Wish my state did this - Private Security Camera System Incentive Program (Washington DC) $200/cam rebate

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Private Security Camera System Incentive Program

The Private Security Camera Incentive Program, administered by the Office of Victim Services and Justice Grants, encourages residents, businesses, non-profits and religious institutions to install security camera systems on their property and register them with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). This program is intended to help deter crime and assist law enforcement with investigations.

There are two ways to participate:

The Private Security Camera Rebate Program creates a rebate for residents, businesses, nonprofits, and religious institutions to purchase and install security camera systems on their property and register them with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). The program provides a rebate of up to $200 per camera, with a maximum rebate of up to $500 per residential address (e.g., home offices, condo buildings, and apartments) and $750 for all other eligible addresses. The rebate is exclusively for the cost of the camera(s) including any applicable tax.

The Private Security Camera Voucher Program provides a private security camera system to eligible residents free of charge. District residents—either owners or tenants—who receive public assistance may be eligible to have a camera system installed at their home.

If you have questions about the rebate or voucher program, please contact us at security.cameras@dc.gov or 202-727-5124.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My first reaction is very mixed. While it's a nice idea in theory I wonder what rights you grant them to the video? I just had a, admittedly, quick look and they don't mention any of that. Given the current attitude of "the Government has a right to know you vaccine status because the Government paid for vaccine" I suspect that want full access at any time they might want it, circumstance be damned. Be careful what you wish for, you may actually get it.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Good point. I see no "fine print" anywhere saying that you grant them any rights to cameras or video. You must agree to retain video for 48 hours and register it with the police department. I see nothing that says you must provide any video on request, grant access to cams, etc.