friction all moving contraptions will fail sooner or later, sooner if they are in constant motion... plus how do you propose I get it to survive a single winter here outdoors? I bet snow would really fuck that thing up... cost is definitely reasonable, but there are better things for security duty at roughly the same cost or better.. this is going to be mounted between 3-4ft high, none of my cameras sit there.. any higher and people will walk under the lidar, any lower and you'll get pets/critters.

Ive got my eye on one of these to mount on the back of my house: http://www.amazon.com/Optex-BX-80N-BoudaryGard-Perimeter-Detector/dp/B001UKSAJ2

the location I am wanting to put it would have basically every point of entry on the back of my house covered by a single sensor, and that'll play a buzzer if anything triggers it while security system is armed.. it can tell my PTZ to look at the back side of the house and with my fixed camera at the other end I'll have views from both sides.. and unlike the window contact switches, this will let me know if someone is there.. and not already half way inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr don't discount the cool factor of telling peeps you have your own radar system lol. That pir looks good. Can in be hooked directly to the alarm i/o of a camera?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah it should, as long as you break out 12v to power the PiR.. Ive another optex motion sensor on the side of the house for my big black face ptz and it works very well plugged right into the PTZ.