Will this suffice for 3 3MP cameras streamed to phone?

Reaction score
Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/HP-Compaq-Desktop-Computer-8100-Elite-Intel-Core-i5-650-3-20-GHz-4GB-320-GB-HD-/381406262405

I am very new to this and am still deciding on the cameras between a Hikvision or Dahua but will probably go with the Hikvision 2032. Hopefully it can withstand winter weather:).

But I am trying to get an inexpensive PC that can run Blue Iris and stream to my phone. It will be 3 cameras, maybe 4 max. They will be 3mp and probably run 1080p. I would also change out the hard drive for a larger one but I don't plan to record 24/7, just motion detection.

Do you think this PC will work for me? Any better suggestions for cheap? Thank you! Love this board already!

P.S. I've read that NVR's are unreliable but I also read they can be a lot easier for setting up access on a phone. Any good, reliable and relatively cheap NVR suggestions would be welcomed as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is way overpriced.. It's a first generation system you can get an i5 haswell elitedesk 800 for 300..much more powerful and way more power efficient...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! I can only seem to find the cheapest one at 370 and its seller refurbished on eBay. Maybe there will be some Black Friday sales for it. I appreciate a step in the right direction

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! I can only seem to find the cheapest one at 370 and its seller refurbished on eBay. Maybe there will be some Black Friday sales for it. I appreciate a step in the right direction
Another thing to keep in mind that a haswell i3 will be about 25 percent more powerful than that first gen i5...
I purchased my last i5-4590 hp elitedesk for 317...with full 3 year warranty....so be patient.
This is a 4570...this guy is legit...i got my 4590 from him
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111807103338

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
You, sir are awesome. Sounds like you got an awesome deal but I think I'm going to jump on the one you sent me. I would normally be very patient when buying something like this but I unfortunately need to get my system up and running pretty quickly. Thank you again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You, sir are awesome. Sounds like you got an awesome deal but I think I'm going to jump on the one you sent me. I would normally be very patient when buying something like this but I unfortunately need to get my system up and running pretty quickly. Thank you again!
No problem..its still a good deal..note that it doesnt have a dvd drive...I cant think of a reason you would need one though for a blue iris machine...You can add one (they are only 15 dollars online) the problem is you need to replace a portion of the bezel...its hard to find the part (will cost another 15 for that)...I actually have a bunch of them (I purchased a lot of 10)..if you need it, ill mail you one free.

Reaction score
Wow, that is extremely generous of you. I saw that it didn't have a dvd drive and I thought the same thing as you. I can download Blue Iris from their website and unless I have Windows corrupt on me, I won't have any need for a DVD drive. Thank you very much though! You have been a great help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that is extremely generous of you. I saw that it didn't have a dvd drive and I thought the same thing as you. I can download Blue Iris from their website and unless I have Windows corrupt on me, I won't have any need for a DVD drive. Thank you very much though! You have been a great help
No problem...you dont even need a dvd to install windows, you can install from usb...
I would update the system to windows 10 when you get it. Then make sure it activates , then do a clean install using a usb drive and the windows media creation tool...(you need to do this two step procedure to get the free upgrade, you cannot do a clean install without first performing the in place upgrade and activating the system, though the new patch coming soon should allow a clean install with a windows 7 key)

Reaction score
Oh yeah. I guess I forgot about that option because when I was boot camping my macbook with 8.1, I was having so many issues with the usb install that I had to borrow an external DVD drive to make it work. And yeah, I planned to upgrade my IP system computer to 10 immediately, just wanted to make sure Blue Iris was compatible, I'm assuming it is. So I will definitely do that. I didn't know about that process for a clean install so that is very helpful! I will do that if that update isn't out when I receive the computer.

Reaction score
Hey bud, I have another question if you don't mind. Im trying to order 1 hikvision 2032 bullet and 2 hikvision 2332 dome cams. In that process, I have grasped that buying from Amazon or eBay will not give me a Hikvision warranty which I'm totally fine with. But I'm confused on the firmware part. I've read that not being able to upgrade firmware doesn't matter if I will be using Blue Iris, is that correct? If using Blue Iris should I just buy the Chinese version? Is there a difference in hardware? Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey bud, I have another question if you don't mind. Im trying to order 1 hikvision 2032 bullet and 2 hikvision 2332 dome cams. In that process, I have grasped that buying from Amazon or eBay will not give me a Hikvision warranty which I'm totally fine with. But I'm confused on the firmware part. I've read that not being able to upgrade firmware doesn't matter if I will be using Blue Iris, is that correct? If using Blue Iris should I just buy the Chinese version? Is there a difference in hardware? Thanks!
Yes you dont need firmware updates if you are using blue iris...though you should ensure that the savings make it worthwhile..also note that many china sellers are not selling the 2332, but a china variant which does not have a metal base. I would also consider buying the new 4mp hikvision cams over the 3mp..

Reaction score
Awesome, glad to have confirmation about the firmware. Dang I did not know that. I appreciate the heads up on plastic bases. I guess I'm gonna try to go for the US versions then. At least on the 2332. And yeah, I've come across the 4mp, looks awesome but I think for my first couple cams I'm gonna stick with these two. So much research before ordering haha. Thank you again!

Reaction score
Man, sorry to keep doing this but I ordered the elite desk on eBay from that guy and it turned out that it would cost an extra 50 to ship to me (I'm in Alaska, so understandable) so I'm getting a refund. But I found some i3 PCs at a good price and was hoping you could tell me if you think they would suffice for my setup. The refurbished one only has 4GB of ram but I think I've read that Blue Iris doesn't need more than that, but I'm not sure. Im more just wondering if the i3 processor on them will be good enough. Thank you again for everything!
Link 1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220693
Link 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=83-101-112

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Man, sorry to keep doing this but I ordered the elite desk on eBay from that guy and it turned out that it would cost an extra 50 to ship to me (I'm in Alaska, so understandable) so I'm getting a refund. But I found some i3 PCs at a good price and was hoping you could tell me if you think they would suffice for my setup. The refurbished one only has 4GB of ram but I think I've read that Blue Iris doesn't need more than that, but I'm not sure. Im more just wondering if the i3 processor on them will be good enough. Thank you again for everything!
Link 1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220693
Link 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=83-101-112
Honestly I would spend the extra 50 for the elitedesk...you get the warranty and an i5...its also much better built than the home systems you are looking at.
I believe newegg will charge you extra shipping too.

Reaction score
Okay thanks, yeah I'm pretty sure that one doesn't come with a warranty but I might be wrong. And you're right about the i5 but if Blue Iris doesn't need it then I'm not too worried about the extra speed. Oh yeah, Newegg would charge me extra shipping but I'll get free NewEgg premier for a month which is free shipping. I didn't think about the build quality though. I'm going to ponder it and make a decision. Thank you again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay thanks, yeah I'm pretty sure that one doesn't come with a warranty but I might be wrong. And you're right about the i5 but if Blue Iris doesn't need it then I'm not too worried about the extra speed. Oh yeah, Newegg would charge me extra shipping but I'll get free NewEgg premier for a month which is free shipping. I didn't think about the build quality though. I'm going to ponder it and make a decision. Thank you again!
It does have warranty.. Next business day.. You can see the remaining warranty by plugging in the serial number in hps warranty checker...
The savings on the Newegg systems are not worth it...

Reaction score
Dangg, I didn't know HP had a warranty checker. Now I know it does have a warranty. Cool! Thank you. I'm gonna think over it but ill prob get the elite desk